Speaking In Tongues

Speaking In Tongues

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
30 Jul 15
2 edits

Originally posted by checkbaiter
1 Cor 14:5
I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.
KJV

You seem to ignore the first part of this verse...
The following translation from the New International Version is worded better in today's English to make it easier to understand:
I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, but I would rather have you prophesy. The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues, unless someone interprets, so that the church may be edified.

(1 Corinthians 14:5 NIV)

What good does it do the body of Christ (the church), if they do not understand the speech or the prayer? This is what Jesus said....
“And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly."

(Matthew 6:5-6 NKJV)

So if you are going to speak or pray in tongues without interpretation, then do it in secret.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
30 Jul 15

Originally posted by RJHinds
[b]The following translation from the New International Version is worded better in today's English to make it easier to understand:
I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, but I would rather have you prophesy. The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues, unless someone interprets, so that the church m ...[text shortened]... you are going to speak or pray in tongues without interpretation, then do it in secret.
[/b]
I agree, if you are going to pray in tongues that is between you and God and should be
done in secret.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
30 Jul 15

1 Cor 14:5
I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.
KJV

You seem to ignore the first part of this verse...
Interesting that both RJH and KJ got the point about what I quoted from Paul and you still cannot get it. Paul said that words spoken in tongues must be interpreted. Is that the case in the churches ?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
30 Jul 15

Originally posted by Rajk999
Interesting that both RJH and KJ got the point about what I quoted from Paul and you still cannot get it. Paul said that words spoken in tongues must be interpreted. Is that the case in the churches ?
I get you only read the scriptures that agree with your point of view and ignored the rest.
It is you that missed why and what speaking in tongues actually is and why it should be
done. It was stated here using scripture more than once.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
30 Jul 15
5 edits

Originally posted by KellyJay
I get you only read the scriptures that agree with your point of view and ignored the rest.
It is you that missed why and what speaking in tongues actually is and why it should be
done. It was stated here using scripture more than once.
I dont think you are understanding. I did read what you said. My point is

- there are prophesies and there are false prophesies.
- there is faith and there is just a false claim of faith
- there is speaking in tongues and there is gibberish.

God knows which is false and which is true. We as humans can only speculate and Christ warned us to be careful. How should we be careful?

- By avoiding those who claim to be prophets and their claims turn out to be false.
- by calling out and identifying those who claim to have faith and their evil works deny their faith.
- by ignoring those who talk gibberish [proof is that they are not able to interpret what they say].

Like I said, I have not come across people who are able to interpret the tongues they speak so that others can understand. If you have then thats good for you. I certainly would not doubt that there are honest people with HS gifts that can and do speak in tongues... just that I dont know who they are.

What is going on in these churches is just more deception and falsity which they will no doubt pay dearly for. They basically force the congregation to pretend that they can speak in tongues by saying that proof that they have the Holy Spirit gifts is if they can do that..[. much like what Checkbaiter posted - SEVEN REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD SPEAK IN TONGUES] The liars and crooks in the congregation will pretend to speak something but its GIBBERISH .. they are only fooling themselves not God. And the equally crooked pastor will commend them and pretend to reply to them in MORE GIBBERISH, fooling some of the congregation [maybe like you and Checkbaiter], but they are not fooling God. I have seen many an honest Christian shake their head in disbelief that this is going on because many of them are friends and relatives of the gibberish speakers, and same gibberish speakers have a good laugh at home because they say that they fooling the pastor .. that the pastor is an idiot. Pathetic ... that is what is going on in the churches.

God is not a fool. Liars and pretenders who talk gibberish [rather than true tongues] will not enter into Gods Kingdom. False prophets will be cast into the lake of fire, along with those who have faith without works ... they are all dead.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
30 Jul 15

Paul said that SIT in the church, when gathered together, must be interpreted. Yes, but he still says to speak in tongues much. That would be in your personal prayer life. You don't seem to get that. You want to dismiss SIT altogether.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
30 Jul 15

Paul said that SIT in the church, when gathered together, must be interpreted. Yes, but he still says to speak in tongues much. That would be in your personal prayer life. You don't seem to get that. You want to dismiss SIT altogether.
Anyone with the reading ability of a 10 yr old can read my last post and see that I did not dismiss speaking in tongues. Just like I did not dismiss faith, neither prophesying. I dismissed the fake or false version of these.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
30 Jul 15

Anyone with the reading ability of a 10 yr old can read my last post and see that I did not dismiss speaking in tongues. Just like I did not dismiss faith, neither prophesying. I dismissed the fake or false version of these.
So would anyone.
Do you SIT? If not, why not?

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
30 Jul 15
2 edits

So would anyone.
Do you SIT? If not, why not?
Apparently you dont condemn the fake versions of these things.

Anyway, I do not answer personal questions on the internet pertaining to my religious practices. I discuss matters of doctrine only. Questions about how I practice my version of Christianity or about works etc are personal and between me and God .. so dont waste your time asking me again.

Did you notice that I never asked you if you personally speak in tongues? Did you? Do you know why I dont ask that? Becuase I have more respect for peoples privacy on the internet .. you appanretly dont.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
30 Jul 15

I dont think you are understanding. I did read what you said. My point is

- there are prophesies and there are false prophesies.
- there is faith and there is just a false claim of faith
- there is speaking in tongues and there is gibberish.

God knows which is false and which is true. We as humans can only speculate and Christ warned us to b ...[text shortened]... cast into the lake of fire, along with those who have faith without works ... they are all dead.
Okay, prophesies and false prophesies, I agree there are.
There is faith and there is false claims of faith, sure okay.
There is speaking in tongues and gibberish, get that agree completely.

Yep, God knows which is false and true, again agree.
Humans can only speculate, and Christ warns us to be careful, again completely agree.

How should we be careful?
Yes, if someone claims to be a prophet and they are not, avoid them and highlight the lie.

Calling out and identify those that claim to have faith and evil works deny their faith....
I guess we are done speculating here, because we know when someone is evil and not
being true to God. It isn't like anyone who has really given their lives over to God can
stumble, I guess if you really given your life over to God you'll never sin again so we can
spot the evil doers and that deny their faith! Personally, I'll let God work that out and not
me, if God's grace is on them it is on them, if God is working in them to complete the
WORK HE STARTED, who am I to condemn them?

By ignoring those who talk gibberish....hmm the Bible says that those that are really
speaking in tongues in 1 Corinthians 14:1-2 are those that are praying, and they are not
speaking to people but to God, no one will understand them, they utter mysteries by
the Spirit. I'm thinking this is another example of you denying the Spirit being active
today in the lives of believers while you put your faith in your own eyes, ears, and
the good works you have. So I can take your word for it, or scripture, I choose scripture.

14 Follow the way of love and eagerly desire gifts of the Spirit, especially prophecy. 2 For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to people but to God. Indeed, no one understands them; they utter mysteries by the Spirit.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
30 Jul 15

Originally posted by KellyJay
Okay, prophesies and false prophesies, I agree there are.
There is faith and there is false claims of faith, sure okay.
There is speaking in tongues and gibberish, get that agree completely.

Yep, God knows which is false and true, again agree.
Humans can only speculate, and Christ warns us to be careful, again completely agree.

How should we be car ...[text shortened]... speak to people but to God. Indeed, no one understands them; they utter mysteries by the Spirit.
Regarding the ones speaking in either tongues or gibberish. I dont really care which. As you say they are talking to God. Thats Gods business. What I did point is the claims such people make after, that the pastor is a moron because they fooled him. These are born again Christians who blabber nonsense and then make fun of it. Not interested in pursuing this further.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
30 Jul 15

Regarding the ones speaking in either tongues or gibberish. I dont really care which. As you say they are talking to God. Thats Gods business. What I did point is the claims such people make after, that the pastor is a moron because they fooled him. These are born again Christians who blabber nonsense and then make fun of it. Not interested in pursuing this further.
I guess a gift of God allowing the Spirit praying through you is below you?
That is a lot of contempt towards something God gives His church.
I'm not sure what you are talking about with a respect to claims by a pastor, but you do
seem to have a lot of claims against others.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
30 Jul 15

With this I do agree with you, there are those to fake it and belittle it, they speak against
the things of God, and not everyone who speaks is tongues is praying by the Spirit to
God. None of that means that God has a gift to the church He uses to do His will.

1 John 4:1
Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
30 Jul 15

You must be schizophrenic. Two completely opposite responses to the very same post..

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
30 Jul 15

You must be schizophrenic. Two completely opposite responses to the very same post..
No, two responses with one acknowledging God's gift is real, the other that people do fake
it.