What are you watching? 2023 No.2

What are you watching? 2023 No.2

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
189d

@drewnogal said
Indeed …. a person somewhat like one of those vengeful, Dickensian characters in Bleak House.
I found Bleak House so ghastly at A Level that I just bought the Coles Notes.

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
189d

@fmf said
I found Bleak House so ghastly at A Level that I just bought the Coles Notes.
I could never read it. I can’t keep up with a book that introduces too many characters in the first few chapters. The same happened with The Hobbit 🤔

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
168d

We now watch Ted Lasso, a nice story about an american football trainer transfered to an English club.

F

Moves
161d
1 edit

I have stumbled across two very promising-looking TV series. From wiki...

Tehran is an Israeli spy thriller television series. Featuring dialogue in Hebrew, Persian, and English, the series follows an Iranian-Jewish Mossad agent and computer hacker on her first mission in Iran's capital Tehran, which is also the place of her birth. Her undercover mission in the Iranian capital is to disable a nuclear reactor by neutralizing Iranian air defenses so that the Israeli Air Force can bomb it. Two series so far: another in the pipeline.

Slow Horses is a UK spy thriller television series about an administrative purgatory for MI5 service rejects who have bungled their job but have not been sacked. They are expected to endure dull, paper-pushing tasks, along with occasional mental abuse from their miserable boss, Jackson Lamb [Gary Oldman], who expects them to quit out of boredom or frustration. Life in Slough House is defined by drudgery. Yet the "Slow Horses" [the rubbish agents] somehow get involved in investigating schemes endangering Britain. Now in its third series.

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
161d

I’ve set a reminder on my phone for BBC Sportsperson of the Year at 19.00 on 19th Dec.

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
159d
1 edit

Nyad - with Annette Bening & Jodie Foster.

Good film, particularly for athletic types and open water swimmers.

?si=ED_GNCjYX2OOZh4m

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
159d
1 edit

@fmf said
LOVE/HATE
&
KIN

Both about the criminal underworld in Dublin.

Both brilliant.
Napoleon - Joaquin Phoenix and Vanessa Kirby.

IMHO an excellent movie, but there were few people under the age of 50 in the audience. Understandable I suppose. If I were 16 again, I'd choose a Marvel cartoon fantasy movie too.

F

Moves
158d

@mchill said
Napoleon - Joaquin Phoenix and Vanessa Kirby.

IMHO an excellent movie, but there were few people under the age of 50 in the audience. Understandable I suppose. If I were 16 again, I'd choose a Marvel cartoon fantasy movie too.
This has tweaked my curiosity. It has got good reviews from Mark Kemode and from The Grauniad. But the sheer number of vloggers on YouTube slamming it for carefully explained and seemingly valid reasons is ataggering. I need to watch it.

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
145d

House of Gucci

Can’t believe I’ve only just discovered this film. Lady Gaga is excellent in it.

Gothenburg

Moves
144d

@Drewnogal
The Cider House Rules (1999) directed by Lasse Hallström based on a novel by John Irving. Wonderful film, sometimes heartbreaking but adorable with great actors Michael Caine, Tobey Maguire, Charlize Theron and many others.

Gothenburg

Moves
140d

The traditional New Year’s Day Vienna Philharmonic concert from the Golden Hall of the Musikverein in Vienna, directed by guest conductor Christian Thielemann.

I think not alot

On my arse

Moves
140d

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
139d

Embracing a simple slow living routine/ Daily life in the mountains.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
139d

Not a fan of Christian Bale (often too moody) but watched yesterday 'Pale Blue Eyes' which I strongly recommend. Great film with lots of twists and turns. His best film by far.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
138d

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Not a fan of Christian Bale (often too moody) but watched yesterday 'Pale Blue Eyes' which I strongly recommend. Great film with lots of twists and turns. His best film by far.
I saw this. An excellent movie indeed. I actually had to explain to the person I watched it with where the name came from.

It's 'The Pale Blue Eye', not 'Pale Blue Eyes'.