The Moon and Design

The Moon and Design

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

h

Moves
20 Feb 17
7 edits

Originally posted by chaney3
Humy was suggesting an immediate move of 100,000 miles, right now. It would be deadly.
WHY or HOW "deadly"?
WHY or HOW would we humans all die?
Obviously, humans would NOT all die from this.
Human life would go on; why wouldn't it? We humans don't right now need the moon just to survive.
You make no sense.

It may be harmful for some, certainly not most, species of wildlife if the lunar cycle is changed because they have evolved over millions of years to be inevitably and unsurprisingly adapted to the lunar cycle being exactly what it is and it may take those species dependent on the lunar cycle a very long time to fully re-adapt and just a few might go extinct first, but WE humans will not directly be effected let alone die from a change in the lunar cycle!

c

Moves
20 Feb 17

Both sonhouse and humy are suggesting that earth will not be too much affected if our moon suddenly disappeared, or moved over 100,000 miles further away.

Is this correct? Human life would be okay?

I could google, but I will ask here instead.

h

Moves
20 Feb 17
5 edits

Both sonhouse and humy are suggesting that earth will not be too much affected if our moon suddenly disappeared, or moved over 100,000 miles further away.

Yes, human life, just like most life on Earth, would be basically okay.
What on earth made you think human life would not be okay if the Moon disappeared?

The Moon suddenly disappearing would be bad news for those species that depend on the lunar cycle and that may extremely indirectly do some MINER harm to human life by upsetting ecology, but most species including the human species are not directly dependent on the lunar cycles and will go on surviving without much difficulty so it certainty wouldn't be the end of the world! The Moon suddenly disappearing would be bad news for the breading cycle of coral, but even then coral and coral reefs would continue to thrive, just merely with less efficient breading cycle, that is all. Only a few non-human species may go extinct. Probably many more species would go extinct through human activity destroying natural habitats and man made global warming than the Moon disappearing (hypothetically).

c

Moves
20 Feb 17

Originally posted by humy
Yes, human life, just like most life on Earth, would be basically okay.
What on earth made you think human life would not be okay?

The Moon suddenly disappearing would be bad news for those species that depend on the lunar cycle and that may extremely indirectly do some MINER harm to human life by upsetting ecology, but most species including the human spe ...[text shortened]... ly with less efficient breading cycle, that is all. Only a few non-human species may go extinct.
I cannot prove it at this time, but I am almost certain that our oceans would provide massive tidal waves, wiping out much of our population if the moon were drastically moved, or worse, disappeared.

h

Moves
20 Feb 17
4 edits

I cannot prove it at this time, but I am almost certain that our oceans would provide massive tidal waves, wiping out much of our population if the moon were drastically moved, or worse, disappeared.
But now you are talking about the gravitational effects of the gravity well of the Moon suddenly disappearing, which cannot have anything to do with 'design' because that wouldn't explain the 'motive' of a 'designer' making it that exact distance from the Earth since you would get a gravitational effect if the Moon were to suddenly disappear REGARDLESS of what distance it is orbiting around the Earth. What if the Moon where to gradually disappear by its mass and therefore its gravity shrinking over, say a one year period? Then there would be no short term gravitational effect.
Or what if the Moon is and was always in the past and present 50% further away from the Earth than it is and was? That also would not harm human life therefore there is no explanation why a 'designer' wouldn't have put the Moon 50% further away from the Earth.

c

Moves
20 Feb 17

But now you are talking about the gravitational effects of the gravity well of the Moon suddenly disappearing, which has nothing to do with 'design' because that wouldn't explain the 'motive' of a 'designer' making it that exact distance from the Earth since you would get a significant gravitational effect if the Moon were to suddenly disappear REGARDLESS of wh ...[text shortened]... e is no explanation why a 'designer' wouldn't have put the Moon 50% further away from the Earth.
My point is that I believe we need the moon.

