1. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    29 Apr '17 00:23
    The ice caps are disappearing. Read the writing on the wall.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 May '17 14:47
    Originally posted by apathist
    The ice caps are disappearing. Read the writing on the wall.
    And there will be much more wall to read the writing as more ice disappears. No problem though, right? Who cares if Florida disappears, becomes half its original size, we just move inland a bit, right? And just LOOK at all that new farm land that will happen in Montana and Canada, right?

All those marine creatures gone extinct, no big deal, something will replace it. I guess you don't mind never having fish to eat anymore, right? Just grow salmon on fish farms I guess. Great for the previous genetic diversity, diversity Shmersity, who gives a shyte?
  3. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    02 May '17 15:531 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    And there will be much more wall to read the writing as more ice disappears. No problem though, right? Who cares if Florida disappears, becomes half its original size, we just move inland a bit, right? And just LOOK at all that new farm land that will happen in Montana and Canada, right?

All those marine creatures gone extinct, no big deal, something wi ...[text shortened]... farms I guess. Great for the previous genetic diversity, diversity Shmersity, who gives a shyte?
    I have learned a lot from this thread.

It seems unlikely that individual opinions on this issue will change, ever. Regardless of the strength of this particular scientific argument, the data can be interpreted differently depending on ideology. I just read a fascinating New York Times column written by a climate skeptic comparing this issue to Hillary Clinton's loss in the presidential election [1]. Essentially, election polling was wrong so maybe climate scientists are wrong. It is of course true that the exact anthropogenic contribution to climate change will never be fully understood. We only have one planet to study. Imagine if you were trying to decipher the health benefits of diet and exercise if you only had one study subject?

We need the models. To most trained scientists, the benefit of models are obvious. I use cell culture models to study cancer. Cells don't mimic cancer exactly, but they are extremely useful in understanding root causes of disease. The climate models are used in exactly the same manner: To identify the underlying variables that cause climate change (CO2, aerosols, land use, etc. etc.) We have learned a lot about our climate through their use. But...not perfect. Despite this acknowledgement from every credible scientific article, skeptics leverage every imperfection to assert all climate science must be wrong.

It seems like climate skeptics clearly are exploiting the reality of scientific uncertainty to create a paralyzing, log-jam argument. An argument that begins with "show me the data" and "there is no consensus" proceeds through "that data is no good, there are still unanswered questions, 69% might be 45% so it's not primary" and finally "We can't do anything about it and we'd be better off with a warmer planet anyway."

Is this hopeless? The US is now giving up on efficiency standards for autos and the Paris Climate agreement. Is there any way to bridge the ideological divide and come up with common-sense solutions to slow the forces of climate change?

The one thing most everyone agrees on is: It is happening. Are we going to build a giant retaining wall around Florida to keep the ocean out? Relocate all of those people to Ohio?

Maybe, just maybe, if we reduce our carbon emissions by decommissioning coal plants, using fuel efficient/electric cars, efficient light bulbs, alter land use policy, we can slow climate change and give us a more sustainable world for a longer period of time. But since we don't know for sure if that will help, or by how much, climate skeptics continue to think we should do nothing. Certainty is not a requirement for most political decisions. Why is certainty necessary for climate policy?

[1] https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/28/opinion/climate-of-complete-certainty.html
  4. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    03 May '17 22:12
    ...And just LOOK at all that new farm land that will happen in Montana and Canada, right?...
    New world is coming.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 May '17 10:56
    Originally posted by apathist
    New world is coming.
    Whether we want it or not, genetic diversity be damned.
  6. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    04 May '17 19:50
    Originally posted by humy
    false; at least regarding your education specifically on science; just reading your moronic posts about science gives us all a very good clue.
    I have repeatedly refused to disclose my educational level.

And we very obviously all know why you refuse; you are certainly no science expert. Obviously, you refusing confirms this for there is no other creditable motive for your refusal.
    Assuming is your weak link. Learn to be open minded. Habitual assuming is a great fault of yours.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 May '17 20:54
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    Assuming is your weak link. Learn to be open minded. Habitual assuming is a great fault of yours.
    But of course you don't assume anything, just depend on 90 year old men to do your thinking for you.
  8. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    12 May '17 14:56
    But of course you don't assume anything, just depend on 90 year old men to do your thinking for you.
    You are assuming too. What is wrong with you? There are other skeptics that make a lot of sense and exposes falsehoods.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 May '17 17:30
    You are assuming too. What is wrong with you? There are other skeptics that make a lot of sense and exposes falsehoods.
    Skeptics have a place in society but they are being glommed onto by politicians in their abrogation of responsibilty, let George do it, hopefully in the year 2075 when I will be long dead and gone thank you.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12 May '17 22:50
    Skeptics have a place in society but they are being glommed onto by politicians in their abrogation of responsibilty, let George do it, hopefully in the year 2075 when I will be long dead and gone thank you.
    Hopefully? Guaranteed.
  11. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    13 May '17 16:00
    Nope. Skeptics have it right. They just don't get funding as often, that is why their point of view is being suppressed.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 May '17 18:331 edit
    Nope. Skeptics have it right. They just don't get funding as often, that is why their point of view is being suppressed.
    And what if they are 100% wrong? What then, man of metal?
    You can't just come back with , well they are NOT wrong. You need to consider the idea they may be 100% wrong.
  13. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    15 May '17 15:50
    No one gets grant funding just for being a skeptic. You need a testable hypothesis, and a realistic means to test it, and some preliminary evidence that your idea might be correct. There are a lot of researchers testing your solar flare idea, for example, but they're not considered skeptics. They're scientists. If you "have it right" as you say, you are not a skeptic.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 May '17 23:071 edit
    "Who said the "blame" was solely on CO2?"

Who is blaming anything else? Not humy or sonhouse.

"Interesting hypothesis about the sun. How should we test it?"

Time is the only test. You cannot test the past solar activity. Maybe the sun is why the ice ages are cyclical. Can you prove they are not. No, you cannot. Curb your own propaganda before whining about others.
    I never said CO2 was the only cause of warming. Methane is 20 times stronger as a greenhouse gas and the only reason it is not dominant is because it is much less dense in the atmosphere, like hundreds of times less dense V CO2, now clocking in at 400 PPM and rising. Water vapor is also a greenhouse gas.

We have solar records going back near 100 years, I saw one of the solar observatories at Mount Wilson near where we used to live, very instructive tour given to us, 2 15 year old HS students who happened on the chief astronomer and he took a liking to us and gave us a grand tour of the 100 inch scope and the solar observatory. Obviously not as accurate as what we have today but there were observations going on most of century 20.
  15. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    16 May '17 20:13
    Originally posted by wildgrass
    No one gets grant funding just for being a skeptic. You need a testable hypothesis, and a realistic means to test it, and some preliminary evidence that your idea might be correct. There are a lot of researchers testing your solar flare idea, for example, but they're not considered skeptics. They're scientists. If you "have it right" as you say, you are not a skeptic.
    Many skeptics have tenure positions and that is the only reason they still have jobs in their fields. Skeptics without tenure find themselves unemployed much of the time.

Climate models are NOT a realistic means to test a hypothesis, yet they still receive funding.

http://principia-scientific.org/nasa-exposed-in-massive-new-climate-data-fraud/

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree