Incomes relative to Religions in USA.

Incomes relative to Religions in USA.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
05 Sep 12
2 edits

Originally posted by FMF
BUMP for robbie.

If, as you claim, a person can be wealthy and yet not be the least bit materialistic, and then apply this to the 9% of Jehovah's Witnesses who earn over $100,000 a year, why can't it also be applied, for example, to the 13% of Evangelicals or the 16% of Mormons or the 19% of Catholics etc. etc. who also earn over $100,000 a year?
Who has stated that it cannot also apply, my point is that Jehovahs witnesses are
actively counselled, through their publications to lead a simple life, free from the
pursuit of wealth for its own sake, to be content with sustenance, can this be said of
these other denominations that you mention? Indeed, all one has to do with your
assertions is ask for proof and they are generally bereft.

rc

Moves
05 Sep 12

Originally posted by KellyJay
That number of people is quite small, not everyone who is wealthy got there just
because someone else worked hard! You wanted to know why I thought there was
a huge gap I am saying work ethic.
Kelly
I simply dont believe it. Are you saying that so called, black Americans are lazier than
everyone else, that Jehovahs witnesses are lazier than Catholics?

Moves
05 Sep 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
...personal attacks and threads on masturbation are typical of you, to me, they hold no fascination, sorry.
Would you link me to re-post the link to the video clip of the JW person telling deaf people (in sign language) not to masturbate?

It is from a JW website orginally so you really should have no issue with it as you seem to be pretending to here.

rc

Moves
05 Sep 12
3 edits

Originally posted by divegeester
Would you link me to re-post the link to the video clip of the JW person telling deaf people (in sign language) not to masturbate?

It is from a JW website orginally so you really should have no issue with it as you seem to be pretending to here.
Again, your posts have no interest for me, if that sort of thing interests you then so be
it, I have far more interesting and absorbing things to think about than your apparent
fascination with a deaf congregation signing about masturbation. I repeat, your posts
hold little or no interest for me, i find them quite tedious to be honest, please dont
be offended. If you post something i find interesting, i may comment, other than that,
there is little more to say to you as we have absolutely nothing in common.

F

Moves
05 Sep 12

Who has stated that it cannot also apply, my point is that Jehovahs witnesses are
actively counselled, through their publications to lead a simple life, free from the
pursuit of wealth for its own sake, to be content with sustenance, can this be said of
these other denominations that you mention?
If this is so, are the 9% of people in your denomination who earn over $100,000 annually, more remote [or in danger of being more remote] from the ideal that less wealthy Jehovah's Witnesses perhaps personify in their efforts to lead a simple life and being free from the pursuit of wealth for its own sake?

rc

Moves
06 Sep 12
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
If this is so, are the 9% of people in your denomination who earn over $100,000 annually, more remote [or in danger of being more remote] from the ideal that less wealthy Jehovah's Witnesses perhaps personify in their efforts to lead a simple life and being free from the pursuit of wealth for its own sake?
yawn

F

Moves
06 Sep 12

yawn
I only asked the question again because you have dodged it more than once. You have already contradicted yourself a couple of times. I am curious to get an answer from you that adds up.

rc

Moves
06 Sep 12
5 edits

Originally posted by FMF
I only asked the question again because you have dodged it more than once. You have already contradicted yourself a couple of times. I am curious to get an answer from you that adds up.
where is your evidence that those other denominations are also actively counselled to
peruse a simple life and that despite being wealthy they are not materialistic, on what
basis are we to believe this premise, again, you have provided NO EVIDENCE. I can
provide evidence in the case of Jehovahs witnesses that this is the case, where is your
evidence? If they are not counselled then clearly there is a disparity which you are
unable to account for and until you do provide evidence your claims as usual have no
validity.

F

Moves
06 Sep 12

double yawn, your post holds no interest for me, its the usual drivel, either post
something with spiritual content or tell it to someone that may be interested. I have
answered the same question three or four times, you are simply being a tedious bore,
please don't be offended.
A discussion about materialism and religious beliefs IS one with "spiritual content", surely.

I find it hard to believe you are unaware of the contradiction at the heart of what you've been saying. You said that "One can be wealthy and not be the least materialistic, one can be poor and be materialistic, materialism is not dependent upon wealth or lack of". Your words, verbatim. But then you only seem to want to apply this pronouncemnet to Jehovah's Witnesses.

You assert that Jehovahs witnesses are the least materialistic of all denominations but refer to the OP stats which in turn refer to high salaries/wealth which you say do not necessarily correlate with materialism - indeed you said, specifically "materialism is not dependent upon wealth"; So why doesn't your "One can be wealthy and not be the least materialistic..." pronouncement apply also to the 13% of Evangelicals or the 16% of Mormons or the 19% of Catholics etc. who have the wealth indicated by the OP stats?

The 9% of Jehovah's Witnesses earning over $100,000 a year has nothing to do with them being materialistic or not, or so you seem to be saying. If
you mean this, then how can you claim that the stats in the OP indicate that Jehovahs witnesses are the least materialistic of all denominations?

F

Moves
06 Sep 12

where is your evidence that those other denominations are also actively counselled to
peruse a simple life and that despite being wealthy they are not materialistic, on what
basis are we to believe this premise, again, you have provided NO EVIDENCE. I can
provide evidence in the case of Jehovahs witnesses that this is the case, where is your ...[text shortened]... unable to account for and until you do provide evidence your claims as usual have no
validity.
Your "4 edits" changed the following words into the 'new post' quoted above:

double yawn, your post holds no interest for me, its the usual drivel, either post something with spiritual content or tell it to someone that may be interested. I have answered the same question three or four times, you are simply being a tedious bore, please don't be offended.

I have answered this post above as you will see, although I have ignored the personal remarks.

rc

Moves
06 Sep 12

Originally posted by FMF
A discussion about materialism and religious beliefs IS one with "spiritual content", surely.

I find it hard to believe you are unaware of the contradiction at the heart of what you've been saying. You said that "One can be wealthy and not be the least materialistic, one can be poor and be materialistic, materialism is not dependent upon wealth or lack of". Y ...[text shortened]... P indicate that Jehovahs witnesses are the least materialistic of all denominations?
the comparison is to other denominations, it should be easy for you to provide evidence that they are counselled against materialism, if you cannot then your inane claims of contradiction hold no sway for i can provide evidence in the case of Jehovahs witnesses, lets see you do the same for any other denomination that you mentioned.

rc

Moves
06 Sep 12

Originally posted by FMF
Your "4 edits" changed the following words into the 'new post' quoted above:

[b]double yawn, your post holds no interest for me, its the usual drivel, either post something with spiritual content or tell it to someone that may be interested. I have answered the same question three or four times, you are simply being a tedious bore, please don't be offended.[/ ...[text shortened]... ave answered this post above as you will see, although I have ignored the personal remarks.
your evidence please.

F

Moves
06 Sep 12

If they are not counselled then clearly there is a disparity which you are
unable to account for and until you do provide evidence your claims as usual have no validity.
Perhaps Jehovah's Witnesses as a group earn less because they enter higher education in far less numbers proportional to most other groups because they are, for all intents and purposes, counselled not to.

rc

Moves
06 Sep 12

Originally posted by FMF

I find it hard to believe you are unaware of the contradiction at the heart of what you've been saying. You said that "One can be wealthy and not be the least materialistic, one can be poor and be materialistic, materialism is not dependent upon wealth or lack of". Y ...[text shortened]... P indicate that Jehovahs witnesses are the least materialistic of all denominations?
how can you claim that the stats in the OP indicate that Jehovahs witnesses are the
least materialistic of all denominations?

because they are actively counselled to avoid materialism and this accounts for the
disparity, lets see you provide evidence for this in the case of other denominations.

rc

Moves
06 Sep 12

Originally posted by FMF
Perhaps Jehovah's Witnesses as a group earn less because they enter higher education in far less numbers proportional to most other groups because they are, for all intents and purposes, counselled not to.
your evidence please for the other denominations,