1. Joined
    20 Sep '01
    Moves
    20 Jan '24 04:51
    There have been a number of games that I have lost due to a mistake/silly move/ incompetent move etc on my part.

To analise/see where I went wrong, is there a software program that I can input the state of play that will suggest the move I should have made?

Not interested in cheating (look at my rating).
  2. e4
    Moves
    20 Jan '24 11:382 edits
    Hi Martin,

You have a lot of games in progress, over 200. That is too many, no wonder silly errors
    creep in. Finish what you have, do not take on any more and restrict it to 12 games
    and take your time. You should find your results improving, no more silly blunders
    and overall become a better player.

The most I have had is 40 games and I blundered a few times, once losing a
    game in 6 moves.

Use the analysis board but do practice with it first as it can be a but misleading
    (it takes illegal moves) so due to a finger slip you may be looking at a position
    5 moves deep that does not exist. This has happened to me a few times.

I recall looking at a complicated sacrifice and went on for about 6-7 moves.
    By mistake I moved a knight to an illegal square and a few moves later that Knight
    played a key role, so I went back my game and sacced a piece. A few moves later
    I was wondering why I did it?
  3. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    20 Jan '24 15:16
    @martins said
    There have been a number of games that I have lost due to a mistake/silly move/ incompetent move etc on my part.

To analise/see where I went wrong, is there a software program that I can input the state of play that will suggest the move I should have made?

Not interested in cheating (look at my rating).
    If you google 365chess.com,and click opening explorer and then start engine analysis it gives a count based on the moves.
    I'm not sure how far you can go before you have to subscribe though.
    I sometimes type in the first few moves of my game into google when I'm not familiar with the opening and look at the scores it gives for various moves.
    Again,I suspect it will only allow you to go so far without subscribing
    Hope this helps
  4. Joined
    21 Jan '13
    Moves
    20 Jan '24 20:54
    @venda
    I've used the openings explorer on 365chess for many years, and recently started using the analysis board there as well for my post mortem. No membership fee, though it does ask for a donation which if made will eliminate the ads. I am able to able to analyze each game from beginning to end.
  5. Joined
    19 Aug '12
    Moves
    20 Jan '24 21:132 edits

Looking at one of your games rather than relying on chess software, why not perhaps

- learn some chess openings and principles
    - practice chess tactics
    - have a stronger player help you analyse your games

You can rise from 1200 by hundreds of points just by increasing your knowledge and not making moves that lose pieces or give the other player an obvious advantage.

Don't have hundreds of games going on at once, play a handful perhaps but ensure each move is a quality move where you think, look for threats etc.
  6. e4
    Moves
    21 Jan '24 03:251 edit

I had a look at one the O.P's. most recent loss. Typical of this level the opening
    is skipped through and it all happens in the middle game where the two move
    tactic rules. That is where most of my notes are. Black lost but had a few chances
    to trip their opponent up and later twice missed very good moves which a if they
    had taken just a few seconds longer they would have spotted. An obvious Rook to the 7th.

Jim Lamar - MartinS RHP 2024

7. Joined
    20 Sep '01
    Moves
    21 Jan '24 04:10
    Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply; very much appreciated.

I have been laid up since early December and unable to do anything apart from play chess, hence my number of games. I am now recovering and will be drastically reducing my games as I am aware having so many on the go at once means I cannot give each game the attention it deserves. and I won't have the time anyway.

I have noted all your comments and again, thank you.

Regards
  8. Joined
    19 Aug '12
    Moves
    21 Jan '24 04:30
    I'm probably guilty of too much blitz/bullet as well so chess has gone out of the window. There are some good chess principles of opening ie don't use your Queen eg 1. e4 e5 2. Qh5 trying to look for a beginner mate etc (also learn to counter cheap shots like these).

Another good one is trying to control the centre, developing knights and bishops, Indian openings ie having a bishop on g2 or g7

Get a couple of chess books if you can Jeremy Silman has got a few good ones.
  9. Joined
    20 Sep '01
    Moves
    21 Jan '24 05:31
    @congruent
    Thank you; when I can read again I'll have a look for his books.

Thank you
  10. Joined
    20 Sep '01
    Moves
    21 Jan '24 06:00
    @congruent

You mention to learn some openings and I agree one needs to know the basics.

However, and I have posted on this once before; there are so many variations it is impossible to learn/know them all.

For example look at the number of variations of the Sicilian defence.

It is almost as if every possible move is called such and such a variation; it is impossible to learn them all surely?
  11. Joined
    19 Aug '12
    Moves
    21 Jan '24 08:43
    @martins said
    @congruent

However, and I have posted on this once before; there are so many variations it is impossible to learn/know them all.

It is almost as if every possible move is called such and such a variation; it is impossible to learn them all surely?
    Just learn the basics ie in 2 games as black you are delaying Nc6

1. Italian game Giuconpiano
    2. Four Knights game
    3. Ruy Lopez
    4. Pirc defense
    5. French defence
    6. Sicilian E4 C5 Nf3 d6 games of Nigel Short good ideas

The game above quoted by green pawn didn't start in the middlegame, the opening was not played to the best by both sides and king left in centre with a weak E6 pawn.
  12. Joined
    20 Sep '01
    Moves
    21 Jan '24 10:04
    @congruent

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I joined RHP 22 years ago but took a 17 year break and only started playing again 3 months ago so am VERY rusty.

I will re-look at the basic openings again and try and refresh this frazzled brain of mine.

If you ever want a game and comment on every move (read mistake) I make it would be a pleasure (for me, but rather boring and tedious for you)

Regards and thank you again for taking the time to explain and make your suggestions.
  13. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    21 Jan '24 10:07
    @martins said
    @congruent

It's really not necessary to learn all the variations of the common openings unless you want to become a GM and have a really good memory!
    Just follow the basic rules suggested above and try to work out what your opponent is planning and why they made their last move.
    Players rarely make a move for no reason.
  14. Joined
    20 Sep '01
    Moves
    21 Jan '24 11:05
    @venda

Thank you

I'd love to be able to play a game either in person or online where a player could point out my mistakes.

I love the analyse feature , but have not used it very much; would love a feature that explains the wrong move you made and why.

It is easy to go back and see the obvious mistake but not always possible to see the move one should have made.

However, I have one new repaired eye and less time so can concentrate more on fewer games.

If you ever get bored, let me know.

Reduced my challenge games to 25 but will always add a few friends to my buddy list.

Thank you again.

Regards
  15. e4
    Moves
    21 Jan '24 12:242 edits
    HI Martin,

Great news health wise. Chess wise is easier to sort out. In the remaining games
    where you are obviously lost resign. The game you are winning go for trade off's
    to get into a simple won ending. the 50-50 games try and give at least two minutes a move.

Look for bank rank shots, unprotected pieces and do not be afraid to shed a
    pawn or two or three to get an attack v King going. First to attack the King on RHP
    usually wins because defensive blunders are so common. That is why I am so scathing
    on preemptive defensive moves That Rg8. Honestly I'd rather let that pawn go than do
    that to a Rook. If the idea was to play g7-g5-g4 then because of your game load
    it was never played because when the game came around again you forgot about it.

Get the game load down, forget ratings, aim to get your win ratio higher than your
    loss ratio. If you have a game where you cannot see how your lost, (mostly at the
    moment they are one move blunders or missed chances as in Rd2 in the previous game.)
    Post it here and ask why. There are loads of good players here and their adviceis usually spot on. Good Luck.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree