1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Sep '16 12:271 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    What a packed life you have.
    That is one way to say it. It's the risk of living life more abundantly.
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    29 Sep '16 12:56
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I wish there were more buns in my life.

😞
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Sep '16 20:21
    What "risk" are you referring to?
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Sep '16 04:141 edit
    It's the risk of living life more abundantly.
    Are you saying that your activities with the homeless which you describe in your post on the previous page, are actions emanating from the "more abundant life" that Jesus Christ is quoted as referring to in John 10:10?

"I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly."
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Sep '16 20:221 edit
    Are you saying that your activities with the homeless which you describe in your post on the previous page, are actions emanating from the "more abundant life" that Jesus Christ is quoted as referring to in John 10:10?

"I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly."
    Of course, but since you have said that altruism does not exist, I do not doubt that you disbelieve it.

Do you think John 10:10 is some sort of lie?
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Oct '16 07:523 edits
    Of course, but since you have said that altruism does not exist, I do not doubt that you disbelieve it.
    Let me be clear; I do not see obedience to Christ as altruism. Altruism, like morality, are in my opinion humanistic concepts which help us describe our own behaviours, motivations and right and wrong.

I do not view your claims on the previous page as altruism. You have proved this with your somewhat sanctimonious comment about these activities being you living the "more abundant life" which Christ promised.

You see, if what you were doing was altruism you would not feel the need to list it all in a slightly grotesque and unbelievable way, as proof of something which is important to you.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Oct '16 07:54
    Do you think John 10:10 is some sort of lie?
    Absolutely not. It is one of my favourite scriptures.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Oct '16 00:19
    Let me be clear; I do not see obedience to Christ as altruism. Altruism, like morality, are in my opinion humanistic concepts which help us describe our own behaviours, motivations and right and wrong.

I do not view your claims on the previous page as altruism. You have proved this with your somewhat sanctimonious comment about these activities being ...[text shortened]... l in a slightly grotesque and unbelievable way, as proof of something which is important to you.
    "Sanctimonious"?

Do you see life as being some sort of "zero sum" game?

That someone "making a difference" somehow takes away from your ability to do the same?

More people, not fewer (and especially Christians), should really take a look at what this "more abundant life" idea really means. It is a gift of the Holy Spirit, which also frees us to do the "good works" many associate with Christianity.

Pssssst, hint, it's a good thing, and something which should come standard with the Christian life, not something to excoriate people over, or demean as "sanctimony".

No wonder you don't believe in altruism.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Oct '16 00:211 edit
    Absolutely not. It is one of my favourite scriptures.
    But you also seem to think that it [John 10:10] is somehow theoretical and not in any way practical.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Oct '16 00:431 edit
    I can't count how many I've had to drag into my car and take them to the hospital. I've had to give some CPR. Some make it, some don't.
    Are you saying you've lost count of how many homeless people you have dragged into your car, or are you saying you have also lost count of how many people's lives you have saved by giving them CPR, and lost count of how many have died while you were giving them CPR? Or are you claiming to remember how many lives you have saved (and how many have died as you tended to them) and that all you have actually lost count of is just the number of homeless people you have dragged into your car?
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Oct '16 01:04
    Originally posted by FMF
    Are you saying you've lost count of how many homeless people you have dragged into your car, or are you saying you have also lost count of how many people's lives you have saved by giving them CPR, and lost count of how many have died while you were giving them CPR? Or are you claiming to remember how many lives you have saved (and how many have died as you tend ...[text shortened]... ave actually lost count of is just the number of homeless people you have dragged into your car?
    This post is a new low. At least she is making a difference.

What are you doing?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Oct '16 01:09
    Originally posted by chaney3
    What are you doing?
    I am asking her what it is exactly that she has lost count of.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Oct '16 02:46
    Originally posted by FMF
    I am asking her what it is exactly that she has lost count of.
    Normally called taking the piss, no?
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Oct '16 02:562 edits
    Normally called taking the piss, no?
    Taking the piss? No, not at all. Over such a serious claim that you're making? You saving lives - on the pavement or in your car ~ people dying in your hands? And it happening so often that you are not able to remember how many times it did happen? Absolutely not. You should just answer the question and clarify, as twhitehead suggested too
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Oct '16 15:37
    "Sanctimonious"?

Do you see life as being some sort of "zero sum" game?

That someone "making a difference" somehow takes away from your ability to do the same?

More people, not fewer (and especially Christians), should really take a look at what this "more abundant life" idea really means. It is a gift of the Holy Spirit, which also frees us to do ...[text shortened]... to excoriate people over, or demean as "sanctimony".

No wonder you don't believe in altruism.
    I just suspect that your post of the previous page was a *coughs* flowery embellishment of reality. You subsequently claiming that this is you living the "life more abundant" that Christ promised is making me wince.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree