Pure gray area

Pure gray area

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
28 Oct 14

Originally posted by whodey
So what does everyone credit society turning against slavery?
Bog standard moral progress ~ nothing "supernatural" ~ you have been craven and mealy mouthed and equivocal about slavery throughout this thread. You had the chance to stand up and say something clear but you passed over and over again.

F

Moves
28 Oct 14

Cite where Paul champions it.
He tells slaves to treat their masters as if they were God/Jesus.

F

Moves
28 Oct 14

Paul wrote that if you were a slave, then you should be a "good" slave. This is hardly championing slavery.
Why didn't he just condemn slavery as abhorrent?

F

Moves
28 Oct 14

It's like the Roman occupation of the Holy Land. Sure they crucified people on crosses and murdered at will and threw Christians to the lions, but Jesus taught them to be "good" citizens and pay their taxes.
Appeasement then?

F

Moves
28 Oct 14

The focus is not fighting personal injustice, rather, it is focused on being a light in a very dark world in order for others to see it and want to be the same.
You mean just try to make slaves accept their lot in life?

F

Moves
28 Oct 14

Because if the South had won the Civil war, slavery would have continued until it was no longer a vital aspect of their economy and the moral positions of people would have sided with the law of the land, just like it already had.
So people opposing slavery as a moral atrocity is ~ in your mind ~ an example of people being "sheep"?

F

Moves
28 Oct 14

As far as slavery and the Bible, Moses was sent to free the slaves and even though they allowed slavery within the Hebrew culture, it was frowned upon, so much so that people were freed from it after so many years.
Was your God figure unable, unwilling, too weak, to declare it morally repugnant?

w

Moves
28 Oct 14

Originally posted by FMF
Was your God figure unable, unwilling, too weak, to declare it morally repugnant?
I compare it to the teaching Jesus gave on divorce. It's not ideal and was never meant to be, but because of the hardness of their hearts it was the best way to maintain peace.

We live in a fallen world. If we then kill everyone who sins, what would be left?

F

Moves
28 Oct 14

So I will ask again, do they view Mohammad doing such things as taking slaves and personally beheading infidels and taking a wife who was only 9 years old to be in error?
Well, if you and I are wrong, and Islam is the true revelation of God, then our misgivings about Mohammed are neither here or there, are they?

w

Moves
28 Oct 14

Originally posted by FMF
You mean just try to make slaves accept their lot in life?
I mean focusing on what matters, which is Jesus freeing our us personally.

It's like Paul being imprisoned. Inside, he still was a free man.

F

Moves
28 Oct 14

I compare it to the teaching Jesus gave on divorce. It's not ideal and was never meant to be, but because of the hardness of their hearts it was the best way to maintain peace.

We live in a fallen world. If we then kill everyone who sins, what would be left?
Slavery is morally repugnant. I can say this. You and Jesus are unable to do so. Why is that?

F

Moves
28 Oct 14

I mean focusing on what matters, which is Jesus freeing our us personally.

It's like Paul being imprisoned. Inside, he still was a free man.
So for you is slavery bad... or not?

F

Moves
28 Oct 14

Who is going to "kill everyone"?

w

Moves
28 Oct 14

Originally posted by FMF
Well, if you and I are wrong, and Islam is the true revelation of God, then our misgivings about Mohammed are neither here or there, are they?
I'm not asking what you or I think of Mohammad. Obviously, neither one of are impressed by him nor think he was sent by God.

My question is for those who do. How do they embrace a man who does such things, especially since they view him to be perfect?

Perhaps you could inquire with a Muslim you know.

F

Moves
28 Oct 14

It seems to me that the evangelic nature of the gospels had something to do with turning the tide against slavery.
The "evangelic nature of the gospels" kept people in slavery too. In 18thC and 19thC America was society "atheistic" ?