Your post is gibberish.

h

Moves
20 Feb 17
3 edits

My point is that I believe we need the moon.
For what?

You haven't explained.

Your post is gibberish.

You seem to call many post that goes against your religious beliefs gibberish even though everyone understands them just fine.
But, science and logic don't care about your religious beliefs and calling science and logic gibberish doesn't make it so.
Grow up.

Planet Rain

Moves
20 Feb 17

I could google, but I will ask here instead.
"Suddenly disappeared"? Yes, I suppose if the Moon went poof inside a millisecond, the sudden cessation of its gravitational pull on the Earth would cause the crust to recoil, resulting in earthquakes and tidal disturbances...

But the Moon isn't going to "suddenly disappear."

c

Moves
20 Feb 17

Originally posted by Soothfast
"Suddenly disappeared"? Yes, I suppose if the Moon went poof inside a millisecond, the sudden cessation of its gravitational pull on the Earth would cause the crust to recoil, resulting in earthquakes and tidal disturbances...

But the Moon isn't going to "suddenly disappear."
Please read the post by sonhouse near the bottom of page 41. He implys that if a spaceship took our moon away suddenly, it would not matter too much.

I look forward to your reply.

h

Moves
20 Feb 17

Please read the post by sonhouse near the bottom of page 41. He implys that if a spaceship took our moon away suddenly, it would not matter too much.

the gravitational effects, regardless of how harmful they would be, of the gravity of the Moon suddenly disappearing, is irrelevant to 'design' because that wouldn't explain the 'motive' of a 'designer' making it that exact distance from the Earth since you would get a gravitational effect if the Moon were to suddenly disappear REGARDLESS of what distance it is orbiting around the Earth.

-Are you going to yet again moronically pretend to be so incredibly stupid as to not comprehend plain English?

c

Moves
20 Feb 17

the gravitational effects, regardless of how harmful they would be, of the gravity of the Moon suddenly disappearing, is irrelevant to 'design' because that wouldn't explain the 'motive' of a 'designer' making it that exact distance from the Earth since you would get a gravitational effect if the Moon were to suddenly disappear REGARDLESS of what distance it is ...[text shortened]... to yet again moronically pretend to be so incredibly stupid as to not comprehend plain English?
It is possible that our moon is exactly where it was put, and needs to be. Design.

Moron.

Über-Nerd

Moves
20 Feb 17

It is possible that our moon is exactly where it was put, and needs to be. Design.
Possible, yes, at least in the sense that the hypothesis is not self-contradictory. But there is no evidence of this.

c

Moves
20 Feb 17

Originally posted by moonbus
Possible, yes, at least in the sense that the hypothesis is not self-contradictory. But there is no evidence of this.
Can we live without the moon?

As humy and sonhouse think?

Über-Nerd

Moves
21 Feb 17
5 edits

I readily grant that it is possible that if the moon if were to disappear in an instant, it would upset the biosphere. This shows merely that life is dependent on various other things (life is dependent on the availability of nutrients and energy, for example); but dependence is not design or evidence for design.

You have posted to the science forum. So far, you have offered nothing which would count as evidence for the contention that the moon is where it is by design. You have offered only unsubstantiated contentions and non sequiturs which would not be given a second thought by any reputable scientific community.

You have offered nothing which counts as evidence that the existence of life on this planet was by design, or that the existence of life on this planet was designed to be dependent upon there being a moon.

I readily grant that solar and lunar eclipses are edifying spectacles. Edifying spectacles are evidence of nothing but the subjective propensity of mankind to project edifyingness into an objective reality which has no need to impress us with edifying spectacles. If you want to claim that edifyingness is proof of design, take it to SF.

Cape Town

Moves
21 Feb 17

It is possible that our moon is exactly where it was put, ....
No, it is not possible. The moon, the sun and the whole galaxy are constantly moving. If the moon was 'exactly where it was put' at some theoretical point in the past, it would be on the other side of the universe by now.