1. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    12 Feb '24 18:12
    Literally or symbolically?

Revelation 13: And I stood upon the sand of the sea, and saw a beast rise up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns, and upon his horns ten crowns, and upon his heads the name of blasphemy.
  2. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    12 Feb '24 21:121 edit
    Symbolic

If you go to the book if Daniel where we first see the end of times approached we have the golden statue and world powers, then we go into the beasts which are world powers (hairy he-goat of Greece etc).

The beasts of revelation are probably the same with the two horned beast a subset of the seven headed beast.

It can’t be literal can it?

Note revelation 13:14, the great deception before the mark of the beast is unleashed at 13:16.

I’ll stop there.

What is your take - I like to hear other peoples opinions ?
  3. Joined
    21 Nov '08
    Moves
    13 Feb '24 05:41
    Hypothetical
  4. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    13 Feb '24 13:331 edit
    @pettytalk said

Revelation 13: And I stood upon the sand of the sea, and saw a beast rise up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns, and upon his horns ten crowns, and upon his heads the name of blasphemy.

No way to answer this. The book of Revelation was written by a man many centuries ago, trying to explain future events using his limited vocabulary and understanding of technology or of many things we know of today.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Feb '24 15:391 edit
    @mchill said

No way to answer this.
    You never seem to have much to say about anything mchill.

Perhaps you’ve gone through you entire adult an Christian life just accepting what you’re told and waving these “there’s no way to explain it” “no way to know” “we just have to accept it” responses when asked questions by enquiring minds in your church.
  6. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    14 Feb '24 16:16
    @mchill said

No way to answer this. The book of Revelation was written by a man many centuries ago, trying to explain future events using his limited vocabulary and understanding of technology or of many things we know of today.
    The whole Bible is said, and widely accepted that it was written by men many centuries ago. Theologians explain that the bible was written by men through inspiration, and is the word of God.

The passage was from Revelation, which begins like this: The revelation from Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show his servants what must soon take place. He made it known by sending his angel to his servant John, who testifies to everything he saw—that is, the word of God and the testimony of Jesus Christ. Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear it and take to heart what is written in it, because the time is near.

Are you saying the Bible is not God's inspired word? Are you denying God the ability to be omniscient? What a ludicrous assumption you have. Limiting God’s vocabulary and understanding of the future things He prophesies through His prophets and holy people is really more than foolish, especially coming from someone who claims to be a faithful believer and also claims to understand the Bible well enough to explain it to others.

Psalm 147:5: “Great is our Lord and abundant in strength; His understanding is infinite.”
    Psalm 139:4: “Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, You know it altogether.”
    1 John 3:20: “For whenever our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart, and He knows all things.”
  7. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    14 Feb '24 18:41
    Literally, or Symbolically?

NKJV Ezekiel 1:1-28 Ezekiel’s Vision of God.

Now it came to pass in the thirtieth year, in the fourth month, on the fifth day of the month, as I was among the captives by the River Chebar, that the heavens were opened and I saw visions of God. 2 On the fifth day of the month, which was in the fifth year of King Jehoiachin’s captivity, 3 the word of the Lord came expressly to Ezekiel the priest, the son of Buzi, in the land of the Chaldeans by the River Chebar; and the hand of the Lord was upon him there.

4 Then I looked, and behold, a whirlwind was coming out of the north, a great cloud with raging fire engulfing itself; and brightness was all around it and radiating out of its midst like the color of amber, out of the midst of the fire. 5 Also from within it came the likeness of four living creatures. And this was their appearance: they had the likeness of a man. 6 Each one had four faces, and each one had four wings. 7 Their legs were straight, and the soles of their feet were like the soles of calves’ feet. They sparkled like the color of burnished bronze. 8 The hands of a man were under their wings on their four sides; and each of the four had faces and wings. 9 Their wings touched one another. The creatures did not turn when they went, but each one went straight forward.

10 As for the likeness of their faces, each had the face of a man; each of the four had the face of a lion on the right side, each of the four had the face of an ox on the left side, and each of the four had the face of an eagle. 11 Thus were their faces. Their wings stretched upward; two wings of each one touched one another, and two covered their bodies. 12 And each one went straight forward; they went wherever the spirit wanted to go, and they did not turn when they went.

13 As for the likeness of the living creatures, their appearance was like burning coals of fire, like the appearance of torches going back and forth among the living creatures. The fire was bright, and out of the fire went lightning. 14 And the living creatures ran back and forth, in appearance like a flash of lightning..........>>>>>>
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Feb '24 00:26
    @pettytalk said

It’s very unlikely that you will draw out the biblical literalists with this OP.
  9. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    15 Feb '24 11:172 edits
    @pettytalk said
    The whole Bible is said, and widely accepted that it was written by men many centuries ago. Theologians explain that the bible was written by men through inspiration, and is the word of God.

The passage was from Revelation, which begins like this: The revelation from Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show his servants what must soon take place. He made it known by sen ...[text shortened]... 3:20: “For whenever our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart, and He knows all things.”
    Are you saying the Bible is not God's inspired word? Are you denying God the ability to be omniscient?

To answer your questions in order: 1. No and 2. No

Perhaps you've lost sight of the fact that some of the questions you've been asking about the book of Revelation have confused bible scholars for centuries - but you're expecting answers from an average guy like me. That doesn't make much sense.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Feb '24 12:54
    @mchill said
    Perhaps you've lost sight of the fact that some of the questions you've been asking about the book of Revelation have confused bible scholars for centuries - but you're expecting answers from an average guy like me. That doesn't make much sense.
    I think he just asking you if you think stuff in the Bible like Revelation is literal or not.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Feb '24 10:48
    @mchill said

So was Genesis.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Feb '24 10:50
    @mchill said
    Are you saying the Bible is not God's inspired word? Are you denying God the ability to be omniscient?

Plus, they've been asked before, by others with even less connection to the divine.
  13. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    23 Feb '24 11:34
    @pettytalk said

It's written Metaphorically; just the way the Apostle John received the vision from God.
    When I was attending a Christian university to earn my Biblical degree, we studied every book in the Bible but Revelations. They would not touch it with a 10 foot pole. I'm sure you can understand why. Either way I was disappointed. However, I understood why.
  14. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    23 Feb '24 17:10
    @kingdavid403 said
    It's written Metaphorically; just the way the Apostle John received the vision from God.
    When I was attending a Christian university to earn my Biblical degree, we studied every book in the Bible but Revelations. They would not touch it with a 10 foot pole. I'm sure you can understand why. Either way I was disappointed. However, I understood why.
    Actually, truly understanding Revelation is the key to understanding the Kingdom of God.

Since Jesus spoke so plainly, why would anyone need to obtain a Biblical degree at a Christian university? I would think that a degree in true Philosophy, with a languages minor, would suffice for those who have difficulties understanding Christ and Christianity.
  15. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    23 Feb '24 17:38
    @mchill said

Let me tell you from the perspective of an average guy about prophecy and why it has confused scholars for centuries. As the times approach ever closer, the visions begin to come into focus, depicting a sharper image... slowly, but surely.

"For false christs and false prophets will rise and show great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect."

I want you to focus on the ELITE. Unless the Elite are already on the ground, there is no way to properly comprehend Revelation. But when I say this, I'm having my own visions which may be self-deceiving. I like to contradict myself, if I can.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree