psychology of conspiracy theorists

psychology of conspiracy theorists

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

h

Moves
24 Apr 14
1 edit

Originally posted by googlefudge
Preventing catastrophic climate change is [much] cheaper than not preventing it.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2014/apr/22/preventing-global-warming-cheaper-than-adapting
So it it definitely IS cheaper to prevent rather than to adapt to it just exactly like I very strongly suspected!

Metal Brain

This makes my point. Look at what this scientific study shows (posted by googlefudge ) and come back to us:

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2014/apr/22/preventing-global-warming-cheaper-than-adapting

h

Moves
24 Apr 14
1 edit

Morocco wind farm, Africa's biggest, starts generating power

http://phys.org/news/2014-04-morocco-farm-africa-biggest-power.html

Good for them!
Pity we are not quite doing the same -our loss.

MB

Moves
24 Apr 14

Originally posted by humy
People will adapt and do fine. People will have decades to prepare and move to higher altitudes if needed.

So, rather than take cost-effective action ( and there is now such technologically available cost-effective action that we can choose ) of preventing that sea level rise, are you saying here it would be better to let that sea level r ...[text shortened]... e has absolutely nothing to do with why I think what I do - science is the actual reason.
Moving is part of life. We have all done it, but you make it seem like is a be all, end all event. Dude, life goes on and those that adapt survive and those that do not go extinct. Man is very adaptable and will survive even a waterworld like future.
I would like to know your proposed solution to global worming. Is it a tax? I would like to know.

h

Moves
24 Apr 14

Originally posted by Metal Brain
Moving is part of life. We have all done it, but you make it seem like is a be all, end all event. Dude, life goes on and those that adapt survive and those that do not go extinct. Man is very adaptable and will survive even a waterworld like future.
I would like to know your proposed solution to global worming. Is it a tax? I would like to know.
Moving is part of life. We have all done it,

right, but, so far, not forced to due to preventable sea level rise which is the fault of previous generations -big difference.
Man is very adaptable and will survive even a waterworld like future.

is that a reason to CAUSE a waterworld like future when we know we can prevent it?
Why would it be less bad to prevent it so we don't ever NEED to adapt to it?

MB

Moves
24 Apr 14

Moving is part of life. We have all done it,

right, but, so far, not forced to due to preventable sea level rise which is the fault of previous generations -big difference.
Man is very adaptable and will survive even a waterworld like future.

is that a reason to CAUSE a waterworld like future when we know we can prevent it?
Why would it be less bad to prevent it so we don't ever NEED to adapt to it?
Waterworld will never happen. I'm just pointing out that man is adaptable.

What is your proposed solution? Is it a tax?

MB

Moves
24 Apr 14

Originally posted by googlefudge
Preventing catastrophic climate change is [much] cheaper than not preventing it.

Here is an excerpt from the link you posted:

"The bottom line is that economists can't even accurately estimate how much climate damages will cost if we fail to take serious steps to slow global warming."

In other words nobody knows. That undercuts the whole premise of the article. Inconclusive and therefore meaningless. Just another opinion piece without merit.

h

Moves
25 Apr 14
1 edit

Waterworld will never happen. I'm just pointing out that man is adaptable.

What is your proposed solution? Is it a tax?
Sea level will rise significantly if we do nothing. The solution is, extremely obviously, go all renewable energy -this would be cost effective thanks to advances in renewable technology. The only real current barrier is politics.

h

Moves
25 Apr 14

Here is an excerpt from the link you posted:

"The bottom line is that economists can't even accurately estimate how much climate damages will cost if we fail to take serious steps to slow global warming."

In other words nobody knows. That undercuts the whole premise of the article. Inconclusive and therefore meaningless. Just another opinion piece without merit.
"nobody knows" the correct estimate, NOT that serious damage will be done because it is OBVIOUS that serious damage will be done if we do nothing.

MB

Moves
25 Apr 14

Sea level will rise significantly if we do nothing. The solution is, extremely obviously, go all renewable energy -this would be cost effective thanks to advances in renewable technology. The only real current barrier is politics.
"this would be cost effective thanks to advances in renewable technology. The only real current barrier is politics."

What is your source of information?

MB

Moves
25 Apr 14

"nobody knows" the correct estimate, NOT that serious damage will be done because it is OBVIOUS that serious damage will be done if we do nothing.

h

Moves
25 Apr 14
15 edits

Which piece of information? that there would be serious damage if the sea level rises significantly? more hurricanes, floods and droughts ( and the inevitable famines in some places that would result ) isn't serious damage? That basic physics tells us that these things will happen if we do nothing?

OK, try:

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2013/09/rising-seas/folger-text

does that help?

How about this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_opinion_on_climate_change

the scientists that have done the research know a lot more about it than you do so why do you arrogantly think you know all about it and better? What research have you done on it that the scientists haven't? Where do YOU get your information from that there is NO man made warming (is that what you actually believe? ) other than none science sources?
Not even I pretend to know about it as well as they do ( outside my area of expertise ) and yet I seem to know a lot more about it than you do so why cannot you believe them let alone me?

here is some of the basic evidence:

http://ossfoundation.us/projects/environment/global-warming/human-caused
"...How do we know humans cause global warming?

Many are still asking is current global warming natural or human caused? The idea that global warming is natural is not an absurd question. In the natural cycle, global warming is natural. The better question is, 'is current global warming natural'? There are multiple lines of evidence that point us to the origin of our current warming:

Greenhouse gases trap infrared heat energy.
The isotopic signature clearly shows that the extra CO2 in the atmosphere is from fossil fuels.
We are no longer in the natural cycle. We have largely departed from the natural course of climate and there is no natural mechanism that explains it.
The models and the observations match.
There is simply no other mechanism that can explain the significantly altered climate path and the changes in the radiative forcing other than human causes.

To understand why 'this current' global warming is human caused and not natural cycle, one needs to get an idea of what the natural cycle is and what are the basic mechanisms that cause climate change in the natural cycle. The absolute essentials that you need to understand are the drivers:

Greenhouse Gases
Milankovitch Cycles

To get a more detailed understanding of the mechanisms, you need to learn a little about:

Radiative Forcing
Natural Variability
Climate Feedbacks
Climate Models
Weather vs. Climate
..."

Do you deny any of the facts that I have highlighted above? if so, exactly which ones and why? -where is YOUR evidence?

it then explains each of the above. Read it all then come back to us.

MB

Moves
25 Apr 14

Which piece of information? that there would be serious damage if the sea level rises significantly? more hurricanes, floods and droughts ( and the inevitable famines in some places that would result ) isn't serious damage? That basic physics tells us that these things will happen if we do nothing?

OK, try:

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2013/09/risin ...[text shortened]... where is YOUR evidence?

it then explains each of the above. Read it all then come back to us.
You should read the views of scientists with a different opinion than yourself so you have a better understanding of climate change. I like Fred Singer and how he explains the facts, but read the other scientist's opinions before dismissing them. I suspect you avoid the views of anybody that disagrees with you and that gives you a false sense of certainty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_scientists_opposing_the_mainstream_scientific_assessment_of_global_warming

I'm still waiting for your source of info on the renewables if you have one.

MB

Moves
25 Apr 14

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-ten-most-important-climate-change-skeptics-2009-7?op=1

h

Moves
25 Apr 14
2 edits

You should read the views of scientists with a different opinion than yourself so you have a better understanding of climate change. I like Fred Singer and how he explains the facts, but read the other scientist's opinions before dismissing them. I suspect you avoid the views of anybody that disagrees with you and that gives you a false sense of certaint ...[text shortened]... f_global_warming

I'm still waiting for your source of info on the renewables if you have one.
You should read the views of scientists with a different opinion than yourself

You mean the very tiny minority of cranks that happen to have some science qualifications rather than the overwhelming majority of scientists that accept scientific fact as fact and state the science facts of climate change? -err, no. I should not. No point. I have seen their nonsense and I and others have debunked their nonsense on countless occasion. I will not waste any more of my time on them.

Actually, I don't form my opinion from the mere word of the scientists (not even the good ones ) but rather my opinion forms from the science.

I'm still waiting for your source of info on the renewables if you have one

why “info on the renewables”? What KIND of “info” on renewables? What? Are you suddenly now a “renewable” denier as well i.e. you deny renewables exist?

MB

Moves
25 Apr 14

"this would be cost effective thanks to advances in renewable technology. The only real current barrier is politics."

Prove it.