1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Nov '14 19:291 edit
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    what age do you draw the line?
    So the default position is that she was a child?
    And the burden to not assume this is of course mine to prove?

Where does it say Mary was a child?
  2. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Nov '14 19:37
    Originally posted by sonship
    So the default position is that she was a child?
    And the burden to not assume this is of course mine to prove?

Where does it say Mary was a child?
    im not asking you to prove anything. im asking you what age you think would be the youngest and still morally acceptable for mary to be impregnated?
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    21 Nov '14 19:48

Human Race: @karol-aczel; @sonship; @FMF; @josephw; @twhitehead; @Rank-outsider;
    @stellspalfie; @Grampy-Bobby; @Russ; The Queen of England; President Barack Obama.

"I hope there is a god..." ~wolfgang59

If in fact you were God, what would be the attributes of your character; and would your divine integrity respect human volition and manifest itself in a plan from eternity past to reconcile the entire depraved "Human Race" unto yourself?
  4. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Nov '14 19:52
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]God: @wolfgang59

Human Race: @karol-aczel; @sonship; @FMF; @josephw; @twhitehead; @Rank-outsider;
    @stellspalfie; @Grampy-Bobby; @Russ; The Queen of England; President Barack Obama.

"I hope there is a god..." ~wolfgang59

If in fact you were God, what would be the at ...[text shortened]... itself in a plan from eternity past to reconcile the entire depraved "Human Race" unto yourself?[/b]
    the entire human race is not depraved. to think otherwise is just silly.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Nov '14 19:591 edit
    im not asking you to prove anything. im asking you what age you think would be the youngest and still morally acceptable for mary to be impregnated?
    I think for the subject of Mary's age all I want to affirm at the moment is that according to the Jewish tradition of that time she was a young woman.

Launching on a discussion of various cultures about the line between childhood and adulthood is not something I am prepared to discuss on some universal grounds.

In our American culture 18 is a young adult. Under 18 is a minor.

Suffice it to say legally, Mary was a young woman.
    I honestly do not know the physical age of the woman.

I could go research that. But I'm not into that this afternoon.
  6. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Nov '14 20:061 edit
    I think for the subject of Mary's age all I want to affirm at the moment is that according to the Jewish tradition of that time she was a young woman.

Launching on a discussion of various cultures about the line between childhood and adulthood is not something I am prepared to discuss on some universal grounds.

In our American culture 18 is a young a ...[text shortened]... physical age of the woman.

i asked you what you thought was a morally acceptable age....you dont seem to have answered that question. why?
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    21 Nov '14 21:27

In our American culture 18 is a young a ...[text shortened]... physical age of the woman.

Matthew 1:18 "Now the birth of Jesus Christ was as follows: when His mother Mary had been betrothed to Joseph, before they came together she was found to be with child by the Holy Spirit [in lieu of human sperm]. 19 And Joseph her husband, being a righteous man and not wanting to disgrace her, planned to send her away secretly.…" Mary was of marriageable age.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    21 Nov '14 21:28
    the entire human race is not depraved. to think otherwise is just silly.
    Examples?
  9. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    21 Nov '14 21:30
    Examples?
    My wife is pretty great. She's from Wisconsin, so she has a natural advantage. She insists we eat a lot of kale, which strikes me as depraved. Other than that, though...
  10. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Nov '14 22:03
    Examples?
    almost everybody i know (including me).
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    21 Nov '14 22:041 edit
    Originally posted by bbarr
    My wife is pretty great. She's from Wisconsin, so she has a natural advantage. She insists we eat a lot of kale, which strikes me as depraved. Other than that, though...
    In your case, bbarr and your "pretty great" ever loving kale consuming advantaged bride's, a proportional suum cuique....
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    21 Nov '14 22:35
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Only the theists get a request! 😠
    ..of course 🙂
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Nov '14 22:59
    i asked you what [b]you thought was a morally acceptable age....you dont seem to have answered that question. why?[/b]
    I don't know right now.

I think marriage for a young women in this country and culture should not be before 18. And that is pretty young.

I do not suspect womanhood is exactly biologically equivalent all around the world.

I think this should answer your question without me having to write a book here.

Bottom line, in the Bible Mary was not a child when she conceived and was betrothed to her future husband Joseph. I think the Scripture would have told us if it was atypical in any other regard, had it been so.

Sorry, just a normal young woman betrothed to a normal, probably young man. The Son of God was born to them.
  14. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    21 Nov '14 23:01

The figure I dimly remember them using in Church was 13 (possibly 14 this is from over 30 years ago). This is the age of consent in Japan (unless that's changed in the last few years). In Britain any kind of age of consent was only introduced in the 19th Century. I haven't looked at the discussion leading up to the post you're responding to but arguments like the one I suspect that you are responding to are a waste of time. The judgement about whether she was a woman or not at the time would probably be based around mensuration.
  15. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Nov '14 23:28
    I don't know right now.

I think marriage for a young women in this country and culture should not be before 18. And that is pretty young.

I do not suspect womanhood is exactly biologically equivalent all around the world.

I think this should answer your question without me having to write a book here.

Bottom line, in the Bible Mar ...[text shortened]... a normal young woman betrothed to a normal, probably young man. The Son of God was born to them.
    so you think its okay to follow the tradition of the local culture?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree