1. Standard memberLukerik
    Stick your hands up
    Your bum
    Moves
    01 Dec '08 21:59
    Very interesting discussion. I played for a while without subscribing. I think the sub/non-sub split is a good one. I think the administration of this site is intelligently handled. I've played a couple of games on a site where you're denied the equivalent of 'analyse board' and 'games explorer'. This adds a difficulty to using the site that deters non-subs. You like to see what you're getting here.

I would object to being denied games against non subs. I repeatedly play a particular non-sub and as a sub I don't see why my use of the site should be restricted in this way. It's my right as a sub to play whosoever will accept my challenge. It would also contravene the point of the club points system.

If you're a non-sub and you timeout you lose a maximum of six games. if they really cared they'd plan better - either their gameload or their timebanks. It perfectly possible to play games where you needn't move for 7 weeks if necessary.

I could currently timeout about 120 games if I stopped moving now. This affects not only my own pride but also undermines the efforts of my clan leaders and clanmates.

I use this site not only to improve my chess, but also to drive the team forward and I have a right to disappear for a maximum of 11 consecutive weeks if I so choose.
  2. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    02 Dec '08 02:18
    Originally posted by Lukerik

If you're a non-sub and you timeout you lose a maximum of six games. if they really cared they'd plan better - either their gameload or their timebanks.
    You're missing the point.

I've never lost a game through timeouts but I still recognise the huge advantage subscribers have.
  3. Standard memberpatrickrutgers
    Pale Yellow Star!
    Minneapolis
    Moves
    02 Dec '08 04:41
    Originally posted by Mctayto

Option 2 - get rid of the vacation system then all is fair except those that use the system will object
    Wary as I am of agreeing with Mctayto 😉 to me the vacation system has always seemed a strange idea. Players can control time settings giving themselves days and weeks per move. That seems about right. Then on top of that the timebank kicks in--an additional allotment of days, weeks, a month! so unconventional already as to require special explanation in the FAQ's.

And still vacation time is needed!? I think it's excessive. I'm going on a vacation for about a month beginning mid-Dec. so I'm not starting new games. I already gone from losing around 50 games simultaneous to losing about 25 games simultaneously. It doesn't take much planning.
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    02 Dec '08 06:401 edit
    Originally posted by peacedog
    Or… You happen across a OTB tourney on my patch and are given only half the time on the clock as everyone else because your not a member of the national organising body!

Giving paying members more privileges and features is one thing. Giving them a tangible advantage in a game makes a mockery of the rating system.

Perhaps the answer is for games between members and non-members to be unrated.
    Well, brace yourself...for this travesty is happening in OTB tournaments all over the word.

Currently, the non-paying players are at a serious disadvantage. They are not assigned a table to play on. They must hunt down their own in the lobby outside the playing hall. They are not paired against an opponent. They must flag down their own opponents for a game. Their cumulative score is not kept on the wallchart. They are forced to remember it themselves for bragging rights.

The offhand games they play against the paid members between rounds are neither scored nor rated. This despite the fact that I have seen them dispatch the eventual 'winners' of the 'official' tournament.

Farcical rating system, indeed! 😛😀
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    02 Dec '08 06:45
    Originally posted by patrickrutgers
    Then on top of that the timebank kicks in--an additional allotment of days, weeks, a month!
    Not quite - the timebank elapses normally during a vacation. Thus, it is not necessarily 'extra' time on top of the vacation time.

Sure, a player could burn most all timebank and only then employ vacation - but they must do so across all of their games.
  6. Standard memberpatrickrutgers
    Pale Yellow Star!
    Minneapolis
    Moves
    02 Dec '08 12:58
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Not quite - the timebank elapses normally during a vacation. Thus, it is not necessarily 'extra' time on top of the vacation time.

Sure, a player could burn most all timebank and only then employ vacation - but they must do so across all of their games.
    Well, not that people are into mincing words on this site 😉 but I said the timebank is extra time on top of the time allotted per move, not on top of the vacation time. What a find nutty are these three separate clocks running.

But yes, as you suggest burning one's timebank across all of one's games before launching vacation would be a pain. Much easier to just finish up your games before going on vacation.
  7. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    02 Dec '08 15:36
    All this discussing is irrelevant. The games should be played fairly.
  8. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    02 Dec '08 16:21
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    All this discussing is irrelevant. The games should be played fairly.
    There is NO WAY to abuse vacation time. You can take a vacation 36 days each year. No more, no less.

NUFF SAID.

P-
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    02 Dec '08 18:29
    Originally posted by patrickrutgers
    Well, not that people are into mincing words on this site 😉 but I said the timebank is extra time on top of the time allotted per move, not on top of the vacation time. What a find nutty are these three separate clocks running.

But yes, as you suggest burning one's timebank across all of one's games before launching vacation would be a pain. Much easier to just finish up your games before going on vacation.
    Oops - indeed, I misread your earlier post. Sorry about that.

As for finishing games before vacation, I hate to rush through an interesting game [I also hate losing!]. Also, if the time control is 3 days per move, or 7 days per move, my opponent may not cooperate in helping finish the game before vacation.
  10. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    03 Dec '08 00:35
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    There is NO WAY to abuse vacation time. You can take a vacation 36 days each year. No more, no less.

NUFF SAID.

P-
    There is NO WAY to USE vacation time if you don't pay for it. Hence the game is intrinsically unfair between subs and non subs.

FACT.

It doesn't bother me, but let's speak the truth here.
  11. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    03 Dec '08 18:22
    There is NO WAY to USE vacation time if you don't pay for it. Hence the game is intrinsically unfair between subs and non subs.

FACT.

It doesn't bother me, but let's speak the truth here.
    I went to dinner at a fine restaurant, and I was given bread with my meal. Some BUM walked in off the STREET and asked for bread. They were told the bread is free, but only with the order of the meal. They were told to leave.

He stood outside my window through my whole meal screaming how it wasn't fair I got free bread.

I followed him home to find he lived in a cardboard box on the street. I rolled him out of the box and took it, just for the lulz.

P-
  12. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    03 Dec '08 20:29
    I went to dinner at a fine restaurant, and I was given bread with my meal. Some BUM walked in off the STREET and asked for bread. They were told the bread is free, but only with the order of the meal. They were told to leave.

He stood outside my window through my whole meal screaming how it wasn't fair I got free bread.

I followed him home to find ...[text shortened]... cardboard box on the street. I rolled him out of the box and took it, just for the lulz.

P-
    lol
  13. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    03 Dec '08 22:04

I followed him home to find ...[text shortened]... cardboard box on the street. I rolled him out of the box and took it, just for the lulz.

P-
    add in tax, service charge and any tip you give....the bread is never free 😛
  14. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    03 Dec '08 22:341 edit

P-
    That old comparison of yours is not the same sort of situation at all, and you know it. 😛

The football pitch I play on is on a steep hill. As it is our home ground we play from the top for the whole game; naturally we win many games we would have lost if the field was level.
    We don't care that it's unfair. We like to think we're better players whatever methods we use to win. 😏
  15. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    03 Dec '08 23:17
    That old comparison of yours is not the same sort of situation at all, and you know it. 😛

The football pitch I play on is on a steep hill. As it is our home ground we play from the top for the whole game; naturally we win many games we would have lost if the field was level.
    We don't care that it's unfair. We like to think we're better players whatever methods we use to win. 😏
    don't you think people who pay to use the site should have extra features than non paying users?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree