1. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 17:02
    Originally posted by leunammi
    A piece of papyrus has been found and authenticated through Harvard with a statement by Jesus stating "my wife".

Have you considered that the wife of Jesus... his bride... is the church? Why do we always want to diminish who Jesus is and make him like us instead of the other way around? Food for thought.
    Jesus was a human man, and His story would be more realistic to me if He were married...to a woman.

Interesting that you think His story would be 'diminished' if His wife was in fact a woman and not the church.

I don't feel that way.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 17:12
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Link?
    Evidence?
    Corroboration?
    Peer review?
    I use my phone 100 percent of the time now on this site, and don't know how to 'link' with it.

But, if you spend 30 seconds on a google search of 'gospel of Jesus' wife', you will see it.

I saw the story on a PBS documentary.
  3. Joined
    28 Aug '16
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 17:17
    Originally posted by chaney3
    Jesus was a human man, and His story would be more realistic to me if He were married...to a woman.

Interesting that you think His story would be 'diminished' if His wife was in fact a woman and not the church.

I don't feel that way.
    I don't think his story is diminished because of a woman, I am suggesting there are those that would take away from who Jesus was/is with such stories and add something to where there is nothing. The church is Jesus' wife/bride, for whom he loves beyond any human understanding.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 17:24
    I don't think his story is diminished because of a woman, I am suggesting there are those that would take away from who Jesus was/is with such stories and add something to where there is nothing. The church is Jesus' wife/bride, for whom he loves beyond any human understanding.
    The word used was 'wife'. Not bride.

Trying to interpret the text to fit a biased opinion doesn't fit here.

Wife....meaning woman. Not bride, meaning church.
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 17:27
    The church is the BODY OF CHRIST.
    The bride of Christ is the New Jerusalem.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 17:30
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    The church is the BODY OF CHRIST.
    The bride of Christ is the New Jerusalem.
    Wife.....not bride.
    Wife, a woman.
    Stop twisting the text to 'fit' your opinion.
    'Bride' is not mentioned.
  7. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 17:48
    A piece of papyrus has been found and authenticated through Harvard with a statement by Jesus stating "my wife". It has been called the gospel of Jesus' wife.

This does not appear in the Bible, as so many ancient texts don't, but it seems to indicate that Jesus was married and likely engaged in marital intercourse.

To me, it helps the story of Jesus, b ...[text shortened]... matter to your personal faith if Jesus was married, as this ancient artifact seems to indicate?
    That's interesting. One thing to note is that there were copious Gospels floating around. These include the Gospel of Judas, the Gospel of Mary Magdalene, and the Gospel of Thomas. They seem to me to represent factions in the early Jewish Church. The ones I've named are quite different to the Canonical Gospels and make claims about the eponymous disciple being closer to Jesus than the other disciples, the Gospel of Thomas is Gnostic. I wonder if the content, rather than just the one line about a wife, is more or less similar to the Canonical Gospels than the ones I've mentioned.
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 17:58
    Wife.....not bride.
    Wife, a woman.
    Stop twisting the text to 'fit' your opinion.
    'Bride' is not mentioned.
    Wife or Bride = New Jerusalem = The Holy City

.. Come hither, I will shew thee the bride, the Lamb's wife. And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God, (Revelation 21:9-10 KJV)
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 18:01
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    That's interesting. One thing to note is that there were copious Gospels floating around. These include the Gospel of Judas, the Gospel of Mary Magdalene, and the Gospel of Thomas. They seem to me to represent factions in the early Jewish Church. The ones I've named are quite different to the Canonical Gospels and make claims about the eponymous disc ...[text shortened]... ine about a wife, is more or less similar to the Canonical Gospels than the ones I've mentioned.
    It's now difficult to say.
    When the Bible that we now know was put together at the Council of Nicea, it was ordered that all other texts (not approved), to be destroyed.

This is why ancient people buried scrolls, to save them from destruction. But other documents, such as this 'gospel of Jesus' wife', were partially destroyed. However, Harvard University has deemed this writing as authentic, and it's likely Jesus was married to a woman......not the church....a woman.

The more I learn how biased the 'council' was, regarding the books that were allowed in the Bible, and more importantly, the ones that were not allowed, it seems much of the 'real truth' has been hidden....purposely!
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 18:041 edit
    Wife or Bride = New Jerusalem = The Holy City

.. Come hither, I will shew thee [b]the bride, the Lamb's wife.
    And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God, (Revelation 21:9-10 KJV)[/b]
    Why is it such a problem for you to see that it's possible that Jesus had a woman as His wife?
    Why are you trying to defend Him?
    He was a human man.
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 18:13
    Why is it such a problem for you to see that it's possible that Jesus had a woman as His wife?
    Why are you trying to defend Him?
    He was a human man.
    I dont know if Jesus had a wife and neither do I care if he did. So Im not defending anything. Im showing you that wife can also = bride.

Why you care about that is also a mystery .. dont care for you to respond to that.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 18:19
    I dont know if Jesus had a wife and neither do I care if he did. So Im not defending anything. Im showing you that wife can also = bride.

Why you care about that is also a mystery .. dont care for you to respond to that.
    The word 'wife' was carefully examined from this text. It means wife....not bride. A woman wife.

By the way, since I don't know how to 'link', as mentioned above, I would suggest that readers do a google search on 'gospel of Jesus' wife', and read the information.

This is not something I merely made up, it is a genuine artifact.
  13. Joined
    28 Aug '16
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 18:48
    The word used was 'wife'. Not bride.

Trying to interpret the text to fit a biased opinion doesn't fit here.

Wife....meaning woman. Not bride, meaning church.
    No bias at all. You must understand from where the text originated and translate from there, that would be the Greek no doubt. I know I have used the phrase my wife, my bride, my girl to me the same thing and interchangeably. What you are trying to push forward I think is nothing more than splitting hairs. If you care to, check out this Greek Interlinear and do a little research of the new testament in different places to see what Greek word appears for bride and/or wife, you will find they are the same.

http://scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/Greek_Index.htm

Ciao
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 18:55
    No bias at all. You must understand from where the text originated and translate from there, that would be the Greek no doubt. I know I have used the phrase my wife, my bride, my girl to me the same thing and interchangeably. What you are trying to push forward I think is nothing more than splitting hairs. If you care to, check out this Greek Interlinea ...[text shortened]... l find they are the same.

http://scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/Greek_Index.htm

Ciao
    I did not interpret the text. Harvard University did.

Can we be clear on the fact that I am 'reporting' a story, and that it did not originate from me.

The word is wife. A woman.
  15. Joined
    28 Aug '16
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 19:001 edit
    I did not interpret the text. Harvard University did.

Can we be clear on the fact that I am 'reporting' a story, and that it did not originate from me.

The word is wife. A woman.
    We can be clear in that we don't see the terms wife and/or bride in the same way, in light of your insistence. We can also be clear that neither of us is likely to influence the others view on this matter.

What is it that you are looking for?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree