Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Help Forum

Help Forum

  1. Subscriber invigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    10 Sep '11 15:46
    Hi,

    I subscribed to RHP for many years from 2002 to 2008 but disappeared when I realized I was far better at Scrabble than Chess and therefore used a well known social network for my Scrabulous and latterly Scrabble fix.

    I have seen the light and returned to play a little chess, I was surprised to see the price of $40. I was under the impression that the subscription price was fixed at the price when you first joined.

    Is that still the case?
    Was it ever the case?

    $40 seems quite expensive - but I would be tempted back at a cheaper price.
  2. 10 Sep '11 17:41
    It's fixed at the same price as long as you were using the same card to resubscribe.

    Which is totally unfair imo. There could be people still paying $20 while others pay $40. Have to agree with you that with the sucky exchange rate for us $40 does seem quite a lot.
  3. Subscriber Kewpie
    chess dummy
    10 Sep '11 23:49
    Leaving and returning carries a penalty in itself, because you go from "old fixed rate" to "current fixed rate".

    Which brings up the question: if the subscription price was halved, would twice as many people pay up?
  4. 11 Sep '11 00:11
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    Leaving and returning carries a penalty in itself, because you go from "old fixed rate" to "current fixed rate".
    wrong.
  5. Subscriber Kewpie
    chess dummy
    11 Sep '11 00:58
    Originally posted by trev33
    wrong.
    Why?
  6. Standard member RevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    11 Sep '11 01:11
    Originally posted by trev33
    It's fixed at the same price as long as you were using the same card to resubscribe.

    Which is totally unfair imo. There could be people still paying $20 while others pay $40. Have to agree with you that with the sucky exchange rate for us $40 does seem quite a lot.
    Incorrect, it didn't \ doesn't have to be the same card..just one continual or 'recurring' billing has to be in place before next due date..i.e. as long as you set it up before expiry it can be paid by anyone and that can be just for a year. Think of folk that are gifted their subs here. Also, the subscriber had to be subscribing before 12 / 08 in order to qualify for the discounted rate.
  7. 11 Sep '11 02:05
    Originally posted by RevRSleeker
    Incorrect, it didn't \ doesn't have to be the same card..just one continual or 'recurring' billing has to be in place before next due date..i.e. as long as you set it up before expiry it can be paid by anyone and that can be just for a year. Think of folk that are gifted their subs here. Also, the subscriber had to be subscribing before 12 / 08 in order to qualify for the discounted rate.
    What are you talking about? When your card expiry date comes you have to set up a new 'recurring' bill with your new card which will be at whatever price the site is currently at. Not at the price that you were getting before with the old card.
  8. 11 Sep '11 02:07
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    Why?
    well not wrong, it does... what i was saying was what i said above. even if you're a 'recurring' subscriber and you pay the full price if your old card expires.
  9. Standard member skeeter
    515 + 30 days
    11 Sep '11 02:10 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by trev33
    What are you talking about? When your card expiry date comes you have to set up a new 'recurring' bill with your new card which will be at whatever price the site is currently at. Not at the price that you were getting before with the old card.
    Incorrect. I've renewed my credit card three times since initially joining and am still only paying $USD14.95 per annum ( the cost then of subscribing).

    skeets
  10. 11 Sep '11 02:14
    Originally posted by skeeter
    Incorrect. I've renewed my credit card three times since initially joining and am still only paying $USD14.95 per annum ( the cost then of subscribing).

    skeets
    That's outrageous.
  11. Standard member skeeter
    515 + 30 days
    11 Sep '11 02:22
    Originally posted by trev33
    That's outrageous.
    It was a sweetener - as long as you didn't let your sub lapse it remained at the original subscription price.

    skeets
  12. Standard member skeeter
    515 + 30 days
    11 Sep '11 02:30
    I'm pretty sure it still applies - whatever you're paying now and you don't let it lapse, if Russ does increase the subscription then you wont pay the difference - a sort of loyalty reward.

    Stand to be corrected on that though....

    skeets
  13. 11 Sep '11 03:13
    Originally posted by skeeter
    I'm pretty sure it still applies - whatever you're paying now and you don't let it lapse, if Russ does increase the subscription then you wont pay the difference - a sort of loyalty reward.

    Stand to be corrected on that though....

    skeets
    I really don't think that's the case anymore... or at least i hope not. Fair enough in the first year or so of the site but not now...
  14. Standard member skeeter
    515 + 30 days
    11 Sep '11 03:36 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by trev33
    I really don't think that's the case anymore... or at least i hope not. Fair enough in the first year or so of the site but not now...
    Sorry Trev but I've just been informed that it is still the case - stay subbed up and you're spared any further further sub increases. Throw your toys away and you'll be hit with a newbie sub ( $USD40.00 )

    Serves you all right I say, stay on the train and enjoy the benefits- get off early and you pay a new fare to travel again.

    $USD14.95 for life - ha, laughing at all you waka jumpers now.

    skeets
  15. 11 Sep '11 04:55
    Originally posted by skeeter
    Sorry Trev but I've just been informed that it is still the case - stay subbed up and you're spared any further further sub increases. Throw your toys away and you'll be hit with a newbie sub ( $USD40.00 )

    Serves you all right I say, stay on the train and enjoy the benefits- get off early and you pay a new fare to travel again.

    $USD14.95 for life - ha, laughing at all you waka jumpers now.

    skeets
    That's totally unfair. I think it was $30 when i first joined... was actually thinking of joining again to play in the 7/14 league, don't think i'll bother now knowing that there's people paying 3 times less of the price of a sub now. What a terrible way to run a business.