1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    23 Feb '24 10:14
    Is the universe information-rich?
    Can we study meaninglessness and get meaning out of it?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Feb '24 10:17
    @kellyjay said
    Yes

Yes
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Feb '24 20:021 edit
    @kellyjay said
    Okay, I've heard you use this term zillions of times in this forum.

What, exactly, do you mean by this term, 'meaninglessness', and what does it represent for you?

I'm thinking the term itself has no meaning.
  4. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    23 Feb '24 20:051 edit
    @kellyjay said
    Your questions are meaningless. (Not the universe).
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    23 Feb '24 22:36
    @kellyjay said
    Meaning, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Feb '24 00:15
    @kellyjay said
    When you say "meaning", do you mean theological meaning?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Feb '24 00:16
    @kellyjay said
    When you use the word "meaninglessness", are you referring to the absence of the Abrahamic God?
  8. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    24 Feb '24 00:29
    @fmf said
    When you use the word "meaninglessness", are you referring to the absence of the Abrahamic God?
    KellyJay is a miracle worker. Alone he manages to bring together fierce opposing dueling forces.
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    24 Feb '24 02:34
    @pettytalk said
    KellyJay is a miracle worker. Alone he manages to bring together fierce opposing dueling forces.
    Not due to me, there is a very huge common villain to many here, so any possibility He may be acknowledged as real causes a united front. Because acknowledging God would change absolutely everything in the universe, so it is not a little thing, making it completely understandable.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Feb '24 03:08
    @kellyjay said
    Because acknowledging God would change absolutely everything in the universe, so it is not a little thing, making it completely understandable.
    You "acknowledging" the God that you just so happen to believe in may well affect how you perceive the universe but doing so would not alter what it is we know and don't know about it.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Feb '24 03:14
    @KellyJay
    The two questions you are unable or unwilling to answer are part of the discourse.
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    24 Feb '24 03:23
    @suzianne said
    Okay, I've heard you use this term zillions of times in this forum.

What, exactly, do you mean by this term, 'meaninglessness', and what does it represent for you?

I'm thinking the term itself has no meaning.
    A mindless process has no creative power to build something functionally complex, or even to preform something not functional but very specific where probabilities are largely stacked against it.

If you walked into a room and there were 100 coins on a table all having heads facing up. If I told you I flipped them all, and they each landed on heads in a row, see! Would you believe me or think with intent I set them up. If we were playing cards and I dealt myself 6 royal flushes in a row would you think I was intentionally cheating?

When I tell you I dumped a scrabble box full of letters on the table, and without any one inputting help a sentence formed during the dump that reads,“KELLY IS LEFT HANDED’ Would you believe me?

What is done with intention can overcome heavy odds where random chance and necessity are all that is. We listen to space listening for sounds that carry meaning that random meaningless noise doesn’t make.

A process that has no targets, nothing to give one choice more weight than another with several possibilities will not move into building something functionally complex and build into it instructions. Telling the difference between intent and true mindless should be easy to spot.
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    24 Feb '24 03:35
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Your questions are meaningless. (Not the universe).
    So you believe in meaning in the universe?
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    24 Feb '24 03:371 edit
    @moonbus said
    Meaning, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.
    I think there is a lot to that, we all may not see what another person does. Do you think we can impart meaning to another?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Feb '24 04:28
    @kellyjay said
    A mindless process has no creative power to build something functionally complex, or even to preform something not functional but very specific where probabilities are largely stacked against it.

If you walked into a room and there were 100 coins on a table all having heads facing up. If I told you I flipped them all, and they each landed on heads in a row, see! Would y ...[text shortened]... nto it instructions. Telling the difference between intent and true mindless should be easy to spot.
    Do you want people to subscribe to the "meaning" and "narrative" that you have settled for?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree