1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    11 Jan '24 10:391 edit
    Matthew 22:37
    And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.

James 4:8
    Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.

Matthew 9:4
    But Jesus, knowing their thoughts, said, “Why do you think evil in your hearts?

I heard a talk the other day about how scripture deals with hearts and minds. The thrust of the talk was that we can accept things in our thinking, but those things may not necessarily sway us to act accordingly, while those things we believe in our hearts we deem true and will act due to those things, they are as real to us as can be. This makes our hearts where our worldview resides in all we deem to be true, no matter what may be bouncing around in our minds. Thoughts?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Jan '24 12:161 edit
    @kellyjay said
    Thoughts?
    The cognitive functions you are attributing to the heart do not happen in the heart. All cognitive functions take place in the mind.

Pretending otherwise might suit your ideology, but that doesn't mean it gets us closer to objective truths about the human condition.
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    11 Jan '24 13:18
    @kellyjay said
    And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.
    How does someone show that they love God / Christ?
    They keep the commandments, chief of which is to love your neighbor.

He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him. Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world? Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him. He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.
    (John 14:21-24 KJV)
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Jan '24 14:10
    @kellyjay said

James 4:8
    Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.

Matthew 9:4
    But Jesus, knowing their thoughts, said, “Why do you think evil in your hearts?

I he ...[text shortened]... ew resides in all we deem to be true, no matter what may be bouncing around in our minds. Thoughts?
    In these passages you have quoted, “hands” “hearts” and “minds” are methaphors kellyjay. We do not think with the pound of beating flesh which pumps the blood through our veins and arteries, we think in our brains.

What they symbolise imo:
    - hands = deeds
    - hearts = motivations/drivers
    - minds = cognitive expanse
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    11 Jan '24 15:441 edit
    @rajk999 said
    How does someone show that they love God / Christ?
    They keep the commandments, chief of which is to love your neighbor.

He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him. Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wil ...[text shortened]... s: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.
    (John 14:21-24 KJV)
    I suggest you take it up with the speaker of those words and the context that they were spoken in.

You could also start your own conversation about what you want to say.
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    11 Jan '24 17:04
    @kellyjay said
    I suggest you take it up with the speaker of those words and the context that they were spoken in.

You could also start your own conversation about what you want to say.
    Did I ask you a question?
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    11 Jan '24 17:481 edit
    @rajk999 said
    Did I ask you a question?
    Did you post in a thread about a topic and change the subject to something unrelated?
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    11 Jan '24 19:56
    @kellyjay said
    Did you post in a thread about a topic and change the subject to something unrelated?
    Not really. You did not post what Jesus said about how one can 'love God with all their heart'. You posted some church nonsense again, ignoring Jesus completely.

You posted this nonsense .... those things we believe in our hearts we deem true and will act due to those things, they are as real to us as can be. This makes our hearts where our worldview resides in all we deem to be true, no matter what may be bouncing around in our minds.

That gibberish has nothing to do with You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart .

Jesus said what loving God is all about keeping the commandments

He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him. (John 14:21 KJV)
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    11 Jan '24 21:08
    @rajk999 said
    Not really. You did not post what Jesus said about how one can 'love God with all their heart'. You posted some church nonsense again, ignoring Jesus completely.

You posted this nonsense .... those things we believe in our hearts we deem true and will act due to those things, they are as real to us as can be. This makes our hearts where our worldview resides in all ...[text shortened]... loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him. (John 14:21 KJV)
    I started a thread on hearts and minds, you can read the title if you want. Every thing I said was related to hearts and minds and you went someplace else and you still have not said anything about the topic. You know you can start your own threads and talk about what ever you want. Just saying!

You again are pushing something about the church I go to without knowing what one I attend. I can tell you even this topic didn’t spring up from any church related event or fellowship of any kind.

You are being deceitful again saying things you know nothing about. The lake of fire 🔥 will have liars in it.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 Jan '24 21:43
    @fmf said
    The cognitive functions you are attributing to the heart do not happen in the heart. All cognitive functions take place in the mind.

Pretending otherwise might suit your ideology, but that doesn't mean it gets us closer to objective truths about the human condition.
    Reacting to the gist of what he's saying would be far more interesting than this pedantic banter.
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    11 Jan '24 21:44
    @kellyjay said
    I started a thread on hearts and minds, you can read the title if you want. Every thing I said was related to hearts and minds and you went someplace else and you still have not said anything about the topic. You know you can start your own threads and talk about what ever you want. Just saying!

You again are pushing something about the church I go to without knowing wh ...[text shortened]... eing deceitful again saying things you know nothing about. The lake of fire 🔥 will have liars in it.
    What you posted about hearts and minds is not what Jesus or the bible said about hearts and minds. Jesus said to love God with all your heart etc, and Jesus explained it. You ignored Jesus's explanation and made your own.

Clearly you are establishing your own righteousness and not abiding by the righteousness of Christ.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Jan '24 23:59
    @suzianne said
    Reacting to the gist of what he's saying would be far more interesting than this pedantic banter.
    It's not pedantic at all. The bogus separation of cognitive functions and the attribution of some of them to a different organ in the body is a rhetorical gimmick and, if some spurious ideological musings are then founded on it, the whole exercise is rendered disingenuous. This is not an example of pedantry.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '24 00:101 edit
    My idea about social justice originates in my brain, so you can take it or leave it. By contrast, my idea about the rich paying more in taxes originates in my kidneys and the one about loan forgiveness originates in my pancreas so that makes those ideas special and different from the one about social injustice.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '24 01:02
    Stating something false about where certain cognitive functions occur, obscures the nature of faith rather than elucidates it. Just keeping it real, that's all,
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 Jan '24 02:01
    @fmf said
    It's not pedantic at all. The bogus separation of cognitive functions and the attribution of some of them to a different organ in the body is a rhetorical gimmick and, if some spurious ideological musings are then founded on it, the whole exercise is rendered disingenuous. This is not an example of pedantry.
    Do you understand what a colloquialism is?

Americans do, Brits seem not to. Pedantic gits to the end.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree