Fisher Random castling

Fisher Random castling

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
14 Jul 16

Since Thread 163240 is closed I Launch the idea anew.

Australia

Moves
18 Jul 16

The last post (BigDogg's) in that thread shows the complexity of the coding task required, given that the standard chess positions are fixed and the FR positions have many possibilities. Unless there is a huge demand for FR games on this site I can't see it happening.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
18 Jul 16

Originally posted by Kewpie
The last post (BigDogg's) in that thread shows the complexity of the coding task required, given that the standard chess positions are fixed and the FR positions have many possibilities. Unless there is a huge demand for FR games on this site I can't see it happening.
Only way to find out if there could be a huge demand is to implement the rules properly.

It's becoming a standard feature on turn-based chess sites. RHP errs by not fixing it, complex though the coding task may be.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
18 Jul 16

I would offer to do some of the coding. The algorithm is described, the coding is mainly to do the "Translation":

Quote: After castling, the rook and king's final positions are exactly the same positions as they would be in standard chess. Thus, after a-side castling (notated as O-O-O and known as queen-side castling in orthodox chess), the King is on c (c1 for White and c8 for Black) and the Rook is on d (d1 for White and d8 for Black). After h-side castling (notated as O-O and known as king-side castling in orthodox chess), the King is on g and the Rook is on f. It is recommended that a player state "I am about to castle" before castling, to eliminate potential misunderstanding. [http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/Fischer_Random_Chess.html]

The problematic Point is probably to intorduce castling Buttons as new elements, which could be usefule for the Standard games also anyhow.

TEXAS

STATE OF THE HEART

Moves
18 Jul 16
2 edits

Originally posted by Ponderable

introduce castling Buttons as new elements, which could be useful for the Standard games also anyhow.
Excellent idea...excellent I say...
Another goody would be to have tournament offers in Fischer Random as well as single games.

State of Confusion

Lancashire

Moves
18 Jul 16

I agree the more variety the better.

Moves
18 Jul 16

I love the idea of Fischer Random chess. If there was a tournament of this kind I would definitely play. Thanks for considering it!

Henry (hklee)

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
18 Jul 16

Very good idea!

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
18 Jul 16

Originally posted by eriron
Very good idea!
A big thumbs up from me.

-VR

l

Victor, New York

Moves
18 Jul 16

I agree with this suggestion.

TAMPERMAN

NOTTINGHAM

Moves
18 Jul 16

I'm all for more choices, variety, the spice of life.

TEXAS

STATE OF THE HEART

Moves
25 Jul 16

Originally posted by tamperman
I'm all for more choices, variety, the spice of life.
A while back Russ stated that "alternative chess" was in the works.
Where did the works go?

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
25 Jul 16
1 edit

Originally posted by LEUR
A while back Russ stated that "alternative chess" was in the works.
Where did the works go?
I had developed a whole new code base for the games which supported many variants. I literally was coding up page after page from a variants book - but found it wasn't a good fit with the RHP code as it stood at the time. (And now, actually)

The vote on the subject back in 2009 didn't fill me with confidence that many people even wanted it either.

I will have a look at "crowbarring" 960 in, as the castling is the only issue*, but I can't prioritise it right away.

*And the related FEN funnies.

TEXAS

STATE OF THE HEART

Moves
25 Jul 16

Originally posted by Russ
I had developed a whole new code base for the games which supported many variants. I literally was coding up page after page from a variants book - but found it wasn't a good fit with the RHP code as it stood at the time. (And now, actually)

The vote on the subject back in 2009 didn't fill me with confidence that many people even wanted it either.

I w ...[text shortened]... tling is the only issue*, but I can't prioritise it right away.

There it is...thank you sir.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
15 Sep 16

Originally posted by Russ

I w ...[text shortened]... tling is the only issue*, but I can't prioritise it right away.

Thank you, we will silently watch and see.