1. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    21 Jan '15 12:09
    Originally posted by st40
    he must have discovered the analysis board

;-)
    maybe he was a child and now has a 'mature' brain after some years in chess...

Alekhine was very bad player before his 20's ... then he became a champion
  2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    21 Jan '15 16:221 edit
    Originally posted by Schlecter
    maybe he was a child and now has a 'mature' brain after some years in chess...

Alekhine was very bad player before his 20's ... then he became a champion
    I can only wish I was capable of playing as 'badly' as teenaged Alekhine did. 😛
  3. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    21 Jan '15 16:52
    Alekhine a very bad player before his 20s? I don't even know where to begin. Just go through some of the games here:
    http://www.chessgames.com/player/alexander_alekhine.html
  4. Joined
    21 Nov '14
    Moves
    22 Jan '15 00:20
    Originally posted by Data Fly
    Alekhine a very bad player before his 20s? I don't even know where to begin. Just go through some of the games here:
    http://www.chessgames.com/player/alexander_alekhine.html
    I've read he collaborated with the Nazis and he was eventually murdered because of it...
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Jan '15 11:091 edit
    Originally posted by woadman
    I've read he collaborated with the Nazis and he was eventually murdered because of it...
    Here is one version of that:

http://en.chessbase.com/post/alekhine-s-death-an-unresolved-mystery-

One thing they point out in the death photo is if he actually was choking on a piece of meat, which the autopsy showed to have been in his throat, the tableware would have been scattered all over the room in what would have been a desperate struggle to dislodge that meat from his throat yet the photo shows all the table ware and the chess set undisturbed.
  6. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    22 Jan '15 11:25
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Here is one version of that:

http://en.chessbase.com/post/alekhine-s-death-an-unresolved-mystery-

One thing they point out in the death photo is if he actually was choking on a piece of meat, which the autopsy showed to have been in his throat, the tableware would have been scattered all over the room in what would have been a desperate struggle to di ...[text shortened]... that meat from his throat yet the photo shows all the table ware and the chess set undisturbed.
    Maybe the KGB was interested in killing Alekhine...

then they take over the chess with help of FIDE to make a Russian champion forever.

Reuben Fine, didn't play in the tournament to find the next champion, because he knew that was fixed
  7. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    22 Jan '15 16:55
    Originally posted by woadman
    Some of the chess programs say they can work in 64 "cores" or multiple processors. Who has a computer like that ? I went to DELL and they dont have anything above 4 cores. My computer is an I7 Intel processor & I have a total of 4 cores. One must be reserved to operate the system, so that leaves 3 cores. Maybe some other company sells hardware with more CPUs..probably cost $10,000 or more !
    It's not that expensive, top of the range graphics cards can knock out a teraflop double precision and cost around $1,000. If you don't mind forking out $2,000 or so you can get a 52 core Xeon Phi. AMD released a sixteen core processor a few years ago that cost less than $1,000. Dell are not the people to go to for high performance machines.
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    22 Jan '15 19:04
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    It's not that expensive, top of the range graphics cards can knock out a teraflop double precision and cost around $1,000. If you don't mind forking out $2,000 or so you can get a 52 core Xeon Phi. AMD released a sixteen core processor a few years ago that cost less than $1,000. Dell are not the people to go to for high performance machines.
    From whence originates evil: the doer of the deed, or the one who supplies their knowledge? 😵
  9. Joined
    21 Nov '14
    Moves
    22 Jan '15 20:411 edit
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    So is it better to get a computer with many CPU chips. or one chip that has many cores ? Also I've heard of "threading" which also ups the performance of a computer's thinking speed.
  10. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    22 Jan '15 21:46
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    From whence originates evil: the doer of the deed, or the one who supplies their knowledge? 😵
    I'm a firm believer in giving people plenty of rope.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree