1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    01 Mar '24 10:502 edits
    YouTube

A discussion on God and science, with a little gravity thrown in.
    The Nature of Explanation
    Agency and Science
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    01 Mar '24 13:17
    You posted someone who's a mathematician, not a scientist.
  3. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    01 Mar '24 13:24
    @vivify said
    A Bachelor of Science (BS) degree is also given for a math major.
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    01 Mar '24 13:281 edit
    @pettytalk said
    A Bachelor of Science (BS) degree is also given for a math major.
    A BS degree simply denotes proficiency in various topics that don't necessarily include science. You can also get a BS for art. Doesn't make you a scientist.
  5. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    01 Mar '24 13:32
    @kellyjay said
    https://youtu.be/Lyt9ECm8V9g

Agency and Science
    You could have made a better argument presentation by presenting the one linked here, and have an amateur discussion by the 'experts' frequenting this forum.

YouTube
  6. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    01 Mar '24 13:47
    @vivify said
    A BS degree simply denotes proficiency in various topics that don't necessarily include science. You can also get a BS for art. Doesn't make you a scientist.
    Really? Learning mathematics is a foundation needed for reasoning. Take it from there.

For this thread on God and science it will be difficult to have relative discussions without the mathematics iron in the fire too.

Many scientific fields cannot be separated from mathematics itself. We need to hear from the mathematicians too, especially from a scientist who is also a mathematician. Better still, a mathematician scientist who is also trained in theology.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Mar '24 14:002 edits
    @kellyjay said
    https://youtu.be/Lyt9ECm8V9g

Agency and Science
    Nice succinct video which I fully agree with.

And it seems to be good for theists to compartmentalise the overlap of causality and effect, but of no use whatsoever to atheists, or for convincing atheists scientists that, essentially, “God did it”.

On the gravity point which you highlighted @KellyJay; do you accept the Newton’s scientific explanation of where gravity comes from?
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Mar '24 14:03
    @pettytalk said
    You could have made a better argument presentation by presenting the one linked here, and have an amateur discussion by the 'experts' frequenting this forum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMdtRXVKgRo
    This is 26mins.

Can you give a synopsis of why the video you offer makes a better argument and what of what specific topic is is making better argument of?
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Mar '24 14:10
    @vivify said
    What is your point?
  10. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    01 Mar '24 14:39
    @divegeester said
    This is 26mins.

Can you give a synopsis of why the video you offer makes a better argument and what of what specific topic is is making better argument of?
    I can, but for a price if it's for you.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Mar '24 14:40
    @pettytalk said
    I can
    I don’t think you can tbh.
  12. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    01 Mar '24 14:56
    The ancient's 4 building blocks of physical nature: Earth, Water, Air, and Fire.

Coincidentally, the modern's 4 forces of physical nature: Gravity, Electromagnetism, the Strong Nuclear force, and the Weak Nuclear force.

Science can describe and predict the behavior of these forces, but the origins of these forces themselves are not fully understood.
  13. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    01 Mar '24 15:05
    @divegeester said
    I don’t think you can tbh.
    Then why did you ask me in the first place? Besides, I don't think you would understand even if I could, for a price.

Here is a tip for you. If you really want to know, go to UM and search deep and wide. You may find the synopsis there. If memory serves me right, I may have introduced some episodes of Closer To Truth.
  14. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    01 Mar '24 16:181 edit
    @pettytalk said
    For this thread on God and science it will be difficult to have relative discussions without the mathematics iron in the fire too.

Many scientific fields cannot be separated from mathematics itself. We need to hear from the mathematicians too, especially from a scientist who is also a mathematician. Better still, a mathematician scientist who is also trained in theology.
    Same with engineering and space exploration. One is not possible without the other. Doesn't make engineering a science.

Math is intrinsic to science like engineering is but still isn't a science.
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    01 Mar '24 16:21
    @vivify said
    You talk about evolution and dismiss abiogenesis are you a Chemist or a Biologist? As a Mathematician when he runs the numbers his conclusions I submit are closer to being spot on than yours. I would also like to point out MORE TIME you concern yourself with the person not the topic, starting to be a trend with you!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree