1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    24 Feb '16 19:04
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Dude, when Branson gets this space tourist thing up in the air, i'll gladly buy you a ticket so you can see the curvature of the Earth with your own eyes.
    I think your money is very, very safe.
    Every high-altitude balloon machine-driven vehicle has demonstrated a flat horizon.
    Only when a camera is burdened with a fish-eye lens do we "see" any "curvature."
  2. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    24 Feb '16 19:41
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Every high-altitude balloon machine-driven vehicle has demonstrated a flat horizon.
    Only when a camera is burdened with a fish-eye lens do we "see" any "curvature."
    unless it's faked...

right???
    the caveat must be included, right???
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    24 Feb '16 19:55
    Originally posted by rookie54
    unless it's faked...

right???
    the caveat must be included, right???
    I think his money on a ticket is safe because I don't believe they will be successful in the venture.
    NASA's "pictures" of the earth are--- without question--- faked.
    That's what computer generated images are, really.
    If you took your iPhone or I took my Android on a spaceship 250K miles outside of earth's atmosphere, we'd be able to take hella better pics than anything NASA has offered to date of this lovely oblate spheroid... that looks perfectly round, otherwise... that continually changes the size of the continents... that has photoshopped cloud formations... that... that... that...
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Feb '16 20:03
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Generally accepted by whom?
    The silly formula flat-earthers use or something more precise?
    And what do you mean by rate of curvature?
    That is an easy number. It's called the radius. Earth has about a 4000 mile radius.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Feb '16 20:071 edit
    The pictures of Earth taken from ISS shows curved Earth but if you are saying they are using some kind of fisheye lens then the window that they take the picture from would also be curved. It is basically a rectangular window and the Earth is curved in that view but the window is still rectangular not some kind of distorted shape.

You like taking these kind of devils advocate positions but you are doomed to failure.

Here are some taken from the ISS, scroll down and you see one where the Earth is shown curved but the solar cells are straight as an arrow, If it had been taken with a fisheye lens the solar cells would be curved also.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-02/15-years-of-continuous-human-space-time/6905914
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Feb '16 20:16
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    The pictures of Earth taken from ISS shows curved Earth but if you are saying they are using some kind of fisheye lens then the window that they take the picture from would also be curved. It is basically a rectangular window and the Earth is curved in that view but the window is still rectangular not some kind of distorted shape.

You like taking these kind of devils advocate positions but you are doomed to failure.
    He likes failure.
  7. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    24 Feb '16 20:23
    I think his money on a ticket is safe because I don't believe they will be successful in the venture.
    If you took your iPhone or I took my Android on a spaceship 250K miles outside of earth's atmosphere, we'd be able to take hella better p ...[text shortened]... the size of the continents... that has photoshopped cloud formations... that... that... that...
    I'm starting to think you're not pulling our leg.
  8. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    24 Feb '16 21:28
    If you took your iPhone or I took my Android on a spaceship 250K miles outside of earth's atmosphere, we'd be able to take hella better p ...[text shortened]... the size of the continents... that has photoshopped cloud formations... that... that... that...
    What's at the edge of our flat earth? Has anyone ever been there? Are there any photos?
  9. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 Feb '16 22:091 edit
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    What's at the edge of our flat earth? Has anyone ever been there? Are there any photos?
    You look down onto the backs of four elephants.

Surely everyone knows that?!
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    25 Feb '16 03:07
    Originally posted by Startreader
    You look down onto the backs of four elephants.

Surely everyone knows that?!
    Standing on a turtle.
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    25 Feb '16 18:12
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Standing on a turtle.
    Stop stalling, wolfgang59...
  12. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    25 Feb '16 18:22
    Originally posted by sonhouse

You like taking these ...[text shortened]... also.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-02/15-years-of-continuous-human-space-time/6905914
    Anything from NASA is immediately suspect, given the organization's long-standing fraudulent activities and presentations.

Nonetheless, the appearance of curvature from, say, an airplane window at 35,000' is a result of a distorted filter, i.e., either the window or the camera itself.
    Simply compare that apparent curvature with the expanse over which the plane is flying: the "curvature" is not/cannot line up.
    Better yet: observe the expanse from the point of view of the pilot's cabin.
    Literally zero curvature in any direction while the nose of the plane is held steadily toward the horizon--- directly straight, not down.
  13. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    25 Feb '16 18:37
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Antarctica.
    Been there, but no one has seen its end.
    Some.
  14. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    25 Feb '16 18:51
    Antarctica.
    Some.
    So the earth is flat and Antarctica goes all round the edge, sort of like a cheese filled crust on a pizza? How do you flat earthers account for people who have crossed the Antarctic and where is the South Pole?
  15. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    25 Feb '16 19:00
    Antarctica.
    Some.
    Clearly the Earth isn't flat.

The real question is, why do you want it to be?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree