1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Dec '23 23:40
    "Every molecule in the universe is held together by Him, every charge on an electron is governed by Him."

~ an assertion made on another thread.

If [1] "Him" or "God" is a metaphor for the coherence of the processes that underpin the universe's mechanisms, and...

[2] what we know about the nature of the universe is also what we know about the nature of "God", then...

[3] what is the conceptual justification for ~ or benefit of ~ anthropomorphizing "the laws of nature" in the way that most popular and successful religions do? And...

[4] doesn't the fact that humans do this constitute an insight into the human condition rather than an insight into the nature of the universe?
  2. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    15 Dec '23 01:51
    @fmf said
    "Every molecule in the universe is held together by Him, every charge on an electron is governed by Him."

~ an assertion made on another thread.

If [1] "Him" or "God" is a metaphor for the coherence of the processes that underpin the universe's mechanisms, and...

[2] what we know about the nature of the universe is also what we know about the nature of "God", then... ...[text shortened]... nstitute an insight into the human condition rather than an insight into the nature of the universe?
    At the risk of oversimplifying, you might want to consider the fact that God is not a metaphor.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Dec '23 02:10
    @mchill said
    At the risk of oversimplifying, you might want to consider the fact that God is not a metaphor.
    You have misunderstood the word "if" and its significance in this OP.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Dec '23 02:191 edit
    @mchill
    Why should non-believers entertain the assertion that the coherence of the processes that underpin the universe's mechanisms [arguably the only witnessable phenomena that describe the nature of a possible creator entity] need to be anthropomorphized, as they are in the bronze age ancient Hebrew narrative? Why is it seen as being compelling, or self-evidently true, to do this?
  5. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    15 Dec '23 02:341 edit
    @fmf said
    @mchill
    Why should non-believers entertain the assertion that the coherence of the processes that underpin the universe's mechanisms [arguably the only witnessable phenomena that describe the nature of a possible creator entity] need to be anthropomorphized, as they are in the bronze age ancient Hebrew narrative? Why is it seen as being compelling, or self-evidently true, to do this?
    Non-believers are free to entertain whatever assertion they want, and I would suggest that a Christians faith is compelling or self-evident only to them, even though it may not be to others. The bottom line is, I'm not here to force my beliefs on others, but rather to simply express my opinion.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Dec '23 03:571 edit
    @mchill said
    Non-believers are free to entertain whatever assertion they want, and I would suggest that a Christians faith is compelling or self-evident only to them, even though it may not be to others. The bottom line is, I'm not here to force my beliefs on others, but rather to simply express my opinion.
    The bottom line is, I'm not here to force my beliefs on others, but rather to simply express my opinion.

I wasn't asking you or anyone to "force" me to do snything. But I WAS asking if you'd like to discuss this thread topic.
  7. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    16 Dec '23 00:13
    @fmf said
    The bottom line is, I'm not here to force my beliefs on others, but rather to simply express my opinion.

I wasn't asking you or anyone to "force" me to do snything. But I WAS asking if you'd like to discuss this thread topic.
    But I WAS asking if you'd like to discuss this thread topic.

That's a fair question. The answer is, I did discuss a small piece of this topic. I guess the rest of it doesn't interest me. It's been a long workweek, and maybe I'll get to the rest of it later.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Dec '23 00:35
    @mchill said
    That's a fair question. The answer is, I did discuss a small piece of this topic. I guess the rest of it doesn't interest me. It's been a long workweek, and maybe I'll get to the rest of it later.
    I guess the rest of it doesn't interest me.

I have an uncanny knack for raising topics that don't interest you and yet seem to make you post something or other anyway.
  9. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    16 Dec '23 00:531 edit
    @fmf said
    I guess the rest of it doesn't interest me.

I have an uncanny knack for raising topics that don't interest you and yet seem to make you post something or other anyway.

There is a possible explanation for this. I noticed you spend a lot of time and energy composing questions and discussing items on these forums, and not so much of either on chess. I tend to be the opposite, dropping in for an occasional comment, while spending much more time on chess competition (on a different site) I suppose it's all a matter of taste. 🙂
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Dec '23 01:051 edit
    @mchill said
    There is a possible explanation for this. I noticed you spend a lot of time and energy composing questions and discussing items on these forums, and not so much of either on chess. I tend to be the opposite, dropping in for an occasional comment, while spending much more time on chess competition (on a different site) I suppose it's all a matter of taste. 🙂
    There is a possible explanation for this. I noticed you spend a lot of time and energy composing questions and discussing items on these forums, and not so much of either on chess.

The explanation needed, surely, is why there are so many topics that don't interest you and yet you seem compelled to post anyway, often in order to "contribute" a declaration that you are not interested enough to contribute anything.
  11. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    16 Dec '23 02:46
    @fmf said
    There is a possible explanation for this. I noticed you spend a lot of time and energy composing questions and discussing items on these forums, and not so much of either on chess.

The explanation needed, surely, is why there are so many topics that don't interest you and yet you seem compelled to post anyway, often in order to "contribute" a declaration that you are not interested enough to contribute anything.
    yet you seem compelled to post anyway, often in order to "contribute" a declaration that you are not interested enough to contribute anything.

What can I say. The world is an imperfect place! 😳
  12. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Dec '23 09:35
    @mchill said

What can I say. The world is an imperfect place! 😳
    Why did a perfect God create an imperfect world?
  13. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    16 Dec '23 13:21
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    The answer to that question can be found in the book of Genesis dukey boy. Read and learn.
  14. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Dec '23 13:34
    @mchill said
    The answer to that question can be found in the book of Genesis dukey boy. Read and learn.
    Yes, yes, original sin and all that. I'm asking about imperfections with creation that are outside of man's control. Are we responsible for earthquakes?
  15. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    16 Dec '23 17:04
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    To show us his perfection? A perfect being can create either. It's the imperfect being who cannot create perfection.

And since nature is ever changing, some take it that nature cannot be their god/gods, it stands to reason. After all, no matter the story or whence it came, we all know that man is not perfect.....if he was he would live forever, in perfect harmony.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree