1. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    19 Dec '14 00:47
    Ms Hakima
    Billy Shakespeare did not write 'poetry'. He employed part rhyming couplets in his prose. The pressure in such is not as intense as in our friend's almost (1 line short) limerick. I would agree that in the popular music idiom, artists such as the great Mr Zimmerman have got away with some fairly awful pairs of 'rhyming' words. But 'police' and 'least'??? That is a 'non-rhyme' too far.
    Anyway, do you have a view on BB??
  2. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    19 Dec '14 00:48
    Additionally, the poem is a proper quatrain, which form does not require the rhyming of the words, "thinking" and "discipline".
  3. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    19 Dec '14 00:491 edit
    Originally posted by Blood On The Tracks
    Ms Hakima
    Billy Shakespeare did not write 'poetry'. He employed part rhyming couplets in his prose. The pressure in such is not as intense as in our friend's almost (1 line short) limerick. I would agree that in the popular music idiom, artists such as the great Mr Zimmerman have got away with some fairly awful pairs of 'rhyming' words. But 'police' and 'least'??? That is a 'non-rhyme' too far.
    Anyway, do you have a view on BB??
    Is a sonnet not a poem?

As for my view on BB...to each their own...I only hope she can be as proud of her bosom at age 52 as I am of my own. I understand the enjoyment a woman feels when being gazed upon and appreciated. As for the issue of 13 year old boys (of which I assume is every male on this site) chancing upon them...if it is a rule, then let the mods regulate that...the boys will see breasts here or a click away...

Live and let live...
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    19 Dec '14 00:553 edits
    A 'Quatrain' is a 4 line POEM (courtesy of WIKI). Their examples use very obvious rhymes (cry, die etc)
    A sonnet is a sonnet. A poem is a poem. However, I will base my argument on that point on the fact that Will S is known for a few rather good PLAYS rather than SONNETS. A fact that you will possibly agree with
  5. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    19 Dec '14 01:061 edit
    Hello again Hakima
    I 'wiki'ed your 'Quatrain' (I am nothing if not honest). It is a 4 line POEM. The examples on the all-knowing wiki all clearly rhyme. 'cry' and 'die' , that sort of thing. I could argue that a 'sonnet' is a 'sonnet', and hence not a poem. However, I will base my argument on that front on the fact that WS is rat ...[text shortened]... his PLAYS than his SONNETS. A fact that I am sure you will agree with.Do you have a view on BB??
    I surely hope you looked beyond wiki...dictionary definitions indicate that quatrains often have alternate rhyming schemes, but are not necessarily required.

The calling the poetic form of the sonnet into question or arguing from the perspective that Mr. Shakespeare's sonnets are less known than his plays are both straw an tactics...surely you have better discussion techniques than that to state your points. However, in response to your asserting that Shakespeare's sonnets are less known than his plays; I think you will find that point of view challenged in academic circles. Certainly Shakespearian scholars would argue.

See above for my position on the illustrious Ms. beaver.
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    19 Dec '14 01:12
    Hakima. I am unfamiliar with the term 'straw an tactics'?? Please explain (or edit your previous post, as you did about BB, in an attempt to make me look foolish!!) At least with WIKI I gave the source of my information. Vague references to 'dictionaries' is really not good enough
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    19 Dec '14 01:17
    And I am afraid I am in the lower range of arguer who have no 'better discussion technique than to state my points'???? I don't quite know what else to do. I am sure you will tell me. Another sweeping statement about 'scholars' and Will S's 'plays vs sonnets'. Evidence? Source? You have a bewildering ability to edit your previous posts . What a fun game that must be.
  8. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    19 Dec '14 01:26
    Hakima. I am unfamiliar with the term 'straw an tactics'?? Please explain (or edit your previous post, as you did about BB, in an attempt to make me look foolish!!) At least with WIKI I gave the source of my information. Vague references to 'dictionaries' is really not good enough
    If you think my editing was an attempt to make you look foolish, there is nothing I can do about that...you will think and feel what you will...I will assure you making you look foolish is not in my intent nor power.

I suggest starting with the definition found in the Merriam Webster dictionary. Additionally, I suggest you reread the wiki definition, which offers a mere three of the twelve possible rhyming schemes...of which includes the CABA rhyme scheme, according to the poet's collective.

Please accept my apologies for the omission of the letter "m" in the term "straw man".
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    19 Dec '14 01:30
    Ah . 'Straw Man' Your very own Lou Reed. Great track from his 'New York' album. Well done for researching wiki. I shall look up your dictionary reference anon. Now then, what's all this about 'only being able to argue by stating my points'??? Is there another, higher, way. All tips to make me a better person much appreciated (tongue very much in cheek there)
  10. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    19 Dec '14 01:41
    Originally posted by st dominics preview
    Praxis ~ the name has no religious connection. It is one of Van Morrison's classic early 70s albums. I recommend you give it a listen ~ one of the top 30 albums of all time. Amusingly, maybe on purpose, you quote 'domino' which was one of Van's (few) singles, though sadly from another album altogether. But we digress from the unfair pilloring of BB
    Thanks for the history lesson gramps. Us kids need coolin', baby, I'm not foolin', I'm gonna send us back to schoolin'. 😕
  11. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    19 Dec '14 01:42
    Anyone else wonder why the argument was started by one person, then another person took right over? 😕
  12. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    19 Dec '14 01:48
    There was a young man from Texas
    who drove about town in a Lexus
    I thought him a wimp
    turned out he's a pimp
    and this thread it is starting to vex us.
  13. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    19 Dec '14 01:58
    Ah . 'Straw Man' Your very own Lou Reed. Great track from his 'New York' album. Well done for researching wiki. I shall look up your dictionary reference anon. Now then, what's all this about 'only being able to argue by stating my points'??? Is there another, higher, way. All tips to make me a better person much appreciated (tongue very much in cheek there)
    It would be ludicrous for me to suggest that you not argue by stating your points. What I did was call you on straw man tactics, followed by:

"...surely you have better discussion techniques than that to state your points."

The emphasis here would be the word "that".

Now, I must apologize for taking up too much space on this thread, the subject being the judicious treatment of Ms. Busty Beaver. And as I, too am interested in the opinions of others on this forum regarding the subject, I will bid adieu to any further discourse on my part concerning literary form.
  14. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    19 Dec '14 02:49
    The seductive flesh on view from time to time on Busty's profile page is imported from a website featuring nude and scantily clad models. Attributes of the real Busty are anybody's guess.
  15. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    19 Dec '14 03:11

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree