1. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    07 Apr '24 17:493 edits
    @divegeester said
    You keep calling me your nemesis and then yesterday you posted a definition of “nemesis” stating that a person’s nemesis is responsible for their “downfall”. You have had your underpants up your butt about it ever since.

Quite amusing πŸ˜‚
    nem·e·sis
    /ˈnemΙ™sΙ™s/
    noun
    the inescapable agent of someone's or something's downfall.
    "the balance beam was the team's nemesis, as two gymnasts fell from the apparatus"
    a long-standing rival; an archenemy.

In our case pick 2, being you need to be told EVERYTHING!!! πŸ™‚ The downfall would be yours, as because of you I am not longer a contributor of Metallica, all because of you. Feel Proud?

EDIT: #3
    -VR πŸ™‚
  2. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    07 Apr '24 18:10
    @the-gravedigger said
    Lucifer means light bringer but he was a bad a$$ dude.
    How well I know the term, Lucifer! Devil, Serpent, and Satan are also derived from Latin. Although Latin is said to be a dead language, it lives on through the Romance languages. English can be considered a Romance language, since around 60 percent of the English vocabulary is based on Latin, directly or indirectly.

English is a second language for me, and I knew those terms for Lucifer long before I learned English. But learning them in English came quite easy for me, since I easily recognized them from my first language: Lucifero, Diavolo, Serpente, and Satana.

However, just like many things the Romans took from other cultures and countries, to eventually make many of them better, or worse, Latin has quite a few Greek words in its own vocabulary.

The etymology of words is very interesting, especially when it comes to naming.

Lucifer is not a bad guy, but his reputation is. I believe I have expressed this opinion before.

To enlighten is not a bad thing. And if it takes eating apples to make us wiser, so be it. I have eaten bushels and bushels of them. But after the first dozen, the effect is not cumulative.

“Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves. Be ye therefore wise as serpents and harmless as doves."
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Apr '24 20:10
    @very-rusty said
    nem·e·sis
    /ˈnemΙ™sΙ™s/
    noun
    the inescapable agent of someone's or something's downfall.
    I’m sorry that I was the cause of your downfall πŸ˜”
  4. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    07 Apr '24 20:17
    @divegeester said
    Nice to see some “love” between you two.πŸ‘
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Apr '24 20:31
    @great-big-stees said
    Nice to see some “love” between you two.πŸ‘
    Poor Rusty; I meant him no harm.
  6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    08 Apr '24 16:04
    @divegeester said
    Poor Rusty; I meant him no harm.
    LOL@ gooster, poor you little man. I'd still be with Metallica and helping and a lot more than you do for sure! Take that to the Bank! πŸ™‚ I am sure your clan members are very happy with you. πŸ™‚

-VR
  7. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    08 Apr '24 16:051 edit
    @divegeester said
    Actually you'd be responsible for your Clan losing a dedicated once loyal Hard working player, unlike yourself who likes to pretend to be so knowledgeable about all there is to know in this world.

-VR
  8. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    08 Apr '24 21:09
    @pettytalk said
    How well I know the term, Lucifer! Devil, Serpent, and Satan are also derived from Latin. Although Latin is said to be a dead language, it lives on through the Romance languages. English can be considered a Romance language, since around 60 percent of the English vocabulary is based on Latin, directly or indirectly.

English is a second language for me, and I knew those t ...[text shortened]... you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves. Be ye therefore wise as serpents and harmless as doves."
    In shadows’ guise, the fallen one weaves, Lucifer, the wolf, dons woolen fleece. Beneath the moon’s cold gaze, he roams, A predator masked, a secret he keeps.
    His eyes, twin flames, betray his guise, A hunger unquenched, a thirst for lies. He stalks the fold, whispers in the night, Luring the innocent with beguiling might.
    But beware, dear sheep, his silver tongue, For woven in deceit, his wicked song. He feasts on trust, devours the meek, A wolf in sheep’s clothing, cunning and sleek.

Will this do?
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    08 Apr '24 21:57
    But beware, dear sheep, his silver tongue, For woven in deceit, his wicked song. He feasts on trust, devours the meek, A wolf in sheep’s clothing, cunning and sleek

Always keeping a close watch on you t-g! πŸ˜›

-VR
  10. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    08 Apr '24 22:14
    @very-rusty said
    But beware, dear sheep, his silver tongue, For woven in deceit, his wicked song. He feasts on trust, devours the meek, A wolf in sheep’s clothing, cunning and sleek

Always keeping a close watch on you t-g! πŸ˜›

-VR
    πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€
  11. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    08 Apr '24 23:05
    @the-gravedigger said
    In shadows’ guise, the fallen one weaves, Lucifer, the wolf, dons woolen fleece. Beneath the moon’s cold gaze, he roams, A predator masked, a secret he keeps.
    His eyes, twin flames, betray his guise, A hunger unquenched, a thirst for lies. He stalks the fold, whispers in the night, Luring the innocent with beguiling might.
    But beware, dear sheep, his silver tongue, ...[text shortened]... feasts on trust, devours the meek, A wolf in sheep’s clothing, cunning and sleek.

Will this do?
    It will do fine!

In shadows’ guise, the fallen one weaves,
    Lucifer, the wolf, dons woolen fleece.
    Beneath the moon’s cold gaze, he roams,
    A predator masked, a secret he keeps.
    His eyes, twin flames, betray his guise,
    A hunger unquenched, a thirst for lies.

He stalks the fold, whispers in the night,
    Luring the innocent with beguiling might.
    But beware, dear sheep, his silver tongue,
    For woven in deceit, his wicked song.
    He feasts on trust, devours the meek,
    A wolf in sheep’s clothing, cunning and sleek.

Will do his tricks, hidden up his sleeves,
    Quick as lightening, can't be spotted,
    For those proud to know, the lies were told,
    Tomorrow when truth be told, tears uncounted,
    Too late the costume shed, the wolf revealed.
    Again the tale was told, beware! the looks unfold.

"No one has ascended into heaven except the one who descended from heaven—the Son of Man."

"How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!

For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High."

Lucifer is the Dean of our earthly university. He assures that we have learned our lessons well down here. The testing consists of tempting/testing everyone, and if we pass the test(s) our souls are finally allowed to graduate.

YouTube
  12. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    09 Apr '24 12:46
    @pettytalk said
    It will do fine!

In shadows’ guise, the fallen one weaves,
    Lucifer, the wolf, dons woolen fleece.
    Beneath the moon’s cold gaze, he roams,
    A predator masked, a secret he keeps.
    His eyes, twin flames, betray his guise,
    A hunger unquenched, a thirst for lies.

He stalks the fold, whispers in the night,
    Luring the innocent with beguiling might.
    But beware, de ...[text shortened]... e test(s) our souls are finally allowed to graduate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7SECM3vYKI
    A nice improvement.
  13. hirsute rooster
    Moves
    14 Apr '24 22:56
    Apparently, the speed of light has not been measured directly ... only by bouncing light off a mirror and measuring the two-way speed. I.e. to a point and then back again.

Measuring from point to point is fraught with the difficulties of synchronising clocks - relativity gets in the way when clocks move. Without accurate clocks, you can't get accurate speed. Bouncing light back to the start point means you only need one clock - so total speed is measurable - but not the outward, nor the return speed. Only the total.

So it's theoretically possible that the speed of light is direction dependant. But impossible to verify.

Very interesting channel - and their take on the speed of light:
    YouTube

I'm sure the video will explain it much better then I could.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree