Black Holes + JuMBOs = Dark Matter?

Black Holes + JuMBOs = Dark Matter?

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MB

Moves
193d

@sonhouse

Show me the non-baryonic matter.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
193d
1 edit

@Metal-Brain
Which means you did not watch the video, I know, you are WAY to intelligent to ever need a video by a delightful Phd since ALL scientists are bonkers........
Like I said, have you ever seen an electron? If not they must not exist since you can't see them.

MB

Moves
193d

@sonhouse
https://phys.org/news/2008-02-electron.html

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
193d

@Metal-Brain
And of course you won't watch that video, since you want to believe in your buddies fantasies.

Planet Rain

Moves
191d

So, the definition of the term "dark matter" is, essentially, any kind of matter pervading the cosmos that we cannot detect using our current instruments of observation. That could be baryonic matter or nonbaryonic matter.

For the past few decades the prevailing opinion has been that dark matter must be something exotic and decidedly nonbaryonic. As I've indicated on page 1 here, I'm skeptical about this. I don't believe there is any kind of conspiracy afoot, but academia is not immune to some good old-fashioned groupthink now and again. Just witness all the grant money still being vacuumed up by string theory, with nothing to show for it but some fancy mathematics.

The articles I linked to do not put to rest the idea of nonbaryonic dark matter, but it gives baryonic dark matter a boost. I think it's going to come to pass that whatever nonbaryonic dark matter may exist, it's going to comprise a smaller percentage of all dark matter than previously estimated. And yes, it may not even exist at all. It's much too early to tell.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
191d

@Soothfast
If there was no dark matter there would be no galaxies, or what we see now anyway, Dark matter in the early universe is what gave gravity a chance to pull normal matter together.
It would be a way different universe today if there was no dark matter.
And we can see dark matter by the affect of gravitational lensing which gives cosmologists a lot of information about both the object with the mass creating the lens and the object being magnified.
Dark matter is not theoretical it is real and measurable even if we can't directly see the stuff no matter what the stuff actually is, we don't need that identity to prove dark matter exists.

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
190d

Dark matter is not theoretical it is real and measurable even if we can't directly see the stuff no matter what the stuff actually is, we don't need that identity to prove dark matter exists.
Unlike the alien life forms we can't see which tangle up wires when they have been straightened out the previous week

MB

Moves
190d

@sonhouse said
@Soothfast
If there was no dark matter there would be no galaxies, or what we see now anyway, Dark matter in the early universe is what gave gravity a chance to pull normal matter together.
And we can see dark matter by the affect of gravitational lensing which gives cosmologists a lot of information ...[text shortened]... stuff no matter what the stuff actually is, we don't need that identity to prove dark matter exists.
Dude, you just don't get it.
The stars at the outermost part of the galaxy are going a lot faster than they should. They are not obeying the currently accepted laws of gravity. I don't care how much unseen matter (baryonic or non baryonic) you say exists, that still cannot explain why the stars at the inner part of the galaxy are not completing full orbits around the center much faster than the outer most stars.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
190d
1 edit

@Metal-Brain
YOU don't get it. And never will apparently. Did you watch the video of that lady who happens to have a Phd in physics? I guess that must mean she is just another stupid scientist who has an ax to grind and therefore anything she says is bogus, right?
Or, you could actually watch the video and actually learn something.
Naw, that would punch holes in your fantasy world and you can't have that can you?

Planet Rain

Moves
190d

@sonhouse said
@Soothfast
And we can see dark matter by the affect of gravitational lensing which gives cosmologists a lot of information ...[text shortened]... stuff no matter what the stuff actually is, we don't need that identity to prove dark matter exists.
Yes, I agree. I don't deny the existence of dark matter -- that is, "stuff we currently can't see directly." The question is: what is the dark matter made of. If there are a lot more black holes floating in space than previously guessed, then some of the dark matter is attributable to them. If there are an order of magnitude more rogue planets floating around in interstellar or intergalactic space than our models heretofore estimated, then some of the dark matter is attributable to them as well. And so on.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
190d

@Soothfast
That is for scientists to suss out, right now we know there is SOMETHING out there that has mass and effects how galaxies form, the matter in nebula say, would not be enough by itself to make enough of a gravity well to attract enough together to make galaxies in the first place, I would say for now that is all we need to know, it is there, it is real whether it is the ghosts of past lives, grampa clumping up galaxies, whatever, we know the stuff is there. I think the stuff is non baryoinic otherwise there would be more interaction probably🙂 It could be a cloud of neutrino's which does have some mass, and if there were a LOT of them.......
Of course just speculation.

MB

Moves
187d
1 edit

@sonhouse said
@Metal-Brain
YOU don't get it. And never will apparently. Did you watch the video of that lady who happens to have a Phd in physics? I guess that must mean she is just another stupid scientist who has an ax to grind and therefore anything she says is bogus, right?
Or, you could actually watch the video and actually learn something.
Naw, that would punch holes in your fantasy world and you can't have that can you?
So does that mean you reject Modified Newtonian Dynamics? Yes or no?

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/physics-and-astronomy/galaxy-rotation-curves

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
187d

@Metal-Brain
I assume therefore you are never going to watch that video. Mond does not answer all the questions about dark matter and probably never will.

Moves
186d

@metal-brain said
@sonhouse

Show me the non-baryonic matter.
Easy. Put your tongue on the prongs of a 4.5-volt battery.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
186d

@Shallow-Blue
Better yet, stick your tongue in a 110 volt socket🙂