1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 May '16 03:39
    Originally posted by josephw
    You'll have to ask him.
    But I am asking you in response to what you claimed. And he's dodging same the question just like you.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 May '16 03:511 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Read it again and give it another whack.
    Not even close.
    It was you who postulated the moon being 10,000 miles away. If you have a different number, give it to me, I can crank that one out just as easily.

If you think I am wrong that the full size moon would cover 12 degrees of the sky, then prove it with actual math, not 'not even close'.

Do you even know what 12 degrees of the sky covers? that is over 3 percent of the entire sky, it would look ominous to Earthers.

So tell me oh master of all things mathematical, how many degrees would a 2000 mile wide moon cover in the night sky if it was a mere 10,000 miles away?

BTW, if the moon was that close and as massive as it is now, tides would be miles high up and down miles high every day.

The equation for tidal forces: Force of tides in Newtons, 1 newton is about 4 ounces= 2GMmr/D^3 G is gravitational constant, about 6.67 E -11, just a number for now.

M is mass of Earth, about 6 E 24 kilograms, lower case m is mass of moon about 7 E22 kg and r is radius of Earth in meters, about 6 million meters, and d is the distance to the moon cubed. Not squared so the force changes really rapidly.

at 16,000 km away from Earth, the tidal force would be 4 E27 TONS. Notice that is 4 with 27 zero's after it.

So lets make the size of the moon 90 miles and the same density so it would be about 1/10,000th the mass of the moon. So about 7E 18 kg plugging that into the formula and that mass at 10,000 miles (16,000 km) and the force is now 'only' about 1/50th that of the full moon mass at that altitude or a mere 2 E25 tons. Maybe the tides would only be ONE mile high.

These are known laws of phyics bucco. There is also another problem it's called the Roche limit, that says how close a moon with mass X can get to Earth and not just break up into little pieces. That is another ball of wax. It BTW is also around the same distance so your 90 mile wide moon would most likely break up into a million rocks.

Another problemo for your Flatasss fantasy.
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    28 May '16 04:00
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    It was you who postulated the moon being 10,000 miles away. If you have a different number, give it to me, I can crank that one out just as easily.

If you think I am wrong that the full size moon would cover 12 degrees of the sky, then prove it with actual math, not 'not even close'.

Do you even know what 12 degrees of the sky covers? that is over 3 ...[text shortened]... would most likely break up into a million rocks.

Another problemo for your Flatasss fantasy.
    The thought experiment was conjured up for your benefit, numbnuts.
    You and you alone claimed the earth should look just as big in the moon's sky as the moon appears in the earth's.
    To demonstrate how ridiculously absurd and bizarre your thinking has become in its fervor to protect what you wholeheartedly believe, you emphatically and vociferously claimed they would look the same.
    W
    The actual
    F

Out of the kindness of my way-too-big-for-its-own-good heart, I tarried a little longer for ye.
    I asked you to imagine a tandem duo in one spot and then the exact tandem duo 234,000 miles away.
    From the vantage point of the earth on one of the duos, do the earth and the moon--- both 234,000 miles away--- appear to be the same size?
    One is over three times the size of the other, but do they cover the same space in the sky, that many miles removed?
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 May '16 04:041 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    The thought experiment was conjured up for your benefit, numbnuts.
    You and you alone claimed the earth should look just as big in the moon's sky as the moon appears in the earth's.
    To demonstrate how ridiculously absurd and bizarre your thinking has become in its fervor to protect what you wholeheartedly believe, you emphatically and vociferously claim ...[text shortened]... mes the size of the other, but do they cover the same space in the sky, that many miles removed?
    If you think I said that, sorry, I never meant that if I did. If you reversed the positions of Earth and moon, from the moon, Earth would still cover 2 degrees of sky and from Earth the moon would still cover 1/'2 degree or so.

ANY 8000 mile wide body in space seen from a quarter million miles will take up 2 degrees of the sky and if you have a problem with that, you do the math like I said in the first place.

Any 2000 mile wide body viewed from a quarter million miles will cover about 1/2 degree of sky.

That is basic physics, not Einstein level stuff. That is the kind of thing you get in astronomy 101.

Oh I forgot, you SHUN all those dreadful books and all that useless education. My bad.

You have any more scoffology to do, it will have to wait till morning, I am fixing a nasty problem with our clothes dryer.

I don't get to just do simple arithmetic problems all day. I have an actual life with 25 grandkids to consider, a wfe in hospital and a son whose wife just left him thank the forces that be. She was a 100% certified bitch.
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    28 May '16 13:03
    Originally posted by FMF
    But I am asking you in response to what you claimed. And he's dodging same the question just like you.
    It's only seems like dodging to you. We're not dodging, you are. You always redirect away from the topic until the horse is dead, and then you keep kicking it.
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    28 May '16 13:08
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    If you think I said that, sorry, I never meant that if I did. If you reversed the positions of Earth and moon, from the moon, Earth would still cover 2 degrees of sky and from Earth the moon would still cover 1/'2 degree or so.

ANY 8000 mile wide body in space seen from a quarter million miles will take up 2 degrees of the sky and if you have a problem ...[text shortened]... tal and a son whose wife just left him thank the forces that be. She was a 100% certified bitch.
    "I don't get to just do simple arithmetic problems all day. I have an actual life with 25 grandkids to consider, a wfe in hospital and a son whose wife just left him thank the forces that be. She was a 100% certified bitch."

I feel your pain sonhouse. I only have 9 grand kids though, but it seems there's a lot of garbage going on everywhere these days. One of my own daughters has gone off the deep end. It's a bitch!
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 May '16 13:211 edit
    Geez dude! All of us would get beaten up for the crap we say!
    Really!!

Firstly you think that physical violence is an acceptable response to something said on the Internet?

Which things - give an example of anything posted by anyone in these forums that you think would deserve a beating?
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    28 May '16 13:26
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Really!!

Firstly you think that physical violence is an acceptable response to something said on the Internet?

Which things - give an example of anything posted by anyone in these forums would deserve a beating?
    Apparently you have no idea what I'm talking about, or even what I mean.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 May '16 13:281 edit
    Really!!

Which things - give an example of anything posted by anyone in these forums would deserve a beating?
    I would say that everything you have ever posted or are ever likely to post could be remedied with a good self administered slap on the forehead.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 May '16 13:29
    It's only seems like dodging to you. We're not dodging, you are. You always redirect away from the topic until the horse is dead, and then you keep kicking it.
    The topic/question is you saying this to me: "...in real life, as apposed to this environment, you would not conduct yourself as you do here because in real life you would indeed get "beat up" for it." You said that. And you have been dodging giving even one example of my posts/conduct that would "deserve" physical violence from FreakyKBH. When you are dodging like this, it's no use simply deflecting it by claiming it's me who's dodging. You seem to have no backbone whatsoever. 😉
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 May '16 13:30
    Another dodge. 🙄
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 May '16 13:37
    You said:

"We would all get beaten up for the crap we say"

What else could you possibly mean other than we the regular combatants and protagonists here at RHP would experience physical violence in the real world for what we say here online??

Please explain...
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 May '16 13:39
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I would say that everything you have ever posted or are ever likely to post could be remedied with a good self administered slap on the forehead.
    Of course this is you trying to get involved in this little spat and trying take sides against me, when actually you agree with me about physical violence. This is behaviour by you is why you have such little respect and credibility here.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 May '16 13:42
    Of course this is you trying to get involved in this little spat and trying take sides against me, when actually you agree with me about physical violence. This is behaviour by you is why you have such little respect and credibility here.
    Well if that don't deserve a self administered slap on the forehead, just like I said. 😵
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 May '16 13:44
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Well if that don't deserve a self administered slap on the forehead, just like I said. 😵
    He had a point, though. You don't really "do" integrity, do you? No laughs in it for you, presumably. 😕

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree