1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Nov '15 12:37
    Originally posted by FMF
    You feel no onus on you to seek to convert others?
    I didn't say that. Christians are appointed to bring the Good News to those who may not be in a position to receive it in ways the rest of us do. Rajk speaks of "works" as an important part of Christian life. That it is, but we disagree on which comes first, the works or the salvation. The works I do, I do as a result of the Holy Spirit moving in me due to my salvation promised by God. As a part of this, I have brought the Gospel to many who are less fortunate, mainly the homeless. More importantly, many of these have been delivered from the streets, some only temporarily, but some permanently.

If you KNEW that our Savior lives, and promises that all will be saved, would you not share this good news? Jesus DOES save, one life at a time. I've run into my share of people who don't want to hear it, and I respect their wishes, but many of these also later ask me about it anyways.
  2. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    30 Nov '15 18:52
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Just because a reason makes no sense to you, doesn't mean it's not a valid reason. It could be that you're just not equipped to make sense of that reason. Do you think puppies understand that your key ring that you jingle in front of them is used by you to operate your motor vehicle? No, they have no concept. Similarly, you have no concept nor understan ...[text shortened]... een the truth, and if anyone wants to try to tell me it's not real, then they can go pound sand.
    That is a terrible and tragic story, such things shouldn't happen in this day and age, and if it's true [this is the
    internet] then I am very sorry that it happened to you. Particularly, in that it seems to have caused you to become
    a fervent believer in a religion that has you fearing an imaginary apocalypse [among other harms] and that this is an ongoing
    harm to you, and all you convince to believe as you do.

Yes, this is just my personal narrative, and no, I'm not demanding, or even expecting, you to believe it. I bring this up only to illustrate that this is the only time I ever received a personal message from God (passed to me by the angels). And yes, I understand that since you don't believe, that you can dream up 500 reasons why this is not proof. I agree, it's only anecdotal to you, but it IS proof to me. I was not even yet a Christian at this point, but later I became a Christian while I was away at college.

We do not need to dream up reasons that this is not proof, we have many many fully documented ways in which this
    could be imagined/hallucinated/etc that are known to occur.

And as such, it should not be proof for you either.

Given that I/we have posted reams upon reams of evidence that people can delude themselves and suffer hallucinations etc
    even without mind altering drugs or suffering the stress and misery you describe in your story. And that you have ignored or
    rejected all that evidence either completely or somehow not applying to you. I have to ask this question...

Why do you believe that you are somehow special and are completely immune from illusion/hallucination/etc that
    experiment after experiment shows everyone else to be susceptible to... And thus can be confident enough to claim
    to know that what you claim to have experienced was real and not a delusion?

If you cannot explain why you have such immunity, how can you continue to claim that this experience was really true
    and deny all possibility that it could be some kind of hallucination/other delusion/illusion/etc?
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Nov '15 19:22
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    That is a terrible and tragic story, such things shouldn't happen in this day and age, and if it's true [this is the
    internet] then I am very sorry that it happened to you. Particularly, in that it seems to have caused you to become
    a fervent believer in a religion that has you fearing an imaginary apocalypse [among other harms] and that this is an o ...[text shortened]... nd deny all possibility that it could be some kind of hallucination/other delusion/illusion/etc?
    I wonder if this deity does any human things like sliding down a snowbank for the hell of it, maybe roller skating, looking through a telescope, go square dancing, watch a movie.

You think this deity has done any of those things?
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Nov '15 19:293 edits
    Just because a reason makes no sense to you, doesn't mean it's not a valid reason. It could be that you're just not equipped to make sense of that reason. Do you think puppies understand that your key ring that you jingle in front of them is used by you to operate your motor vehicle? No, they have no concept. Similarly, you have no concept nor understan ...[text shortened]... een the truth, and if anyone wants to try to tell me it's not real, then they can go pound sand.
    OMG, I never dreamed you had undergone anything like that tragedy. I only wish I could have been around as soon as that abuse started and finish it off early. It looks like you came out stronger than ever though. The timing was exquisite though. How did your dad figure out where you were? I would never have stopped looking for you.
    That is a heart rending story, and your getting religion at that stage in your life I can well understand.

Did you succumb to the 'stockhausen syndrome'?

Oh my dear girl, I hope you have fully recovered. Has enough time gone by for you to feel you have recovered?

It is indicative you at least partially recovered since you went to college after that at around the age of 20 or 21 or so. That would be a good sign of recovery.

You have fonds of power you didn't even know you possessed. Good for you.

Don't know if you ever heard of Barbara Broccoli, she and her father OWNS the James Bond franchise.

But she does documentaries. I just heard on NPR on my XM radio going to work, about a new documentary and I wish I could remember the name, there were two she talked about, one called Radiant, about an elderly couple in Brooklyn and the other about a woman who made it her life passion to council sexually abused girls, one class she had where ever girl in the class, from 14 to 18 yo had been abused.
    If you want, I can suss it out by emailing NPR about it.

My heart goes out to you.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Nov '15 19:44
    Can we have fun in a war zone?

Sure. It reminds me of that scene in apocalpse now where they were surfing while being shelled.
  6. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    30 Nov '15 20:281 edit
    A man gets on a bus, and ends up sitting next to a very attractive nun. Enamored with her, he asks if he can have sex with her. Naturally, she says no, and gets off the bus. The man goes to the bus driver and asks him if he knows of a way for him to have sex with the nun.

"Well," says the bus driver, "every night at 8 o'clock, she goes to the cemetery to pray. If you dress up as God, I'm sure you could convince her to have sex with you."

The man decides to try it, and dresses up in his best God costume. At eight, he sees the nun and appears before her.

"Oh, God!" she exclaims. "Take me with you!" The man tells the nun that she must first have sex with him to prove her loyalty. The nun says yes, but tells him she prefers anal sex. Before you know it, they're getting down to it, having nasty, grunty, loud sex. After it's over, the man pulls off his God disguise.

"Ha, ha! I'm the man from the bus!"

"Ha, ha!" says the nun, removing her costume. "I'm the bus driver.
  7. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    30 Nov '15 22:481 edit
    Originally posted by Captain Strange
    A man gets on a bus, and ends up sitting next to a very attractive nun. Enamored with her, he asks if he can have sex with her. Naturally, she says no, and gets off the bus. The man goes to the bus driver and asks him if he knows of a way for him to have sex with the nun.

"Well," says the bus driver, "every night at 8 o'clock, she goes to the cem ...[text shortened]... 'm the man from the bus!"

"Ha, ha!" says the nun, removing her costume. "I'm the bus driver.
    Profound Cap.
    Thanks for caring about Suzi.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Dec '15 00:00
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    OMG, I never dreamed you had undergone anything like that tragedy. I only wish I could have been around as soon as that abuse started and finish it off early. It looks like you came out stronger than ever though. The timing was exquisite though. How did your dad figure out where you were? I would never have stopped looking for you.
    That is a heart rending ...[text shortened]... abused.

You are only sorry that she overcame evil by becoming a believer in Christ. You consider this some kind of mental disorder.
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    01 Dec '15 05:55
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    You are only sorry that she overcame evil by becoming a believer in Christ. You consider this some kind of mental disorder.
    That's pretty poor taste even by your standards.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Dec '15 09:37
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    That's pretty poor taste even by your standards.
    What are my standards, if you know so much?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Dec '15 11:33
    Just because a reason makes no sense to you, doesn't mean it's not a valid reason. It could be that you're just not equipped to make sense of that reason.
    The idea that a "creator" would create entities (we humans) and then equip some of them with what it takes to be "saved" and become immortal and then not equip others to make sense of this equipment supposedly given to the others ~ and even torture the latter group in burning agony for eternity (as many Christians believe... several of them here in this community) as a wrathful revenge 'for not having the equipment', as it were, is a morally incoherent 'narrative'.

It is also a baffling notion of a purportedly supernatural revelation ~ indeed it sounds entirely man made and rather depraved.

Do you think your God figure has "equipped" me to think for myself in this way?
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Dec '15 13:39
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    We do not need to dream up reasons that this is not proof... many many fully documented ways in which this could be imagined/hallucinated...

...it should not be proof for you either.

...reams upon reams of evidence that people can delude themselves and suffer hallucinations... you have ignored or rejected all that evidence either completely or some ...[text shortened]... experience was really true and deny all possibility that it could be some kind of hallucination?
    And I think it's just plain sick that since you've painted yourself into a corner with your dreams that your fondest wish of there being no God are really true that you now have no other choice but to claim that people are delusional so that you can be all cozy and comfy with your opinion that you're right, and they're wrong.

Furthermore, you and people like you, like twhitehead has admitted numerous times, you are so against the mere idea of God that you blame the people who claim this faith as being somehow dangerous and here now you're claiming that not only are they dangerous, but delusional.

Racists hate people solely because they belong to a certain race of humans. Sexists hate people solely because they are a certain gender. There are people I don't even have a word for, who hate people based on their nationality.

And now here are people in this very forum who hate people not just based on their religion, but on the fact that they have any faith in a higher power at all. Hate so tactile that they claim these people to be dangerous and delusional.

Well, thanks. I'm so glad that you and others prefer to think of us not only as third-class citizens, but ones that deserve watching. You'd make us social pariahs who can't be trusted. All because we happen to have the ultimate bad taste to believe in something that you don't. This is intolerance. This is prejudice. This is inhuman. This is a sick and demeaning bias against someone who is not like you, just because they are not like you.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Dec '15 13:44
    Originally posted by FMF
    The idea that a "creator" would create entities (we humans) and then equip some of them with what it takes to be "saved" and become immortal and then not equip others to make sense of this equipment supposedly given to the others ~ and even torture the latter group in burning agony for eternity (as many Christians believe... several of them here in this communit ...[text shortened]... er depraved.

Do you think your God figure has "equipped" me to think for myself in this way?
    No. I think you've put your blinders on all by yourself.

God didn't blind you to him, he didn't deafen you to him, he didn't block your ability to believe in him. You did that all by yourself.

Oh, and thanks for calling me a "depraved liar". You're such a peach yourself, you know.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Dec '15 15:21
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    That is a heart rending ...[text shortened]... abused.

I appreciate your concern, but I don't want people to think I brought that up here to get everyone to say "Poor Suzi." Yes, it was horrific in nearly every sense of the word, and yes it took me years to get over it, and I'm not completely sure sometimes that I'm over it even now. And please understand there's a lot I left out. A lot. I did want to address your questions, though.

My dad always said that he was guided to where I was. Now, understand that I'm not sure of a lot that happened in my dad's life. Way back in my youth, I remember him in uniform, so I'm sure he was in the armed forces, I think it was Navy. And piecing together stuff I heard him talk to my mom about makes me think he was career military, even though I only remember him wearing a uniform for a short while when I was very young. If I had to guess, I'd say he was in some really covert unit where people didn't talk about their job or what they did. He was away from home a lot when I was young, and less and less as I got older. There were people in uniform and people in suits coming by the house all the time. He never talked about his work, or what he did, and he always said that it was better if I didn't know. The other men he was with when he found me all looked like military types (muscular, buzz cuts and pretty hunky) and they all called him sir. I just don't know how he found me, but when I asked him about it, he said he was guided by "a gut feeling" He had gotten this group together and they drove around that part of town for a while and the more he drove, the more and more he felt that I was nearby. He said he even drove past that house but then when he got to the end of the street, he came right back and parked about a house down and watched that house for a little while before doing anything. He said he had no proof I was there, but he felt compelled to walk up to the front door and knock just to see if he could suss it out, but he said that as he walked up the driveway, he finally "just knew" for sure and called the others out and rushed the door and they broke it down. I saw it all, as I was sitting in the front room at the time, me, my BF (who wasn't my boyfriend by this point), and another guy who my BF was buying some drugs from. I was only there, instead of in my room, where I spent most of my time, because I was expected to be 'nice' to this guy as partial payment for the drugs (my BF was one of these guys who got off just 'watching' ). When they busted in, that guy ran out the back and my dad signaled to one of the guys to let him go. My dad just started wailing on my BF with a baseball bat and I had to stop him before he killed him.

I was only home a few hours before my dad took me to a rehab clinic and I spent a month there getting clean. After that I saw a psychiatrist three times a week for about six months, and then a psychologist for another year. After about four months with a tutor, I took my GED test and then started college that fall. I turned 20 like three months after school started, so I was only 2 years behind.

I'm guessing you mean "Stockholm syndrome"? No, that was not an issue. Kevin was my BF before this happened. I was so in love with him, and we had decided that I would quit high school and we would run off together and elope and start our lives together. My parents didn't like him one bit, probably because he was 25 and I was 16. (Yeah...) Well, we did that, and things were totally awesome for a while (but we never did actually get married). This was the man I lost my virginity to, so yeah, I was serious about it.

I'm trying to give the Reader's Digest version here, but things were great until one night when he had one of his poker parties with a few of his buddies over. He was drinking a lot and was down a lot of money, several thousand. This was money he didn't have. When the guy he owed found out, he went berserk. Long story short, he told Kevin he would take me as payment instead and there was a fight, but he beat Kevin bad and ended up tying him to a chair (yeah I think you can see where this is going). He was tied up in that chair all night and forced to watch as this guy repeatedly raped me. This was when something changed in Kevin and he wasn't the same person after that. He locked me in another room in the house and that was when my captivity started,

Sometimes I feel like I've fully recovered, but sometimes it doesn't. I had PTSD for a long time after. My recovery came about mainly through going to college (after a couple years of treatment) and getting involved there and for the last several years I've been training in karate and even took some handgun training, so I feel like I can look out for myself pretty well, and that confidence has really helped me most.

If you figure out the name of this NPR documentary shoot me a PM and let me know.
  15. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    01 Dec '15 16:12
    And I think it's just plain sick that since you've painted yourself into a corner with your dreams that your fondest wish of there being no God are really true that you now have no other choice but to claim that people are delusional so that you can be all cozy and comfy with your opinion that you're right, and they're wrong.

Furthermore, you and people ...[text shortened]... ning bias against someone who is not like you, [b]just because
    they are not like you.[/b]
    No, I do not hate you. I certainly don't hate you [or anyone else] because you [they] are religious.

I do hate religions, including yours, but that is entirely not the same thing.

I explained it once with an analogy to smoking.

I cannot stand the acrid smell of cigarettes and smoking. It makes me choke and gag.
    I hate what that smoke does to people, and the corporations who make money off of
    the poor people who they made addicted to their poisonous product.
    I have friends who smoke, and I hate the fact that they smoke. I hate seeing them know
    that it's bad for them and not be able to stop, because they are addicted.
    Even as they try to keep the smoke and smell away from other people I care because of
    the harm it's doing them.

I hate smoking. I hate the companies and individuals that promote smoking.

I don't [necessarily] hate the smoker.

I do not hate you because you are religious, I hate the religion, and the fact that you are religious.
    And I do so mainly because of the harms that your religion inflicts on you.

You admit yourself to be afraid of an apocalypse that is never going to happen.
    You fear a hell, and of others you care for going to that hell, that does not exist.
    You fear the wroth of a non-existent god.
    And your ability to understand and accept reality has been destroyed by the requirement
    for belief by blind faith imposed upon you by your religion.

Blind faith is inherently dangerous, because their is no link back to reality that grounds it.

My beliefs [and those of any good skeptic] are ideally based on observable reality.
    I ideally only believe things that are and have been demonstrated to be true.
    Being human, there are inevitably some things I believe that don't meet this standard.
    However, because my commitment is to the standard, and not the beliefs.
    If and when I discover/have pointed out, facts that contradict a belief that I hold [perhaps with a struggle]
    what goes is that belief.
    As much as I hate the idea of your god [or gods in general], if I were presented with evidence sufficient
    to justify my believing in your god I would cease to believe that your god does not exist and instead
    believe that it did. Because my commitment is to believe stuff that is true, and not stuff that merely makes
    me feel good. There are many things I believe to be true that I wish were not true, and many things I
    wish were true but aren't.

You don't have that commitment.
    Blind faith can be used as a justification [and has been used as a justification] for believing in anything.
    If blind faith is an acceptable method of forming beliefs then there is literally no valid argument against
    those who [for example] shoot up Planned Parenthood, or Paris.
    Because if blind faith is ok then they can simply say that they have faith that a god exists that wants
    them to do these things and that they will be rewarded in heaven for committing these crimes.
    And all you can say in response is that you have faith in a different god and that your god says that
    this is wrong. You likewise cannot form a valid argument against people like RJHinds who believe that
    the world is [something like] 6000 years old and that any and all evidence to the contrary is just the
    devil planting false evidence [or scientists lying etc etc]. His position is unassailable if faith based
    beliefs are a valid form of belief formation.

The vast majority of people with faith based beliefs are not personally that dangerous, because they
    are generally nice people trying to do the right thing and their own morality causes them to pick
    their faith based beliefs to be vaguely nice. But by holding on to the idea that faith based beliefs are
    valid, they legitimise the idea. And that legitimacy helps protect those whose beliefs are not so
    warm and cuddly.

Your personal experience [as described] was a very powerful experience that no doubt seemed completely
    real. I can understand why people who have such experiences believe them to be real.

However, what you saw qualifies as an extraordinary claim. People being visited by angels is not a
    normal everyday occurrence. [something even you should accept as true]
    And extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. In Bayesian terms the evidence has to be
    strong enough to overcome the very low prior probability.
    Eyewitness accounts are not extraordinary evidence. We are ALL to easily deceived, even without the immense
    stress you describe in your tale. Again I/we have provided mountains of evidence for this that you ignore
    because it would threaten your world view. To which I say 'if your world view id threatened by evidence then
    there is something wrong with your world view, and it's not worth keeping'.

This is neither sick, nor intolerant, nor prejudice, nor inhuman.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree