Unanimous Supreme Court restores Trump to CO ballot

Unanimous Supreme Court restores Trump to CO ballot

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lake Como

Moves
72d

@mchill said
Someone please explain how this makes any sense.

It doesn't make any sense to me at all, but you're the lawyer so I was hoping you could explain it.
Doesn’t sound like one to me.

rain

Moves
72d
1 edit

Constitutional arguments aside, this is ended up being the best decision.

In this era of Republicans drafted articles of impeachments despite having no legal basis to do so. Trump started accusing Biden of insurrection, using the name "insurrectionist Joe". Red states would've trumped-up insurrection charges and thrown Biden off the ballot.

SCOTUS' reasons may have been wrong but their ruling ended up being for the best

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
72d
1 edit

@vivify said
Constitutional arguments aside, this is ended up being the best decision.

In this era of Republicans drafted articles of impeachments despite having no legal basis to do so. Trump started accusing Biden of insurrection, using the name "insurrectionist Joe". Red states would've trumped-up insurrection charges and thrown Biden off the ballot.

SCOTUS' reasons may have been wrong but their ruling ended up being for the best
With the exception of issues regarding the inalienable Natural Rights of the People, Constitutional questions should be decided on the intent of the Framers, not what judges now think is "best".

Maybe it would be "best" if we allowed someone under 35 or someone born in a foreign country to be President. But those options are precluded by the Constitution. Prior court decisions, including one written by a present justice of the SCOTUS, have allowed States in their Constitutional function of holding elections to enforce such qualifications even on primary ballots; why they cannot do so in the case of the "Insurrection" Clause of the 14th Amendment is not rationally explained in any of the three opinions.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
72d
2 edits

@no1marauder
But it would have to be a political decision on both sides the tweed, it was a unanimous vote so representatives of both parties voted it down.
I would have thought a political decision would have been one by one party with objections by the other side but unanimous means libs and conservatives thought alike on this one, probably differing logical paths but leading to the same conclusion on both sides.
The bottom line is section 3 is buried in the dust bin of history.
I wonder if it could be used if there was like that dual from long ago or a plain old murder done by a sitting POTUS, could they invoke section 3 then?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
72d

@sonhouse said
@no1marauder
But it would have to be a political decision on both sides the tweed, it was a unanimous vote so representatives of both parties voted it down.
I would have thought a political decision would have been one by one party with objections by the other side but unanimous means libs and conservatives thought alike on this one, probably differing logical paths but le ...[text shortened]... dual from long ago or a plain old murder done by a sitting POTUS, could they invoke section 3 then?
Speculation is something I don't like to do, but it's quite possible the three justice concurrence was based on the same logic Vivify just stated.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
72d

@no1marauder
In other words that protects any presidential candidate from being kicked off the ballot for just about any reason, making section 3 a moot issue. Goodbye section 3, nice knowing you.

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
72d

@averagejoe1 said
Doesn’t sound like one to me.
Your opinion is less than 0 in my books. I don't care what you have to say.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
72d
1 edit

@AverageJoe1
What do you mean by "It doesn't sound like one to me''?
The context makes us think you were putting down #1 as a charlatan lawyer.
Doesn't sound like [insert name of lawyer] is a real lawyer to me.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
72d
2 edits

@sh76 said
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2024/03/04/us/supreme-court-ruling-trump-colorado.html

This applies also to Maine and all other states that were thinking of trying to keep Trump off the ballot.

Per Curiam unanimous decision. Everyone agreed that states can't enforce Section 3 to keep a Presidential candidate off the ballot. The Justices did disagree on whether Congress ...[text shortened]... can't do it and left it at that.

But all in all, this does not appear to have been a close case.
Is Hassan v. The State of Colorado overruled sub silentio?:

"Abdul Karim Hassan is a naturalized citizen who wishes to run for the Presidency of the United States. This even though the Constitution says “[n]o person except a natural born Citizen . . . shall be eligible to the Office of President.”"

"we expressly reaffirm here, a state’s legitimate interest in protecting the integrity and practical functioning of the political process permits it to exclude from the ballot candidates who are constitutionally prohibited from assuming office.

"Entered for the Court

Neil M. Gorsuch
Circuit Judge"

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/appellate-courts/ca10/12-1190/12-1190-2012-09-04.html

EDIT: It seems that the case is not considered "binding precedent" anyway because there was no oral argument. However, "It may be cited, however, for its persuasive value consistent with Fed. R. App. P. 32.1 and 10th Cir. R. 32.1."

Is Gorsuch's opinion in Hassan now incorrect?

Lake Como

Moves
72d

@no1marauder said
With the exception of issues regarding the inalienable Natural Rights of the People, Constitutional questions should be decided on the intent of the Framers, not what judges now think is "best".

Maybe it would be "best" if we allowed someone under 35 or someone born in a foreign country to be President. But those options are precluded by the Constitution. Prior court d ...[text shortened]... Insurrection" Clause of the 14th Amendment is not rationally explained in any of the three opinions.
What?

Lake Como

Moves
72d

@sonhouse said
@AverageJoe1
What do you mean by "It doesn't sound like one to me''?
The context makes us think you were putting down #1 as a charlatan lawyer.
Doesn't sound like [insert name of lawyer] is a real lawyer to me.
Yes, he might possibly be a paralegal, with access to Lexis Nexis. He may write decisions for judges, has good writing and research abilities. Most lawyers do not write such renderings. Their plebes do.

rain

Moves
72d

@no1marauder said
By that metric SCOTUS would've never ruled in favor of gay marriage, or possibly women voting. It was that very metric that resulted in the Dred Scott decision.

Don't get me wrong: I agree the decision of any judge should be based in law and not personal ideology. We're just not going to get that from SCOTUS for at least the next 20 years.

I was merely pointing out that this round partisan rulings was a lucky accident in that it prevents future political quackery with right-wingers trying to ban opposition from polls.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
72d

@vivify said
By that metric SCOTUS would've never ruled in favor of gay marriage, or possibly women voting. It was that very metric that resulted in the Dred Scott decision.

Don't get me wrong: I agree the decision of any judge should be based in law and not personal ideology. We're just not going to get that from SCOTUS for at least the next 20 years.

I was merely pointing out ...[text shortened]... n that it prevents future political quackery with right-wingers trying to ban opposition from polls.
I suggest you re-read the first half sentence of my post. No "metric" considering Natural Rights ever approved of slavery.

w

Moves
72d

@sh76 said
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2024/03/04/us/supreme-court-ruling-trump-colorado.html

This applies also to Maine and all other states that were thinking of trying to keep Trump off the ballot.

Per Curiam unanimous decision. Everyone agreed that states can't enforce Section 3 to keep a Presidential candidate off the ballot. The Justices did disagree on whether Congress ...[text shortened]... can't do it and left it at that.

But all in all, this does not appear to have been a close case.
Will you start a thread when the 'unconditional immunity' decision finally comes down?

rain

Moves
72d

@no1marauder said
I suggest you re-read the first half sentence of my post. No "metric" considering Natural Rights ever approved of slavery.
The term "natural rights" doesn't appear in the Constitution.