Squad member wants to give 16 year olds the vote

Squad member wants to give 16 year olds the vote

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
153d

Just what we need:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/squad-member-ayanna-pressley-calls-for-allowing-incarcerated-citizens-and-16-year-olds-to-vote/ar-AA1l6PKL?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=HCTS&cvid=00d28fc47d404b5caca23e478d3ac963&ei=21

Lake Como

Moves
153d

@jj-adams said
Just what we need:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/squad-member-ayanna-pressley-calls-for-allowing-incarcerated-citizens-and-16-year-olds-to-vote/ar-AA1l6PKL?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=HCTS&cvid=00d28fc47d404b5caca23e478d3ac963&ei=21
If they want our country to be borderless, this 16-yr old vote is peanuts.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
153d

@averagejoe1 said
If they want our country to be borderless, this 16-yr old vote is peanuts.
Non sequitur.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
153d

@jj-adams said
Just what we need:
Ha!

Because high school sophomores in this country are definitely mature enough to decide the Presidency.

🙄

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
153d

@sh76 said
Ha!

Because high school sophomores in this country are definitely mature enough to decide the Presidency.

🙄
Yeah.

I'm a self-described liberal and even I am not sure this is a great idea. I'd be interested to hear what 16-year-olds think about it.

rain

Moves
153d

@sh76 said
Ha!

🙄
He was being sarcastic.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
153d

@vivify said
He was being sarcastic.
I know. I was saying that I tend to agree that it's a bad idea.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
153d
1 edit

@suzianne said
Yeah.

I'm a self-described liberal and even I am not sure this is a great idea. I'd be interested to hear what 16-year-olds think about it.
I'm sure most 16 year olds would be happy to have the vote in theory, but I don't think most will care enough to take it seriously.

Edit: I say this as the father of a 16 year old girl. I love her dearly, but she doesn't belong anywhere near a voting booth.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
153d

Let's put it this way.

If my daughter did have the vote, there is absolutely zero question that I could "buy" it by agreeing to get her that pair of overpriced Uggs slippers she wants or for that matter, for use of the car this weekend. She would vote for Mickey Mouse for either of those things without a second thought.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
153d

@sh76 said
Let's put it this way.

If my daughter did have the vote, there is absolutely zero question that I could "buy" it by agreeing to get her that pair of overpriced Uggs slippers she wants or for that matter, for use of the car this weekend. She would vote for Mickey Mouse for either of those things without a second thought.
Good point.

rain

Moves
153d
3 edits

There are some states where 16 yr olds can legally marry.
If you're a married 16 yr old, shouldn't you then have a right to vote?

Yes, 16 yr olds shouldn't be marrying in the first place; but given that some currently are, maybe a voting exception can be made for them?

Also something to ponder: 16 year olds can legally work and their income is taxed. If they pay taxes, shouldn't that be consideration for a vote?

Lake Como

Moves
153d

@suzianne said
Yeah.

Suzianne is interested in what a 16 year old thinks. Uhh, when you get one, ask them 'why' they think what they think. You will be astounded.

Lake Como

Moves
153d

@vivify said

Yes, 16 yr olds shouldn't be marrying in the first place; but given that some currently are, maybe a voting exception can be made for them?

Also something to ponder: 16 year olds can legally work and their income is taxed. If they pay taxes, shouldn't that be consideration for a vote?
Getting married at 16 yrs old, or 9 yrs old, is a choice. The marriage status of a person has nothing to do with their being of age to vote. Do you libs have no sense of logic and common sense? You seem to be saying when they wake up after their wedding night, that they are magically of ......what, voting age? What else pray tell will they be of-age for, Vivify? Jesus H,. Why do I do this.

rain

Moves
153d

@averagejoe1 said
Getting married at 16 yrs old, or 9 yrs old, is a choice. The marriage status of a person has nothing to do with their being of age to vote. Do you libs have no sense of logic and common sense? You seem to be saying when they wake up after their wedding night, that they are magically of ......what, voting age? What else pray tell will they be of-age for, Vivify? Jesus H,. Why do I do this.
If you're a legally married 16 yr old who works and pays income taxes, you shouldn't vote...why?

You can be old enough to sign a legally binding marital contract but not vote?

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
153d
1 edit

@vivify said

14 year olds can also work. That doesn't mean they're mature enough to vote.

16 year olds are not considered mature enough to consent to sex, because they're not fully developed, biologically or socially.