Pure gray area

Pure gray area

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
28 Oct 14

Originally posted by whodey
And I'm not interested in whether or not you are intetested in being interested in FMF's opinion of me.

I just love debating left wingers. You wind up with twice the headace of merely banging your head against a wall. 😵
I don't have a twitter account, so wolfie and FMF have no recourse but to follow me here at RHP. I'd rather be popular with the ladies but I suppose this is better than nothing.

F

Moves
28 Oct 14

Originally posted by lemon lime
I don't have a twitter account, so wolfie and FMF have no recourse but to follow me here at RHP. I'd rather be popular with the ladies but I suppose this is better than nothing.
Was it not you who initiated discussion with me on this thread?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
28 Oct 14

Originally posted by lemon lime
Follow you?!?!

Moves
28 Oct 14

Originally posted by wolfgang59
Follow you?!?!
That was revealing wasn't it.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
28 Oct 14

Wow, three whole followers! I'm on a roll!

w

Moves
28 Oct 14
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
The Hebrews took slaves. Christians took slaves. You showed no interest in the topic before. If you have any genuine interest, look at some of the links that were offered on that thread. Take up the theology of it with an Islamic theologian. How many Islamic countries can you cite as having legalized slavery? There has been moral progress throughout the world when it comes to slavery.
The Hebrews and Christians did lots of things, like build golden calves to worship, become involved in heretical teachings etc. Shrug, they were in error.

However, Jesus never took slaves and Jesus is who Christians look to in terms of behavior. In fact, he said that he had come to set the captives free and that sin was akin to slavery. Likewise, Muslims look to Mohammad and Mohammad took slaves. Both Jesus and Mohammad are looked upon as "infallible" in their respective religions.

So I will ask again, do they view Mohammad doing such things as taking slaves and personally beheading infidels and taking a wife who was only 9 years old to be in error?

As far as slavery and the Bible, Moses was sent to free the slaves and even though they allowed slavery within the Hebrew culture, it was frowned upon, so much so that people were freed from it after so many years.

And lastly, the Sabbath was revolutionary for it's time. Before the advent of the Sabbath, no one had any days off from work, including slaves.

You misread slavery in the Bible. Although it was not snuffed out entirely yet, it was an obvious repudiation of it.

w

Moves
28 Oct 14
2 edits

Originally posted by FMF
Of course. Don't be daft. No one disputes that it was more prevalent in the past. That is why mankind having turned its back on it is deemed to be moral progress. You did not need to splurge out a ludicrous 'fact' about the vast majority of humans that ever lived supposedly being slaves in order to make this simple uncontroversial claim about slavery in history. How does saying absurd things enhance your criticism of slavery?
Well then, we agree. Slavery was much more common than in modern times. It's just a matter of how prevalent it was in terms of numbers.

It seems to me that the evangelic nature of the gospels had something to do with turning the tide against slavery. Looking at history, that period seems to be a turning point.

Would you agree?

w

Moves
28 Oct 14
2 edits

Originally posted by FMF
Once again, how can you possibly cite mankind turning away from the practice of slavery as an example of people being "sheep"?
My point here is that our morality is based upon our perceived view of authority figures. It is simply how we are wired.

Our morality is shaped by such things as parents, teachers, preachers, state officials etc. Looking at laws in the past and the subsequent morality shift that correspond, it would seem that laws shape the morality of the populace.

Again, in the US when slavery was legal it was viewed as "OK", even though it was distasteful. Then when it became outlawed, the pendulum swung the other way. You would see this as mankind "evolving' past flawed morality, verses simply responding to laws put in place. However, take abortion as another example. Before it was made legal, it was viewed as immoral. However, after years of being legal it is now viewed as "OK" even though it is distasteful.

As we can see, the pendulum has swung the other way. People have adopted immoral behavior as being "OK" simply in response to laws made for them. So on the one hand, they have progressed in terms of views on slavery, but digressed in terms of views of treatment of the unborn.

Do you two cancel each other out in your view?

w

Moves
28 Oct 14

So what does everyone credit society turning against slavery? Is it science and reason, or is it something supernatural?

Personally, I grow weary of science. I was reading an article where an electronic device was being attached to the head of roaches. You could then use a remote control to dictate their every move. They were even selling them at one point for peoples amusement. Could this be our future?

With the technology available today, man can seemingly track every move we make, every word we utter. Is this freedom, especially in a world where being a "bigot" can potentially destroy your life, or is this "good" since bigotry is "bad"?

Another grey area perhaps?

F

Moves
28 Oct 14
1 edit

Well then, we agree. Slavery was much more common than in modern times. It's just a matter of how prevalent it was in terms of numbers.
This is 'bears poo in the woods' stuff. Is this all you have been saying all this time?

F

Moves
28 Oct 14
1 edit

My point here is that our morality is based upon our perceived view of authority figures. It is simply how we are wired.

Our morality is shaped by such things as parents, teachers, preachers, state officials etc. Looking at laws in the past and the subsequent morality shift that correspond, it would seem that laws shape the morality of the populace.

A ...[text shortened]... in terms of views of treatment of the unborn.

Do you two cancel each other out in your view?
So how was mankind turning its back on slavery an example of people being "sheep"?

F

Moves
28 Oct 14

It seems to me that the evangelic nature of the gospels had something to do with turning the tide against slavery. Looking at history, that period seems to be a turning point.

Would you agree?
Not really. The OT championed it. Paul championed it in the NT. Jesus said nothing much about it. Christians have a poor track record on slavery.

F

Moves
28 Oct 14

You misread slavery in the Bible. Although it was not snuffed out entirely yet, it was an obvious repudiation of it.
What else would you say? You're against slavery, right? But your Holy Book is miles behind you and me, mortally speaking. Your book is an embarrassment on this topic, much as Al Quran is.

w

Moves
28 Oct 14

Originally posted by FMF
So how was mankind turning its back on slavery an example of people being "sheep"?
Because if the South had won the Civil war, slavery would have continued until it was no longer a vital aspect of their economy and the moral positions of people would have sided with the law of the land, just like it already had.

w

Moves
28 Oct 14

Originally posted by FMF
Not really. The OT championed it. Paul championed it in the NT. Jesus said nothing much about it. Christians have a poor track record on slavery.
Cite where Paul champions it.

Paul wrote that if you were a slave, then you should be a "good" slave. This is hardly championing slavery.

It's like the Roman occupation of the Holy Land. Sure they crucified people on crosses and murdered at will and threw Christians to the lions, but Jesus taught them to be "good" citizens and pay their taxes.

The focus is not fighting personal injustice, rather, it is focused on being a light in a very dark world in order for others to see it and want to be the same.