1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Jan '17 17:033 edits
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    [b]The idea that God or Christianity encourages or approves of slavery is shown to be false

No it hasn't. Nowhere in the bible is the ownership of slaves by christians or indeed anybody else castigated. It's fine to own people, and indeed to beat them and to have sex with them without their consent. You're not allowed to steal a loaf of bread to stop your children dying of starvation though. Very reasonable stuff.[/b]
    No it hasn't. Nowhere in the bible is the ownership of slaves by christians or indeed anybody else castigated.

Why did the Apostle Paul remind Christians in First Timothy that kidnapping was against "healthy teaching":

" And know this, that the law is not enacted for a righteous man but for the lawless and unruly, for ... kidnappers ... and whatever other thing is opposed to healthy teaching, according to the gospel of the glory of the blessed God, with which I was entrusted." (See 1:9-10)

The content word "slavery" for most Americans automatically includes the action of kidnapping people. This Christian apostle describe kidnapping (and therefore forced enslavement) as lawless, unruly, and opposed to the healthy teaching of his Gospel.
  2. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    26 Jan '17 17:04
    Originally posted by sonship
    Sure I owned my kids until they were 18 years of age in this country.
    I still feel some ownership of them even now as they are adults.

The word "owners" can apply to person of person relationships without meaning slavery.
    As a basketball team made up of humans beings who are said to be owned.

It could be taken to a court of law.
    Husband and wife ...[text shortened]... s.

The idiot appears to be you in your asinine over simplification of a definite of slavery.
    You are quite simply wrong, but clearly you're not going to believe me. I can only suggest you go and read up on it.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Jan '17 17:06
    You are quite simply wrong, but clearly you're not going to believe me. I can only suggest you go and read up on it.
    Answer the question put to you above if you can.
  4. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    26 Jan '17 17:11
    No it hasn't. Nowhere in the bible is the ownership of slaves by christians or indeed anybody else castigated.

Why did the Apostle Paul remind Christians in [b]First Timothy
    that kidnapping was against "healthy teaching":

[quote] " And know this, that the law is not enacted for a righteous man but for the lawless and ...[text shortened]... efore forced enslavement) as lawless, unruly, and opposed to the healthy teaching of his Gospel.
    Kidnapping is usually involved as being a slave is generally not something a person would choose to do voluntarily, but it is not a part of the definition of slavery.

I repeat, nowhere in the bible is slavery (the ownership of one human being by another) stated to be wrong. Kidnapping is a method by which slaves are obtained, it is not a part of slavery per se.

You will find that it is illegal to own a human being regardless of the method by which you come into that state.
  5. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    26 Jan '17 18:21
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    So, in your new covenant you're cool with slaves trembling with fear before their masters?

Good to know.
    Did you just blank this part out?

"The Roman empire practiced involuntary slavery, so rules were established for Christians who were subject to this slavery or held slaves prior to becoming Christians. The rules established for slaves were similar to those established for other Christians with regard to being subject to governing authorities. Slaves were told to be obedient to their master and serve them sincerely, as if serving the Lord Himself.Paul instructed slaves to serve with honor, so that Christianity would not be looked down upon."
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    26 Jan '17 18:46
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    Did you just blank this part out?

"The Roman empire practiced involuntary slavery, so rules were established for Christians who were subject to this slavery or held slaves prior to becoming Christians. The rules established for slaves were similar to those established for other Christians with regard to being subject to governing authorities. Slaves ...[text shortened]... Paul instructed slaves to serve with honor, so that Christianity would not be looked down upon."
    It simply shows how gullible you are when it comes to copy and paste.

Sorry to report, but such a tactic doesn't cover up your lack of knowledge in this area. Attempting to 'water down' slavery to make the NT digestible is really lame.
  7. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    26 Jan '17 18:50
    It simply shows how gullible you are when it comes to copy and paste.

Sorry to report, but such a tactic doesn't cover up your lack of knowledge in this area. Attempting to 'water down' slavery to make the NT digestible is really lame.
    Well unless you can show me why the information I gave you is in error, I would have to assume the lack of knowledge exists on your part, no?
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    26 Jan '17 18:56
    Well unless you can show me why the information I gave you is in error, I would have to assume the lack of knowledge exists on your part, no?
    This is a forum, not a secondary school. It really isn't my job to educate you. (Though would direct you away from heavily bias websites when you go looking for an easy copy and paste).
  9. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    27 Jan '17 03:571 edit
    This is a forum, not a secondary school. It really isn't my job to educate you. (Though would direct you away from heavily bias websites when you go looking for an easy copy and paste).
    Oh yes I take it your views are entirely objective and lack bias? Would you prefer I find my information from a pro atheist website that says the Bible condones slavery?
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    27 Jan '17 04:09
    Slavery is simply the ownership of one human being by another.

My kids were my slaves ?
    The owners of the Washington Redskins are owners of slaves ?
    You're a slave to your employer?

I'm telling you avalanchethecat, I think you are OD-ing on Playstation IV or X-Box One.
    PS for me. total OD. Me and my kid love kickin arse on COD. You got a problem with that? Is there something in the bible about computer games? Gimme a break
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    27 Jan '17 04:101 edit
    You don't own your children. The owners of the Washington Redskins don't own the players. My employer doesn't own me.

You, sir, appear to be an idiot.
    He's excusing slavery and calling you a xbox addict.
    More Christianity coming to the fore?
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    27 Jan '17 04:131 edit
    I bet you cant even buy a drink in the States
  13. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    27 Jan '17 04:18
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I bet you cant even buy a drink in the States
    Huh?
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    27 Jan '17 04:32
    Huh?
    I bet you aren't even 21.
    We got bets going on here ...
  15. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    27 Jan '17 04:53
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I bet you aren't even 21.
    We got bets going on here ...
    Lol

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree