"If God didn't exist... "

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

L

Moves
10 Jul 13
2 edits

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
... beginning to wonder if you worship your own brain.
As it happens I don't worship anything. Anyway, there's really no rational accounting for your bizarre wonderings, as just about anyone could see from a quick perusal of your posting history.

Here, I'll dumb it down as much as I can for you. The idea that actions of faith can make no difference if it happens to be that this faith is predicated on a mistaken belief that God exists, is totally absurd. Again, considered actions are such that they matter and make a difference to agents; otherwise, what would be the point of doing them? To this extent it matters not that the motivations involved may be wrapped up with some false beliefs or misinformation. It would be absurd to claim that, say, the good deeds Christians do in faith make no difference just because a core Christian metaphysical belief happens to be false. Likewise it would be absurd to claim that, say, atrocities carried out in the name of some God make no difference just because the perpetrator is deluded in his theistic belief.

L

Moves
10 Jul 13

Morality and Spirituality are not synonymous.
You will appreciate neither as long as your circular reasoning
feeds on itself, causing it to become lifeless.
The only response that comes to my mind here is WTF are you talking about?

Cape Town

Moves
10 Jul 13

[b]The behavior of those whom we have responsibility for or care about may cause us concerns, which require degrees of intervention. Parental authority often trumps a child's volition prior to emancipation. This exception doesn't negate the principle of the primacy of self determination. Though you may extol the merits of e2-e4 to a son or daughter or frie ...[text shortened]... 1-f3 or a2-a3. Respect their selfhood. There's a time to open your pie hole and a time to zip it.
What if I care about a larger group than just my close family? What if I care about all human beings? What if I do not want to see them self destruct?

"hypocrite"?
Here you are chatting away whilst telling others to 'zip it'. That makes you a hypocrite. Must I use your tactic of pulling out a dictionary and quoting it in unnecessary volume?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
13 Jul 13

Originally posted by LemonJello
As it happens I don't worship anything. Anyway, there's really no rational accounting for your bizarre wonderings, as just about anyone could see from a quick perusal of your posting history.

Here, I'll dumb it down as much as I can for you. The idea that actions of faith can make no difference if it happens to be that this faith is predicated on a mis ...[text shortened]... f some God make no difference just because the perpetrator is deluded in his theistic belief.
"As it happens I don't worship anything."

... this status evolve or happen suddenly?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
13 Jul 13

The only response that comes to my mind here is WTF are you talking about?
LemonJello, please translate your acronym as there's no match in my present vocabulary. Thank you.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
13 Jul 13
1 edit

Originally posted by twhitehead
What if I care about a larger group than just my close family? What if I care about all human beings? What if I do not want to see them self destruct?

[b]"hypocrite"?

Here you are chatting away whilst telling others to 'zip it'. That makes you a hypocrite. Must I use your tactic of pulling out a dictionary and quoting it in unnecessary volume?[/b]
"Must I use your tactic of pulling out a dictionary and quoting it in unnecessary volume?" (twhitehead)

... neither own a dictionary nor search online for words. I listen and read.

Cape Town

Moves
13 Jul 13

"Must I use your tactic of pulling out a dictionary and quoting it in unnecessary volume?" (twhitehead)

... neither own a dictionary nor search online for words. I listen and read.
And you don't know what 'hypocrite' means? Or you're just playing dumb?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
18 Jul 13

"Morality and Spirituality are not synonymous.
feeds on itself, causing it to become lifeless."

"The only response that comes to my mind here is WTF are you talking about?" -LemonJello

"And you don't know what 'hypocrite' means? Or you're just playing dumb?"

.... little case of Irritable Bowel Syndrome?

Moves
18 Jul 13

LemonJello, please translate your acronym as there's no match in my present vocabulary. Thank you.
WTF = What The F***

e
Adepto 'er perfectu

Moves
20 Jul 13

"If God didn't exist, what possible difference would it make whether or not people put their faith in Him?" -JV

Comments?
if god didn't exist none of us would have any idea

ants, like us, should stick to doing what ants do best - marching along!

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
20 Jul 13

Originally posted by empovsun

if god didn't exist none of us would have any idea

ants, like us, should stick to doing what ants do best - marching along!
"If God didn't exist, what possible difference would it make whether
or not people put their faith in Him?" -JV

"if god didn't exist none of us would have any idea" -empovsun

... the point exactly. And if He does exist and people put their faith in Him
(as some do in this forum), why would their belief bother other people?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
20 Jul 13

Originally posted by googlefudge

WTF = What The F***
"Morality and Spirituality are not synonymous.
feeds on itself, causing it to become lifeless."

"The only response that comes to my mind here is WTF are you talking about?" -googlefudge

.... intercourse in the context of Morality and Spirituality?

Why don't you say, "WTI"?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
20 Jul 13

The idea that actions of faith can make no difference if it happens to be that this faith is predicated on a mistaken belief that God exists, is totally absurd.
Here is where your argument totally fails.

"That God exists" is a belief, yes, but it is not a "mistaken belief".

Note: I've taken the liberty of assuming that instead of "make no difference", you meant to say "make a difference". As written, it seems to say that you are a proponent of faith based on a belief in God.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
20 Jul 13

This is absolutely hysterical coming from you. Have you found a new gag writer?

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
20 Jul 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Suzianne
Here is where your argument totally fails.

"That God exists" is a belief, yes, but it is not a "mistaken belief".

Note: I've taken the liberty of assuming that instead of "make no difference", you meant to say "make a difference". As written, it seems to say that you are a proponent of faith based on a belief in God.
Oh dear lord. 😞