1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 May '16 06:42
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    But still, there's more than meets the eye in this story. One only need look just a little closer. Martin Luther King, Jr. had this to say about this story:

“The first question which the priest and the Levite asked was: 'If I stop to help this man, what will happen to me?' But... the good Samaritan reversed the question: 'If I do not stop to help this ...[text shortened]... happen to him?' ”

And this is why Jesus told this story, it gets to the heart of the matter.
    Yes agree, some imaginary dialog can add potential context, but my point to whodey was not about that, I was addressing his point that there was significance in the fact that there was no dialog.
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    04 May '16 10:20
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    does this apply to all love, or just love within the context of the passage?
    Yes, I think so. ".., Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself."

It's what one does. We obviously love ourselves because we spend a lot of time taking care of ourselves. Just think of all the things we do each day caring for ourselves.

Do whatever we can to help our neighbor with the same enthusiasm and motive we have in helping ourselves.

It's basically no more complicated than that.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 May '16 15:381 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Thus claimeth the Greek "master".
    I thought it as common knowledge among those who study the Bible, obviously not common enough.
  4. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    04 May '16 19:46
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Well now you are confusing two things. Love in the sense that Christ used it means brotherly love [demonstrated by compassion for others in need] and has very little to do with human affection [like the type you have for siblings].

A neighbour is anyone that that crosses your path.

Me personally? I do not answer personal questions on the internet.
    so when we say god loves me, or jesus loves me are we referring to 'brotherly love'?
  5. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    04 May '16 19:52
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Sir you seem unaware that for the Greeks and the early Christians there were four types of love, three of which are mentioned in scripture. agape (love based on principle) philio (love among friends) , storge (family love) and eros (romantic love between the sexes)
    I was indeed unaware, would I be correct in saying that it is agape we are discussing. if so it seems out of place with the other uses - family, friends and romantic are all emotional, where as principle is not. seems odd that they would all have the same etymology.

ill ask you the same questions as rajk999, which of those types of love does god feel for people?
  6. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    04 May '16 19:55
    Originally posted by josephw
    Yes, I think so. ".., Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself."

It's what one does. We obviously love ourselves because we spend a lot of time taking care of ourselves. Just think of all the things we do each day caring for ourselves.

Do whatever we can to help our neighbor with the same enthusiasm and motive we have in helping ourselves.

It's basically no more complicated than that.
    I'm not a big fan of people saying they love themselves, it seems odd to feel loving thoughts about oneself.
  7. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    04 May '16 19:59
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Yeah, i love my neighbours. Why not? It's not the same as liking someone
    it appears the word 'love' in a biblical context can have less 'emotional' meaning than liking somebody.
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    04 May '16 20:08
    so when we say god loves me, or jesus loves me are we referring to 'brotherly love'?
    Generally yes. Gods love is a helping and guiding type of love. It certainly not erotic or emotional.
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    04 May '16 20:10
    I'm not a big fan of people saying they love themselves, it seems odd to feel loving thoughts about oneself.
    I have to say that this was a problem for me as well when it became popular some years ago. Everybody was talking about the Oprah Winfrey type of self-love. I still cannot get my mind around the concept.
  10. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    04 May '16 20:34
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Generally yes. Gods love is a helping and guiding type of love. It certainly not erotic or emotional.
    I'm genuinely surprised by this, I have always assumed gods love was supposed to be a fatherly love. a guiding, less emotional love doesn't sound as powerful as the love we have for our children or partners.
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    04 May '16 20:55
    I'm genuinely surprised by this, I have always assumed gods love was supposed to be a fatherly love. a guiding, less emotional love doesn't sound as powerful as the love we have for our children or partners.
    I would say that as children we grow up with the concept you describe. As one continues to read and understand the Bible more, that fatherly love business [like human fatherly love] somehow does not apply. God can be a very harsh and demanding God .. certainly equivalent to worse fathers of the human type. But the explanation for that is that as humans we understand very little and know very little about all the facets of Gods love.
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    04 May '16 21:30
    Originally posted by whodey
    In the story of the Good Samaritan, notice the two men never converse. All that is known is that the Samaritan knew he was helping a foe.
    Oh, I get it.

Thank you
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    04 May '16 21:34
    it appears the word 'love' in a biblical context can have less 'emotional' meaning than liking somebody.
    I dont like hardly anyone.

'Cept my kids.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 May '16 16:27
    I was indeed unaware, would I be correct in saying that it is agape we are discussing. if so it seems out of place with the other uses - family, friends and romantic are all emotional, where as principle is not. seems odd that they would all have the same etymology.

ill ask you the same questions as rajk999, which of those types of love does god feel for people?
    Professor William Barclay in his New Testament Words says: “Agapē has to do with the mind: it is not simply an emotion which rises unbidden in our hearts; it is a principle by which we deliberately live. Agapē has supremely to do with the will.” In this context, agape is love that is governed, or guided, by principle, but it is often accompanied by strong emotion.
  15. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    05 May '16 17:41
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Professor William Barclay in his New Testament Words says: “Agapē has to do with the mind: it is not simply an emotion which rises unbidden in our hearts; it is a principle by which we deliberately live. Agapē has supremely to do with the will.” In this context, agape is love that is governed, or guided, by principle, but it is often accompanied by strong emotion.
    and how is the strong emotion that accompanies it best described?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree