1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Sep '16 21:42
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I found it deeply disturbing that the recent 42nd chess Olympiad in Baku should feature what is essentially an Atheist anthem, John Lennon's, Imagine. Now I am not against atheists having anthems (or pointy ears), or singing, lighting candles or offering incense up to an effigy of Charles Darwin or even expressing their perspective but this appeared ...[text shortened]... at Grandmaster Wesley So thanks the Lord for his victories, a clear indication of divine favour.
    So are you saying that John Lennon, and specifically that song, should be anathema to Christians? If so, it sounds like typical Christian intolerance to me.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Sep '16 21:43
    He's mocking me!
    So?? You deserve to be mocked.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Sep '16 21:46
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    JoHn Lennon is preaching here an earthly paradise which can be created if mankind followed the teachings of Christ. But sadly not even Christians preach that.
    You truly can use ANYthing to bash Christians with, can't you?

Every single time you bash Christians, it is you pre-judging, which is nothing if not hypocritical.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Sep '16 04:16
    you want I go back to the songs release and ask myself the same question? 😕
    No, just about this one which you have specifically brought up as being "deeply disturbing" and only because it was used at a chess conference. As I said earlier, you seem to have your priorities mixed up.
  5. Joined
    10 Apr '12
    Moves
    23 Sep '16 06:571 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Of all the things we discussed in this forum over the years: marital rape, child sexual abuse by your religious cult leaders, religious bullying, dangerous anti-medical teachings and the like.... and it's a bloody pop song at a chess event that you choose to find as the only thing "deeply disturbing" of all these!
    I don't know why you keep confusing JWs with that other church that has paid multi-
    millions of $s for such crimes.
    We do not allow pedophiles or child abusers to hold appointed positions.
    If there is a history, individuals can only be accepted as a JW if they repent, that is, turn around competely from that course.
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    23 Sep '16 13:561 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    So?? You deserve to be mocked.
    I wouldn't restrict it to just mocking.
  7. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    23 Sep '16 14:112 edits
    All the protesters in Charlotte has nothing to do with religion. Also the 2 killings a day and the 3,000 victims in Chicago have nothing to do with religion. We have a sin problem.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Sep '16 15:28
    Originally posted by roigam
    I never said you did.

Read up mate.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    24 Sep '16 21:18
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    All the protesters in Charlotte has nothing to do with religion. Also the 2 killings a day and the 3,000 victims in Chicago have nothing to do with religion. We have a sin problem.
    Do you think killing unarmed black people is a sin?
  10. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    25 Sep '16 00:221 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Do you think killing unarmed black people is a sin?
    Yes, and that also has nothing to do with religion. Your righteousness is like a filthy rag. Doing good deeds to show off is a sin.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Sep '16 02:38
    I don't know why you keep confusing JWs with that other church that has paid multi-
    If there is a history, individuals can only be accepted as a JW if they repent, that is, turn around competely from that course.
    Sexual abuse of children is a very serious crime ~ arguably one of the most serious crimes there is. Does your organization inform law enforcement authorities about any perpetrators it knows about among its membership?
  12. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    25 Sep '16 23:43
    I think this song portrays pure communism but of course the reason John kept saying imagine is because it's not reality and never will be 🙂

Manny
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Sep '16 06:28
    You should read the threads in this forum on JWs and child sex abuse. In fact you should read anything other than the propaganda your church feeds you. Open your eyes.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Sep '16 06:29
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    Are you "deeply disturbed" that the song Imagine by John Lennon was used as a theme at a chess convention?
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Sep '16 08:01
    Originally posted by menace71
    I think this song portrays pure communism but of course the reason John kept saying imagine is because it's not reality and never will be 🙂

Manny
    An interesting perspective, but he certainly wanted it to become like that. Lennon was quite class conscious I think, his song working class hero being indicative of that consciousness.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree