1. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    26 Sep '11 21:41
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    How many "wingless original pawnstars" are still around?
    How many subscribers are still getting their $15.00 per year rate?

I'm just guessing, but it probably isn't very many of either.
    It would be interesting to see some numbers.
    You look like the last active wingless player!!!

Of the first 30 users only 4 are wingless

User 3
    User 7
    User 16
    User 19

As for those still paying only $15 probably very few as it would only involve continuous subscribers from pre 2004 when the price increased.
  2. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    26 Sep '11 21:45
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Just another case of 'squeaky wheel gets the grease'. The admin responding and explaining could have been doing IMPORTANT WORK but Trev is so bitter and blinded and reaching at straws to bring misery to long time users of the site all because of a 2 week ban from the forums he couldn't bring himself to serve.

You see, if Trev got his way and ALL users ...[text shortened]... w.

Its really very sad in a way. That kind of sad that makes me laugh and point.

P-
    ...and you don't hear him complaining that there has been no price increase since January 2009, yet I bet he is earning more now than he was 2.5 years ago.

Some people just want everything.
  3. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    26 Sep '11 23:41
    Originally posted by adramforall
    You look like the last active wingless player!!!

Of the first 30 users only 4 are wingless

User 3
    User 7
    User 16
    User 19

As for those still paying only $15 probably very few as it would only involve continuous subscribers from pre 2004 when the price increased.
    I take it you mean the 'earliest active' wingless..there are others here I know to be active, a few off the top of my head being 'quirine', 'ketchuplover' and the irrepressible 'luck' 🙂
  4. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    27 Sep '11 07:08
    Originally posted by RevRSleeker
    I take it you mean the 'earliest active' wingless..there are others here I know to be active, a few off the top of my head being 'quirine', 'ketchuplover' and the irrepressible 'luck' 🙂
    Had assumed all wingless members would have had low UID's.
  5. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    27 Sep '11 10:421 edit
    My question wasn't about only the oldest active original pawnstars. I was more curious to know the total number of "wingless pawnstars" there are all together, regardless of whether they're still playing here or not. It seems like there were only two or three hundred, but I could be wrong. Russ or Chris might still have that information.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if an original pawnstar also subscibes annually they will have wings and colored stars just like the rest of the subscribers. At least that's how it worked in the old days when I still subscribed.

They probably should have put the wings on the "original" pawnstars, instead of the other way around.

(And maybe a nice little halo too !!) 😀
  6. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    27 Sep '11 11:41
    My question wasn't about only the oldest active original pawnstars. I was more curious to know the total number of "wingless pawnstars" there are all together, regardless of whether they're still playing here or not. It seems like there were only two or three hundred, but I could be wrong. Russ or Chris might still have that information.

Another thing ...[text shortened]... pawnstars, instead of the other way around.

(And maybe a nice little halo too !!) 😀
    Yes, I know David Tebb was an original and also subscribes, I'm not aware of any others though ? Perhaps just a colour suffices with regard to type of subscription and moves made, the 'wingless' could display a colour according their own moves made, I'm not really sure why the wings were necessary really...
  7. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    27 Sep '11 13:47
    I was just about to mention the King of Teabagging... but you found him.

P-
  8. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    27 Sep '11 18:35
    Originally posted by adramforall
    Had assumed all wingless members would have had low UID's.
    No, not really. There were several thousand members here before the site went to subscriptions. I'm not sure how many times the server had to be upgraded to accomodate the quickly-growing membership. I know it was done several times during the first few months, and Chris and Russ were doing this with their own money at first.

That's why voluntary contributions came about. There was no set amount. It was just whatever amount you were comfortable with giving to help out. If you made a contribution you got a gold star by your username, and that's where the title of "original pawn star" came from.
  9. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    27 Sep '11 19:03
    No, not really. There were several thousand members here before the site went to subscriptions. I'm not sure how many times the server had to be upgraded to accomodate the quickly-growing membership. I know it was done several times during the first few months, and Chris and Russ were doing this with their own money at first.

That's why voluntary co ...[text shortened]... a gold star by your username, and that's where the title of "original pawn star" came from.
    how did you find the site?
  10. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    27 Sep '11 19:06
    Yes, I know David Tebb was an original and also subscribes, I'm not aware of any others though ? Perhaps just a colour suffices with regard to type of subscription and moves made, the 'wingless' could display a colour according their own moves made, I'm not really sure why the wings were necessary really...
    Yes, that's the thing about it. I'm sure there are numerous "original" pawnstars still around, but those that are also subscribers will have the wings and colored star.

They should have put the wings on the originals only. Then if they are also a subscriber they get the colored star instead of the outlined white star, but either way they are still identified as the originals because of the wings.

It would save money on wings too, since there are no new "originals" being added. 😀
  11. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    27 Sep '11 19:37
    Originally posted by Trev33
    how did you find the site?
    I'm not sure now which search engines were available in early 2001, but it was with one of them. I was looking for online chess sites and RHP came up. I managed to sign up on about the same day they opened the door, I think. Russ opened the door, turned on the lights, and there I was sitting at a board waiting for a game. He probably thought I was one of the bugs that came with the original software.

I was probably the first "foreigner", the 16th member, and played the 18th game here. I was also the top rated player once for a few hours, until "BessyBoo" knocked me off of that perch. (I'm still rolling downhill from that one). It was much easier to get to the top back when there were only a few players!

At that time, many regular features were not available here yet, including pawn promotion, castling, en passant, etc. There also was no forum and no way to communicate with your opponent. You could send email to Russ and Chris, but that was it. We kept them pretty busy trying to work out all the bugs.

It has evolved very much over the past ten years!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree