An idea for improving the “thumbs” feature

An idea for improving the “thumbs” feature

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
11 Feb 23

@kewpie said
The topic of this thread is thumbs. I'd like to propose a simple program change (venda's suggestion above) which I believe would solve the problem once and for all.

Russ, could we please have an option to turn off the visibility of thumbs added to our preference options?

Thumb-haters could forget about them altogether, thumb-lovers wouldn't get so crabby whenever the topic comes up. Win-win.
Out-of-sight, out-of-mind. I like it.

Leave the feature as-is, yet give the butthurt a tool to remove their distress.

Make it so.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
11 Feb 23

Observation.
How this thread has descended into abuse since Suzianne joined it.

Moves
11 Feb 23

@suzianne said
So you can commit a pogrom
Don't use words whose real meaning you cannot begin to understand, middle-class white USA Evangelical girl.

👌

Moves
11 Feb 23

🤣

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
11 Feb 23

@shallow-blue said
We knew you'd be back.

The answer is still no. No matter how hard and how often you whine.
There never has been a no from Russ and I don’t see why you are objecting to my requesting it being considered.

F

Moves
11 Feb 23

@suzianne said
So you can commit a pogrom of abuse towards them, as you are wont to do against those who disagree with you publicly?
If someone "commits a pogrom of abuse" then they'll get a forum ban.

F

Moves
11 Feb 23

@suzianne said
Limiting one's freedom to disagree doesn't make the signals of disagreement that do get through any more "valuable". It just looks like less people disagree, which is what they want.

Don't condone the abuse that causes most of the red thumbs. They will misrepresent anything in their quest to limit the freedom of those who disagree with them.
No one is suggesting limiting "one's freedom to disagree". People can disagree all they want. That's true now and it would be still true if thumbs were given increased value, made not anonymous, or even if the feature were removed altogether. One could still disagree with what another poster posted as much as one wanted.

F

Moves
11 Feb 23

@suzianne said
"I don't see how limiting someone's freedom to disagree limits their freedom to disagree."

FMF-translate module no. 145.
Nope. What I said was: I don't see how anyone's "freedom to disagree" is affected by limiting the number of red and green thumbs they can give over a period of time.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
12 Feb 23

Moves
12 Feb 23

The post that was quoted here has been removed
How would you know? You've only been here for "2 days".

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
12 Feb 23

@shallow-blue said
How would you know? You've only been here for "2 days".
With the Lord 2 days is as a 1000 day ban.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
12 Feb 23

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
12 Feb 23

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
12 Feb 23
1 edit

Über-Nerd

Moves
12 Feb 23

@kewpie said
The topic of this thread is thumbs. I'd like to propose a simple program change (venda's suggestion above) which I believe would solve the problem once and for all.

Russ, could we please have an option to turn off the visibility of thumbs added to our preference options?

Thumb-haters could forget about them altogether, thumb-lovers wouldn't get so crabby whenever the topic comes up. Win-win.
Agreed: add an option to switch off visibility. But keep them anonymous, please. Then we can have peace and quiet on the issue, forever.