rating category

rating category

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
19 Jan 15

There was a chess computer competition just held ...winner was Komodo 8. I don't know what hardware it was running under...but, like you say, any of these can beat any human player. Fritz, Rybka, Houdini, Stockade, Komodo...

Has anyone asked Ulf T how he shot to the top of rating list in 8 months after being much lower for 6 years ?

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
19 Jan 15

Originally posted by woadman
There was a chess computer competition just held ...winner was Komodo 8. I don't know what hardware it was running under...but, like you say, any of these can beat any human player. Fritz, Rybka, Houdini, Stockade, Komodo...

Has anyone asked Ulf T how he shot to the top of rating list in 8 months after being much lower for 6 years ?
He finally learned how the hosey thing moved. 😕

Duckfinder General

223b Baker Street

Moves
19 Jan 15

Originally posted by ChessPraxis
He finally learned how the hosey thing moved. 😕
Hosey ? You mean he was water cannon ?

The King of Board

Solar System

Moves
20 Jan 15

So, we can put next to our RHP nickname the Chess Engine that we use to play....

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
20 Jan 15

Originally posted by thaughbaer
Hosey ? You mean he was water cannon ?
Don't be a dick. 😛

Moves
20 Jan 15

Originally posted by sonhouse
I think that comp put out about 200 million positions per second, and you can get that out of a tablet now
This is not so! A modern PC perhaps achieves 10% of that number. But the software has definitely become smarter and manages to calculate even further ahead by using smarter algorithms, the "heuristic", as they say.

But the rest of your post and the gist of it still stands of course.

w

Moves
20 Jan 15

Originally posted by deejee
This is not so! A modern PC perhaps achieves 10% of that number. But the software has definitely become smarter and manages to calculate even further ahead by using smarter algorithms, the "heuristic", as they say.

But the rest of your post and the gist of it still stands of course.
Some of the chess programs say they can work in 64 "cores" or multiple processors. Who has a computer like that ? I went to DELL and they dont have anything above 4 cores. My computer is an I7 Intel processor & I have a total of 4 cores. One must be reserved to operate the system, so that leaves 3 cores. Maybe some other company sells hardware with more CPUs..probably cost $10,000 or more !

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
20 Jan 15

Some of the chess programs say they can work in 64 "cores" or multiple processors. Who has a computer like that ? I went to DELL and they dont have anything above 4 cores. My computer is an I7 Intel processor & I have a total of 4 cores. One must be reserved to operate the system, so that leaves 3 cores. Maybe some other company sells hardware with more CPUs..probably cost $10,000 or more !
Still preparing to challenge those page 1 players, I see. 😀

Moves
20 Jan 15

How did Ulf T go straight to the top of the ratings I wonder? Perhaps he'd like to contribute to this thread with an explanation of how his new coach and/or chess training books have led to this unbelievable rise.

Or could it be something else.....?

Moves
20 Jan 15

I've read a post that claims everyone on page 1 & 2 are computer cheaters.
If you ask me, the person most likely to be a computer cheater is the very person making that claim.

w

Moves
20 Jan 15

Originally posted by Shallow Blue
If you ask me, the person most likely to be a computer cheater is the very person making that claim.
Nobody is asking you chump.

Moves
20 Jan 15
2 edits

How about you stop throwing insults around woadman to players who have been here 8 years. I've had many ask me that-I believe you are an adolescent computer user. You going to call me a chump too? I guess since I believe you are a kid I ought to take it easy on you.

Off the subject of woadman.

Per Ulf T, I have actually messaged him twice over the past several months asking him for an 'explanation'. No response. He totally wrecked my friend kingaroo in their games. kingaroo is no patzer being 2300+ on here. Ulf T has played nearly 600 moves to date-that is 30 moves a day. Remarkable stamina.

Moves
20 Jan 15

I refer the honourable gentleman to point 3(d) of this site's Terms of Service.

w

Moves
20 Jan 15

Originally posted by King Tiger
How about you stop throwing insults around woadman to players who have been here 8 years. I've had many ask me that-I believe you are an adolescent computer user. You going to call me a chump too? I guess since I believe you are a kid I ought to take it easy on you.

Off the subject of woadman.

Per Ulf T, I have actually messaged him twice over the ...[text shortened]... + on here. Ulf T has played nearly 600 moves to date-that is 30 moves a day. Remarkable stamina.
I have also personally messaged Ulf T , with the same result.

s

Moves
21 Jan 15

Originally posted by Tintin1963
How did Ulf T go straight to the top of the ratings I wonder? Perhaps he'd like to contribute to this thread with an explanation of how his new coach and/or chess training books have led to this unbelievable rise.

Or could it be something else.....?
he must have discovered the analysis board

;-)