1. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    30 Aug '16 11:33
    Not sure if this point's been made, but are snorkelling diving parties who gather at beaches in full body wetsuits, or surfers dressed the same, told to remove their gear?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Aug '16 14:081 edit
    Originally posted by kmax87
    Not sure if this point's been made, but are snorkelling diving parties who gather at beaches in full body wetsuits, or surfers dressed the same, told to remove their gear?
    The above is a fallacious argument. First of all a full wet suit is not a religious garb, a burkini is despite claims to the contrary, its an expression of religiosity. Secondly, one would expect to see people on a beach with diving or snorkelling gear (this is important due to French secular laws) and thirdly wet suits don't remind people of a religion which heralds values that are alien and offensive to many people and whose extreme elements had only just recently mowed through a crowded promenade in a truck intent on killing as many people as possible. I am not entirely sure what kind of fallacy it is, maybe a fallacy of false analogy?

A false analogy is a logical fallacy that occurs when someone applies facts from one situation to another situation but the situations are substantially different and the same conclusions cannot logically be drawn.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/False_analogy
  3. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    30 Aug '16 14:23
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    The above is a fallacious argument. First of all a full wet suit is not a religious garb, a burkini is despite claims to the contrary, its an expression of religiosity. Secondly, one would expect to see people on a beach with diving or snorkelling gear (this is important due to French secular laws) and thirdly wet suits don't remind people of a rel ...[text shortened]... nd the same conclusions cannot logically be drawn.

The wetsuit looks pathetic too.

Chill!
    It's international good news and Vino day!
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Aug '16 15:46
    The above is a fallacious argument. First of all a full wet suit is not a religious garb, a burkini is despite claims to the contrary, its an expression of religiosity. Secondly, one would expect to see people on a beach with diving or snorkelling gear (this is important due to French secular laws) and thirdly wet suits don't remind people of a rel ...[text shortened]... nd the same conclusions cannot logically be drawn.

We get it; you think discrimination against Muslims is A-OK. That's your "unbiased" view.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Aug '16 15:53
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    We get it; you think discrimination against Muslims is A-OK. That's your "unbiased" view.
    I have noticed a rather unsavoury proclivity among the contributors to the debates forum for attempting to use assumed values that have not been explicitly expressed in order to form them into cyber rockets to launch against their opponents in debate. This type of transparent attack is rarely if ever successful and in many instances simple logic and reason is all that is needed to overturn it.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Aug '16 16:08
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    The wetsuit looks pathetic too.

Chill!
    It's international good news and Vino day!
    😀
  7. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    30 Aug '16 21:18
    From Facebook.

No woman in a burqa (or a hijab or a burkini) has ever done me any harm. But I was sacked (without explanation) by a man in a suit. Men in suits missold me pensions and endowments, costing me thousands of pounds. A man in a suit led us into a disastrous and illegal war. Men in suits led the banks and crashed the world's economy. Other men in suits then increased the misery to millions through austerity.

If we are to start telling people what to wear, maybe we should ban suits.

Henry Stewart, London
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Aug '16 07:431 edit
    Originally posted by finnegan
    From Facebook.

No woman in a burqa (or a hijab or a burkini) has ever done me any harm. But I was sacked (without explanation) by a man in a suit. Men in suits missold me pensions and endowments, costing me thousands of pounds. A man in a suit led us into a disastrous and illegal war. Men in suits led the banks and crashed the world's economy. ...[text shortened]... tart telling people what to wear, maybe we should ban suits.

Henry Stewart, London
    Men in suits don't drive trucks loaded with explosives through crowded beach promenades trying to mow down as many people as possible. Just sayin.
  9. Joined
    04 Sep '16
    Moves
    04 Sep '16 15:52
    Nor was the man who drove that truck in a burkini... just saying
  10. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    07 Sep '16 13:00
    Men in suits don't drive trucks loaded with explosives through crowded beach promenades trying to mow down as many people as possible. Just sayin.
    No, men in suits belong to the think tanks and economic policy fora that enable politicians to find plausible reasons to justify going to war.
  11. Germany
    Moves
    07 Sep '16 17:07
    I have noticed a rather unsavoury proclivity among the contributors to the debates forum for attempting to use assumed values that have not been explicitly expressed in order to form them into cyber rockets to launch against their opponents in debate. This type of transparent attack is rarely if ever successful and in many instances simple logic and reason is all that is needed to overturn it.
    Unfortunately, being a sleazy bigot is the only "rational" explanation for why someone would be concerned about people's choice of beachwear.
  12. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    07 Sep '16 17:31

Howabout Christian priests and their dog-collars or monks and nuns. Should they be kept away from public places in case anyone is offended by their religious clothing?
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Sep '16 17:37
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Howabout Christian priests and their dog-collars or monks and nuns. Should they be kept away from public places in case anyone is offended by their religious clothing?
    I cannot remember the first or last time I saw a priest or a nun swimming in the sea in full religious garb. Perhaps your experience has been different.
  14. Germany
    Moves
    07 Sep '16 17:45
    I cannot remember the first or last time I saw a priest or a nun swimming in the sea in full religious garb. Perhaps your experience has been different.
    I see. So it's only beaches where it matters?
  15. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    07 Sep '16 19:271 edit
    Why do you still think it matters what you remember or think is normal? Why do you think you have a right to tell other people how to dress?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree