Squad member wants to give 16 year olds the vote

Squad member wants to give 16 year olds the vote

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lake Como

Moves
152d

@averagejoe1 said
If my 11 year old child works in my office, stacking boxes, you are saying that he should be able to vote. And, Your comment about taxes is stupid. I could conversely say that if a 42 year old man is NOT working and is NOT paying taxes he should NOT be able to vote. Your comments are inane. However, your said comment is a PERFECT example of the failure of logic among ALL of the liberals on this site.
Why will no liberal comment on this post?
Y'all just walk away when you have no comeback. Boring. AvJoe always comes back. I just told Vivify that he was right in correcting my lack of innate knowledge of the repipients of cash money to pay off their loans so that they can travel and dine out. I always respond to your fellers. It aint fair. I could just scream, get all pent up like lily livered liberals.

Moves
152d

Anyone that has been around a classroom of 16-year olds would be horrified at the thought of them being able to vote.

Australia

Moves
152d

@averagejoe1 said
They are entitled? Tell us what age that you think would qualify a person to vote. Personally, I would say a 6-yr old should vote on matters of marketing and advertising, and curriculum to be taught in their classrooms. Many other issues as well, I just mention the ones that pertain to the world they 'will have to live in'.
Oooohhhhhh Kewpie
Ours vote at 18 and its compulsory here. Kids are actually taught about their civic responsibilities in this country, and most of our 16-year-olds would be competent to assess the issues, so we're considering giving them optional voter registration. If they're not competent they won't register anyway.
We give them driver licences and public drinking rights when they're 18, the legal age of adulthood here, so 18 is fine for compulsory voting too.

What's with the stuck letters on your keyboard? Our generation didn't grow up with keyboards but you should have mastered them by now, surely.

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
152d
3 edits

@kewpie said
Ours vote at 18 and its compulsory here. Kids are actually taught about their civic responsibilities in this country, and most of our 16-year-olds would be competent to assess the issues, so we're considering giving them optional voter registration. If they're not competent they won't register anyway.
We give them driver licences and public drinking rights when they're 18 ...[text shortened]... ard? Our generation didn't grow up with keyboards but you should have mastered them by now, surely.
It's a technique to emulate and emphasize a long drawn out 'oooohhhhh' rather than a short sharp 'oh'. it can give a post a bit of colour or shape.

Unlike what an internet bore might post.

(Go on, you can admit it, as you were reading the sentence you read it as 'oooohhhh' rather than, ah hah, here's my chance to bore the undies off everyone. That came later.)

Lake Como

Moves
152d

@kewpie said
We give them driver licences and public drinking rights when they're 18 ...[text shortened]... ard? Our generation didn't grow up with keyboards but you should have mastered them by now, surely.
You don't answer my question, what a surprise. So, you say the age 18 twice in this post, so what is the deal with entitling younger children to vote? What is your issue. Don't go off the handle like Sonhouse does.
'
And do you love the guys who say that if you work, you should be a ble to vote. It would follow logically that if you DONT work, that you should not be able to vote. What is it with you libs?

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
152d
1 edit

@averagejoe1 said
You don't answer my question, what a surprise. So, you say the age 18 twice in this post, so what is the deal with entitling younger children to vote? What is your issue. Don't go off the handle like Sonhouse does.
'
And do you love the guys who say that if you work, you should be a ble to vote. It would follow logically that if you DONT work, that you should not be able to vote. What is it with you libs?
Your tone is too conversational for kewpie, try to sound like a robot, you know we're going to get to hear about you capitalising 'DON'T' from the gramma-nana now.

Edit:

It'll go something like this,

'What's with the stuck caps lock on your keyboard? Our generation didn't grow up with keyboards but you should have mastered them by now, surely.'

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
152d

@jj-adams said
Anyone that has been around a classroom of 16-year olds would be horrified at the thought of them being able to vote.
A 16 year old in 2024 who has any interest in politics has access to far more information on their phone than adult voters had from all media say 25 years ago.

Most probably wouldn't vote but I haven't heard a rational reason yet why they shouldn't be able to.

rain

Moves
152d
1 edit

@jj-adams said
Why would being married or working at McDonalds after school qualify someone to vote?
The only qualification needed to vote is being a U.S. citizen. You can be a lazy, unemployed useless slob with no hope of ever getting laid and still vote. Your attempt to downplay people "working at McDonalds" is meaningless.

If 16 yr olds are legally able to sign a binding marriage contract and pay taxes, they're being treated as adults. Some of those states also allow these same teens to drive and handle firearms; very adult responsibilities. For criminal acts they can be tried as adults. So why can't they vote?

For the record, I'm not actually sold on the idea that all 16 year olds should vote. But valid points do exist for letting certain teens do so.

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
152d

@sh76 said
Ha!

Because high school sophomores in this country are definitely mature enough to decide the Presidency.

🙄
Do you think jj is mature enough. Do you think average Joe is mature enough
We all know why right wingers don’t like the idea
In my country you are old enough to get married, have a baby and pay taxes and of course live with the screw ups that 18+ idiots put into power.
There are middle aged people in your country who are going to vote for trump and you worry that 16yr olds are mature enough 🤔

Lake Como

Moves
152d
2 edits

@no1marauder said
A 16 year old in 2024 who has any interest in politics has access to far more information on their phone than adult voters had from all media say 25 years ago.

Most probably wouldn't vote but I haven't heard a rational reason yet why they shouldn't be able to.
I think being only 16, not fully developed, is a good reason to keep them away from the polls. Here is an article speaking to the lack of adult reasoning in a 16 year old. There are hundreds of these links.
If this writer is correct, then they are not adults. Therefore, the reason to not vote.
And the question is not 'whether or not they would vote anyway'. That is not the question.

Development Milestones for Your 16-Year-Old Child
A 16-year-old knows that adulthood is not far away, so they will start to show more independence and engage in less conflict with their parents. They also will begin making decisions with that independence in mind. However, their choices may not always feel like the right ones to their parents.Mar 10, 2022

Lake Como

Moves
152d

@vivify said

If 16 yr olds are legally able to sign a binding marriage contract and pay taxes, they're being treated as adults.
You are correct, inasmuch as ascertaining the right to, or the legal ability to, marry or pay taxes.
Are there not different considerations when granting a right to affect the running of our society to a 16 year old.? If they marry, their action has NO effect on the rest of us. Secondly, if a 16 year old invents an engine that runs on water and makes millions of dollars this month, taxes would be due on that windfall, no question, no matter his age.

Sincerely, Joe.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
152d

@averagejoe1 said
I think being only 16, not fully developed, is a good reason to keep them away from the polls. Here is an article speaking to the lack of adult reasoning in a 16 year old. There are hundreds of these links.
If this writer is correct, then they are not adults. Therefore, the reason to not vote.
And the question is not 'whether or not they would vote anyway'. That ...[text shortened]... n mind. However, their choices may not always feel like the right ones to their parents.Mar 10, 2022
"They are not adults" is an arbitrary conclusion.

They seem to be "adult" enough to be treated as such if they commit certain crimes.

Lake Como

Moves
152d

@wajoma said
Your tone is too conversational for kewpie, try to sound like a robot, you know we're going to get to hear about you capitalising 'DON'T' from the gramma-nana now.

Edit:

It'll go something like this,

'What's with the stuck caps lock on your keyboard? Our generation didn't grow up with keyboards but you should have mastered them by now, surely.'
Thankyou, I will try to soften up, but truly, I wrote that 'don't' as if I was saying it in a conversational situtation. It would require emphasis, would it not? I am trying to be a good converser! Sorry Kewpie.