I'll name THAT in one...

I'll name THAT in one...

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

N

Moves
09 Apr 15

This might be a difficult one for non science fiction fans. A clue: the author died a few years ago, of a heart attack I think. He was very young. It's a longer extract which might help; also longer to allow people to appreciate the vivid imagination of the writer:

The weapon-pulse was so strong it continued into the surface of the planetary fragment to a depth of several kilometres, blasting a brief, livid tunnel a hundred metres across vertically into the rock. A torrent of lava splashed out around the ship's outermost protective fields as the tunnel collapsed, the spattering, cooling rain of molten rock following the pulverized, atomised debris of the Zihdren-Remnanter ship and the centre of the blue-glowing bowl as they too flew into the colour-wild skies above Ablate.

At the boundaries of the world's truncated horizon, some larger parts of the obliterated dome, still whirling away from the initial explosion, burned bright as flame as they plunged into the surrounding curtains of light.

Deep beneath its assaulted surface, automatic systems sensed the blast and the resulting wobble in the tiny world's course, and corrected for it.

Where the little blue oasis of light and life had been there was now a larger, deeper crater, glowing white and yellow and red from its boiling centre to its ragged edge. By the time the crater surface had cooled sufficiently to show how it would look once it had solidified completely, the 8*Churkun was long gone.

Illumination

The Razor's Edge

Moves
09 Apr 15

Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
The World According to Garp?
That's it...

Illumination

The Razor's Edge

Moves
09 Apr 15

Originally posted by st dominics preview
me, me

'The World According To Garp'

damn. beaten again...
No, not beaten...participating...😉

"In the world according to Garp, we are all terminal cases."
--John Irving

Illumination

The Razor's Edge

Moves
09 Apr 15

The World According to Garp?
BTW GBS...you should probably buy NER a beer for saving you from an unpleasant midnight scuffle with the SO...

...just saying. ..😛

Illumination

The Razor's Edge

Moves
10 Apr 15

Another book:

"Every trail has its end, and every calamity its lesson."

Moves
10 Apr 15

Originally posted by hakima
BTW GBS...you should probably buy NER a beer for saving you from an unpleasant midnight scuffle with the SO...

...just saying. ..😛
If we (NER and I) should ever meet I will be happy to do just that because that book is my second favourite book after My Family and Other Animals. Thanks for that because I was concerned about my blurting out the title later tonight while I slept. 🙂

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
10 Apr 15

This might be a difficult one for non science fiction fans. A clue: the author died a few years ago, of a heart attack I think. He was very young. It's a longer extract which might help; also longer to allow people to appreciate the vivid imagination of the writer:

The weapon-pulse was so strong it continued into the surface of the planetar ...[text shortened]... how it would look once it had solidified completely, the 8*Churkun was long gone.
The Hydrogen Sonata by Ian Banks

Not that I knew the quote but the species name was quite telling 😉

N

Moves
10 Apr 15

Originally posted by Ponderable
The Hydrogen Sonata by Ian Banks

Not that I knew the quote but the species name was quite telling 😉
That's it, well done Ponderable. 🙂

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
14 Apr 15

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
14 Apr 15
1 edit

That's it, well done Ponderable. 🙂
The Alien frowned briefly and consulted what appeared to be some species of clipboard which it was holding in its thin and spindly hand.
[...]
"You're a j3rk," repeated the Alien,"a complete a$$hole"

*I left out a portion of the dialogue which would make it too evident 🙂

N

Moves
14 Apr 15

The Alien frowned briefly and consulted what appeared to be some species of clipboard which it was holding in its thin and spindly hand.
[...]
"You're a j3rk," repeated the Alien,"a complete a$$hole"

*I left out a portion of the dialogue which would make it too evident 🙂
Life, the Universe, and Everything

Moves
15 Apr 15

There were 12 people at the last supper. Half a dozen at Kitty Hawk. Archimedes was on his own in the bath.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
15 Apr 15

Life, the Universe, and Everything
That's right!

Moves
17 Apr 15

That's right!
Tiger Feet, Mud.