1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 09:46
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    I have personally come across dozens of Christians whose pastor told then the same thing. The poor people did not have a clue what speaking in tongues was about so they simply fabricated a pile of gibberish words and pretended they knew what they were saying. It was all a sham.

Paul says of speaking in tongues that the interpretation of these words is i ...[text shortened]... pens. Apparently its a bunch of gibberish going back and forth between pastor and congregation.
    Since when does what people say mean anything when the Bible addresses the topic?
    What does the scripture teach on the topic?

I would have thought you'd be quoting scripture not passing off what people say, since as
    you know they can be tricked from time to time not doing what God wants.
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 10:14
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Since when does what people say mean anything when the Bible addresses the topic?
    What does the scripture teach on the topic?

I would have thought you'd be quoting scripture not passing off what people say, since as
    you know they can be tricked from time to time not doing what God wants.
    You want a quote? Here it is:

For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries. But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort. He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church. I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying. Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine? (1Cor 14:2-6)

It is of no use to the congregation unless it is interpreted. Would you say that happens in the churches. Personally I have not heard of interpretations only of gibberish that nobody understands.
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 11:56
    You want a quote? Here it is:

[i]For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries. But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort. He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth e ...[text shortened]... rches. Personally I have not heard of interpretations only of gibberish that nobody understands.
    Yes, and you have a point?

So when someone is praying the Spirit He is not praying with his own understanding, but
    speaking to God mysteries. Yet it is better to speak with others so they understand so
    they can be edified, exhorted, and comforted.

So now those who are praying in unknown tongues edifieth themselves, which is not a
    bad thing when one is by themselves, unless of course there is someone there who has
    the gift to interpret, than that is on par with prophesies.

Simply because you avoid the Spirit of God does not mean He isn't active in His body.
    You think those verses suggest that tongues was a bad thing?
    There something in them that suggest that God does not behave today as He did when
    those verses were written? You have some reason to think the Holy Spirit is not active
    today?
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 12:19
    Yes, and you have a point?

So when someone is praying the Spirit He is not praying with his own understanding, but
    speaking to God mysteries. Yet it is better to speak with others so they understand so
    they can be edified, exhorted, and comforted.

So now those who are praying in unknown tongues edifieth themselves, which is not a
    bad thing when one ...[text shortened]...
    those verses were written? You have some reason to think the Holy Spirit is not active
    today?
    I avoid the Spirit of God?

More personal remarks about me, someone you know nothing of? Is that how how people carry on discussions?

What I do know is that there is a lot that does go in in many churches regarding this speaking in tongues and holy spirit gifts is a sham. Many pastors and congregation have confessed this publicly.
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 12:34

More personal remarks about me, someone you know nothing of? Is that how how people carry on discussions?

What I do know is that there is a lot that does go in in many churches regarding this speaking in tongues and holy spirit gifts is a sham. Many pastors and congregation have confessed this publicly.
    Have you never been around anyone Spirit filled? You accept that the Spirit of God will
    enter into us leading us, teaching us, showing us how to live?

Reading the things you write I can only assume you are very caught up in the natural
    world, where human effort passes as human righteousness before God in your eyes.

Again from what I have read of you, I'd say the Spiritual truths of scripture are not before
    your eyes as you attempt to justify yourself and others before God and man by the efforts
    of man's good works, I just believe you think good works sets yourself and others before
    God as righteous instead of the grace of God through Jesus' blood shed for us.

If it were Jesus and not you that you give glory to you would be showing grace to a lot
    people here you seem to despise by the way you talk to them.

I can only assume you are as a bad sinner as I am, and that we both need Jesus Christ.
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 12:36

Of course there are going to be people who attempt to look "spiritual" by pretending to be
    something they are not. That does not mean that there is a real spiritual gift and that God
    does exactly as He says in scripture.
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 12:44
    Have you never been around anyone Spirit filled? You accept that the Spirit of God will
    enter into us leading us, teaching us, showing us how to live?

Reading the things you write I can only assume you are very caught up in the natural
    world, where human effort passes as human righteousness before God in your eyes.

Again from what I have read of you ...[text shortened]... them.

I can only assume you are as a bad sinner as I am, and that we both need Jesus Christ.
    I will leave you with this statement from Christ which I know you do not believe applies to you because you are saved already:

Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. (Mat 25:41-43)
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 12:47
    I will leave you with this statement from Christ which I know you do not believe applies to you because you are saved already:

Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: I ...[text shortened]... naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. (Mat 25:41-43)
    Never have you ever heard me say that doing the works of God are not important, please
    don't lie to make yourself look good in your own eyes!
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 13:09
    Never have you ever heard me say that doing the works of God are not important, please
    don't lie to make yourself look good in your own eyes!
    I never said you said anything. Im quoting Christ. If from that passage you cannot glean that Christ is saying that IT IS ESSENTIAL, then you need lessons in English Comprehension.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 13:101 edit
    I am amazed at the ignorance of some here, who claim to be "spiritual."
    Speaking in tongues (SIT) was designed by God and has purpose.
    Those who don't understand it's purpose call it gibberish or a sham to their own hurt.
    Here are only 7 reasons why every believer should SIT. There are many more...

Reason Number One

The Word of God teaches that when we are filled with the Holy Ghost, we speak with other tongues as the Spirit of God gives utterance. Speaking in tongues is an initial evidence, or sign, of the baptism of the Holy Spirit: “And they were all FILLED WITH THE HOLY GHOST, and began to SPEAK WITH OTHER TONGUES, as the Spirit gave them utterance” (Acts 2:4).

Reason Number Two

Paul encouraged the Corinthian Christians to continue the practice of speaking with other tongues in their worship of God. He also encouraged them to speak in tongues in their individual prayer life as a means of spiritual edification, or building up. The Bible says, “He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself . . .” (1 Cor. 14:4).

Paul also stated in First Corinthians 14:14, “For if I pray in an unknown tongue, MY SPIRIT PRAYETH, but my understanding is unfruitful.” Notice he said, “My spirit prays.”

The Amplified Bible reads, “My spirit [by the Holy Spirit within me] prays . . . .” God is a Spirit. When you pray in tongues, your spirit is in direct contact with God, who is a Spirit. When you speak in tongues, you are talking to Him by divine, supernatural means.

Reason Number Three

A third reason people should speak with other tongues is that speaking with tongues keeps us continually aware of the Holy Spirit’s indwelling Presence. Not only is speaking with tongues the initial sign or evidence of the Holy Spirit’s infilling, but continuing to pray and to worship God in tongues helps us to be ever-con­scious of His indwelling Presence. And if you are conscious of the indwelling Presence of the Holy Ghost every day, that is bound to affect the way you think and live.

Reason Number Four

Speaking in tongues eliminates the possibility of selfishness entering our prayer life. For instance, if I pray a prayer out of my own mind and out of my own thinking, it may be unscriptural. It may be selfish.

Paul wrote to the Church at Rome, “We know not what we should pray for as we ought. . .” (Rom. 8:26). He didn’t say we didn’t know how to pray, because we are instructed to pray to the Father in the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ (John 16:23–24).

But just because I know how to pray doesn’t mean that I know what to pray for as I ought. So Paul said, “We know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself [Himself] maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered” (Rom. 8:26).

The Holy Ghost is not going to do our praying for us. He is sent to help us pray. Speak­ing with other tongues is praying as the Spirit gives utterance. It is Spirit-directed praying. And it eliminates the possibility of selfishness in our prayers.

Reason Number Five

A fifth reason believers should speak with tongues is that it helps them learn to trust God more fully. It builds one’s faith to speak in tongues. The Bible says, “Building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost” (Jude 20).

Speaking in tongues stimulates faith and helps us learn how to trust God more fully. For example, faith must be exercised to speak with tongues because the Holy Spirit supernaturally directs the words we speak. You see, we don’t know what the next word will be—we have to trust God for that. And trusting God in one area helps us learn to trust Him in another area.

Reason Number Six

A sixth reason every believer should speak in tongues is that it provides a way for you to pray about things that you wouldn’t think to pray about or aren’t even aware of. We already know that the Holy Spirit helps us pray for particular situations when we don’t know how to pray about those situations. In addition, the Holy Spirit, Who knows everything, can pray things through us for things about which our natural mind knows nothing.

Reason Number Seven

A seventh reason why every believer should speak with tongues is found in James 3:8. “But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison,” Yielding your tongue to the Holy Spirit to speak with other tongues is a big step toward being able to fully yield all of your members to God; for if you can yield your tongue, you can yield any member of your body to God.

Speaking in tongues is the initial evidence of the infilling of the Holy Spirit. God has given us this wonderful spiritual gift to bless us, edify us, and refresh us throughout our lives on this earth. Let’s receive what God has provided and enjoy the bene­fits of speaking in tongues!

If anyone thinks it is foolishness or gibberish, I say, take it up with God because He invented it!
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 13:18
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    I am amazed at the ignorance of some here, who claim to be "spiritual."
    Speaking in tongues (SIT) was designed by God and has purpose.
    Those who don't understand it's purpose call it gibberish or a sham to their own hurt.
    Here are only 7 reasons why every believer should SIT. There are many more...

[quote]

Reason Number One

The Word of God te ...[text shortened]... anyone thinks it is foolishness or gibberish, I say, take it up with God because He invented it!
    You are obviously ignoring something about tongues that Paul said, which I quoted. Do you have a comment on that?

As for calling it gibberish .. that is the confession of many who do it. THEY DONT HAVE A CLUE WHAT THEY ARE DOING. THEY SIMPLY BLABBER NONSENSE BECAUSE THE PASTOR, LIKE YOU, TELLS PEOPLE THEY HAVE TO DO IT OTHERWISE THEY DONT HAVE THE HOLY SPIRIT.
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 13:221 edit
    I never said you said anything. Im quoting Christ. If from that passage you cannot glean that Christ is saying that IT IS ESSENTIAL, then you need lessons in English Comprehension.
    Whatever, cheap shots.
    Again, never have I said I don't believe these things do not apply to me or I do not believe
    them.

"I know you do not believe applies to you..."
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 13:26
    You are obviously ignoring something about tongues that Paul said, which I quoted. Do you have a comment on that?

As for calling it gibberish .. that is the confession of many who do it. THEY DONT HAVE A CLUE WHAT THEY ARE DOING. THEY SIMPLY BLABBER NONSENSE BECAUSE THE PASTOR, LIKE YOU, TELLS PEOPLE THEY HAVE TO DO IT OTHERWISE THEY DONT HAVE THE HOLY SPIRIT.
    I commented on that scripture and you turned it into a personal shot instead of answering
    my points.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 17:05
    10 SHOCKING Facts About Speaking in Tongues!

YouTube

Satan's Top 10 Favourite Robert Tilton Insanely Crazy Moments

YouTube

Satan's Top 10 Favourite Creflo Dollar moments

YouTube
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 18:24

Indeed no amount of Biblical evidence can convince the truly deluded. If they want to listen to gibberish, let them, its no less than they deserve.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree