Chess software

Chess software

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
114d

@venda said
It's really not necessary to learn all the variations of the common openings unless you want to become a GM and have a really good memory!
I couldn't agree more.

My posts at RHP often stress the value of understanding the pawn structure: backward pawns, space advantage, pawn majority, etc. A player who considers these concepts during the game can usually formulate a reasonable plan even if the position is totally unfamiliar.

The moves considered best in an opening are those that will result in a playable middlegame. A big part of "playable middlegame" is that there's a part of the board where the player in question has a space advantage, and that player's pieces can readily be brought over there. That way, if pawns get traded and the two sides' pieces have open lines at each other, the player who had the space advantage will have more pieces there than the opponent will and is therefore more likely to prevail.

My articles at this forum (listed at http://www.davidlevinchess.com/chess/RHP_my_threads.htm) often discuss how to interpret the pawn structure. There are also a few articles on the subject at my website.

I believe it's useful to be aware of the pawn structure starting at move 1. I feel so strongly about this that I created a page at my website (called "How to Play through a Game's Pawn Structures" ) where one can paste the moves of a game and then click a button that displays every pawn structure that arises in that game.

Moves
114d

@greenpawn34

Thank you.

Regards

c

Moves
113d

@MartinS, you've had surgery of any sort take it easy, just relax and get better. Perhaps put on some chess podcasts, I don't know if Batsford Chess Openings have any online stuff to listen to, BCO was really good in paper

Moves
113d

Thank you

Über-Nerd

Moves
112d

@fmdavidhlevin said
I couldn't agree more.

My posts at RHP often stress the value of understanding the pawn structure: backward pawns, space advantage, pawn majority, etc. A player who considers these concepts during the game can usually formulate a reasonable plan even if the position is totally unfamiliar.

The moves considered best in an opening are those that will result in a play ...[text shortened]... moves of a game and then click a button that displays every pawn structure that arises in that game.
Fine post. Never a truer statement was made: "Pawns are the soul of chess."

May I just add this as a footnote for Martin:

Pawns, unlike every other piece, never move backwards. This means, first, that you had better be very very sure you want to move one before you commit. I noticed in your game (which GP kindly annotated) that you made some pawn moves which looked like you just didn't know what else to do, so you pushed a pawn (a common thing for unskilled players to do). A pawn moves slowly and looks small, so unskilled players often make the mistake of thinking that moving one is small commitment. Wrong. Every pawn move should be deliberated twice, because you can't move them back later.

Second, every pawn move moves a weakness; so look at not only what the pawn in its proposed new location controls, but also at what it will no longer control, before you commit.

And thirdly, pawns are devastatingly strong attackers, because no threat makes them retreat.

Finally, don't waste your time on software. You won't learn anything (except possibly how to accept frustration). Better: find a stronger player to help you analyse your games, and get a good book on strategy (there are plenty available).

Good luck. Your goal in chess is to be defeated by stronger and stronger players.

😀

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
112d

I agree with moonbus
I suggest putting a request on the help forum for a strong player to challenge you to 2 games(white and black) and talk you through the games pointing out where you've gone wrong, and what he/she says you should have done.
If you get no response,try an open invite and ask any strong player who responds to do the same.
You can select "unrated" for the games

Moves
111d

@Moonbus

@Venda

Thank you both.

I have reduced my games by 50 and when I get to a more manageable level I may well take you up on your suggestions.

Thank you.

c

Moves
111d

@moonbus said
Fine post. Never a truer statement was made: "Pawns are the soul of chess."

May I just add this as a footnote for Martin:

Pawns, unlike every other piece, never move backwards. This means, first, that you had better be very very sure you want to move one before you commit. I noticed in your game (which GP kindly annotated) that you made some pawn moves which looked like ...[text shortened]... ailable).

Good luck. Your goal in chess is to be defeated by stronger and stronger players.

😀
While pawn are the soul of chess, how do you unlock positions such as this one? Guess the next move here

Moves
111d

@congruent said
While pawn are the soul of chess, how do you unlock positions such as this one? Guess the next move here

[fen]3qr1k1/pbr2pp1/1p2pn1p/8/3PP3/1B2RN1P/P3QPP1/3R2K1 w - - 4 1[/fen]
Black or White to move?

c

Moves
110d

Sorry white to move.

Über-Nerd

Moves
110d
1 edit

@congruent said
Good question. I try to think in terms of plans, rather than next moves. Just at a glance, I would say that since White has a K-side majority, I would work to advance the f-pawn (which means getting the N to better square where it doesn't hinder the f-pawn). Still thinking ...

Über-Nerd

Moves
110d
2 edits

@y'all

So, how's this for a plan: d5, exd5; e5 N-somewhere; Nd4 (blockading the isolani) then f4 at some early opportunity.

c

Moves
110d

Yes d5 as white was the move

c

Moves
110d

A Nakamura game

Über-Nerd

Moves
110d

@congruent

Thanks for posting the game. 21. Rd4 I missed, but I got that the Black isolani must be blockaded.