The Spirit was not yet

The Spirit was not yet

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
21 May 16
1 edit

Originally posted by checkbaiter
I agree with you. The reason it is difficult for Jews to take Christianity seriously is for the very reasons you state.
God is clearly one and He does not change.
I credit the Jewish people for their devotion and for not being swayed by this man made theology.
I respect sonship for his studious ambitions, but my approach to the scriptures is based on the fundamentals. Such as God is one and he does not change. Also God is mercy, his mercy triumphs over judgment. (His own judgement...). God is love, God is good and God will do what is right (from genesis somewhere).

Hear oh Israel (that's us), the Lord your God is one.

🙂

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
21 May 16
1 edit

Once the fundamental truth that "God is one" is accepted, teachings such as the trinity have to be rejected. One God in multiple offices and revealed in multiple ways. Not three persons. ONE.

Jesus is the mystery of God in Christ, revealed. It's a mystery, don't turn it into an error.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
21 May 16

Originally posted by divegeester
I respect sonship for his studious ambitions, but my approach to the scriptures is based on the fundamentals. Such as God is one and he does not change. Also God is mercy, his mercy triumphs over judgment. (His own judgement...). God is love, God is good and God will do what is right (from genesis somewhere).

Hear oh Israel (that's us), the Lord your God is one.

🙂
I struggle with this. If God is unchanging and merciful, how do you account for the God in the OT who often acts without mercy?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
21 May 16

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
If God is unchanging and merciful, how do you account for the God in the OT who often acts without mercy?
I can't.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
21 May 16

I can't.
It's at that point I would opt out of the whole theist shebang. But I guess that's where faith comes in.

For me, if I can't account for something, I don't believe it.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
21 May 16

I struggle with this. If God is unchanging and merciful, how do you account for the God in the OT who often acts without mercy?
I can state with certainty [with support from the Bible] that Christ of the NT can and will also be considered unmerciful when the time comes for judgment. Many who call him Lord will be cast into outer darkness.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
21 May 16
2 edits

Originally posted by checkbaiter
I credit the Jewish people for their devotion and for not being swayed by this man made theology.

Do you credit the Pharisees and scribes for inciting the Jewish crowd to crucify the Son of God ? They also wanted to persecute Christ because being a man He made Himself God (John 10:33)

"We are not stoning You for a good work, but for blasphemy, and because You, being a man, are making Yourself God."

Do you credit the Jews there for wanting to stone Jesus for blasphemy and saying He was God ?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
21 May 16
1 edit

Once the fundamental truth that "God is one" is accepted, teachings such as the trinity have to be rejected. One God in multiple offices and revealed in multiple ways. Not three persons. ONE.

Jesus is the mystery of God in Christ, revealed. It's a mystery, don't turn it into an error.
The mystery of God in Christ should also not be turned into a mere dead doctrine.

Because you only want to argue about doctrine you have had no comment to speak of concerning the experiential passage of Romans 8:9-11.

The mystery of the Trinity is primarily for man's experience and enjoyment.
You want to make it a mere doctrine to reject.

As for me, I embrace the revelation - God is the Father - God is the Son - God is the Holy Spirit.

He's marvelous ! He's "Wonderful" (Isaiah 9:6) .

Hear Oh Israel, the Lord your God is one. Amen to that.
That doesn't mean though that the Lord your God is not "Wonderful" (Isaiah 9:6) .

I the Lord change not does not mean that the Lord is not "Wonderful" (Isaiah 9:6)

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
21 May 16

Originally posted by sonship

Do you credit the Pharisees and scribes for inciting the Jewish crowd to crucify the Son of God ? They also wanted to persecute Christ because being a man He made Himself God [b](John 10:33)

[quote] "We are not stoning You for a g ...[text shortened]...

Do you credit the Jews there for wanting to stone Jesus for blasphemy and saying He was God ?
The word "theos" God or god, does not have the definite article and should be translated “a god” or “divine.” Since the Jews would never believe a man could be "Yahweh", and since it was common in the Aramaic and Hebrew to call an important man “god,” they did not accuse him of being God, but a god.
You can also cite John 20:28 and you will get the same answer.
Thomas answered and said to him, “My Lord and my god.”

“my god.” Any good Greek-English lexicon will give examples of the Greek word theos, often translated “God,” also referring to a pagan “god” or “goddess” (Acts 19:37), the Devil or a demon (2 Cor. 4:4), or of people who represent God in some way (John 10:34). The fact that Thomas called Jesus “God” does not mean he thought Jesus was part of the Triune God, but he did think of him as God’s highest representative and worthy to be called “god.”
http://www.revisedenglishversion.com/John/20/28

But of course you will always side with the bias.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
21 May 16
1 edit

Psalm 110:1, is quoted two times in the New Testament in
association with the Lord Jesus Christ. The first time it is quoted it is in Matthew 22:41-45:
“While the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus asked them, 42 saying, “What do you think
about the Christ? Whose Son is He?” They said to Him, “The Son of David.” 43 He said to them,
“How then does David in the Spirit call Him ‘Lord,’ saying: 44
‘ The LORD said to my Lord,
“ Sit at My right hand,
Till I make Your enemies Your footstool”’?
If David then calls Him ‘Lord,’ how is He his Son?” 46 And no one was able to answer Him a
word, nor from that day on did anyone dare question Him anymore.”
The second time is in Acts 2:32-36, quoted by Peter.
“This Jesus God has raised up, of which we are all witnesses. 33 Therefore being exalted to the
right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, He
poured out this which you now see and hear. 34 “For David did not ascend into the heavens,
but he says himself:
‘ The LORD said to my Lord, Sit at My right hand,
35 Till I make Your enemies Your footstool.”’
36 “Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly that God has made this Jesus, whom
you crucified, both Lord and Christ.”
In the first instance, Jesus quotes the Psalm while questioning the Pharisees on how the Christ
could be both David’s son and his Lord. In the second instance, Peter quotes the Psalm to show
how God had promised to make Jesus both Lord and Christ. So, what does Psalm 110:1, state
and what does it mean about who Jesus is? Here’s the verse,
“The LORD said to my Lord, ‘Sit at My right hand, Till I make Your enemies Your footstool.’”
The first word translated “LORD” with all capital letters is the Hebrew word “Adonai” This word
“LORD” is usually a translation of the Hebrew “Yahweh” which is God’s personal name. But in
some manuscripts “Adonai”, a title, was substituted for “Yahweh” from fear of using God’s
name in vain. And “Adonai” is only ever used for the one true God in the Old Testament (about
450 times).
The second word translated “Lord” (with a capital “L” and then all small letters) is the Hebrew
word “Adoni”. Notice the difference? “Adonai” ends in “ai” and “Adoni” ends in “I”. The title
“Adoni” is used only for human beings who are superior to other human beings and never of
God/Yahweh (for example Gen. 44:7, Num. 32:25, 2 Kings 2:19). “The form ADONI (‘my lord), a
royal title (1 Sam. 29:8), is to be carefully distinguished from the title ADONAI (‘my LORD) used
of Yahweh.” (International Standard Bible Encyclopedia, “Lord,” p. 157).
The answer to Christ’s question to the Pharisees is that Jesus Christ is King David’s superior
because God has made him both “Lord and Christ.” This is what Peter said. But Jesus Christ is
not God. “Adonai” is God. He is the Father of “Adoni” the son of David, the Man, the Lord Jesus
Christ.
author unknown

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
21 May 16

Originally posted by Suzianne
Don't you?

What does "Triune" mean? The etymology of this word, "tri-", meaning three, and "une", meaning one, suggests that the adjective "triune" means "three in one", and most dictionaries explain that the concept is the same as the concept of the "Holy Trinity".

I'm not quite understanding what your beef with me is, on this point.
I don't have a beef with you Suzianne, and even if we were to end up disagreeing on this
point I am completely happy calling you a sister in Christ and will think of you no other way.

I don't see Triune and Trinity as the same just wanted your insight.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
22 May 16

It's at that point I would opt out of the whole theist shebang. But I guess that's where faith comes in.

For me, if I can't account for something, I don't believe it.
It's not where faith comes in for me, at all. In fact it's where faith goes out. I have major issues with many of the accounts in the OT.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
22 May 16

Originally posted by Rajk999
I can state with certainty [with support from the Bible] that Christ of the NT can and will also be considered unmerciful when the time comes for judgment.
If you can show that Jesus will be unmerciful, then you need to show it from scripture.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
22 May 16

If you can show that Jesus will be unmerciful, then you need to show it from scripture.
I think it is a common thread in the teachings of Jesus that he will have mercy on those who showed mercy. Let me know if you still need references.

In any case I said that Christ will be considered unmerciful .. a bit different from actually being unmerciful. Some examples of those who will consider Christ unmerciful are those who say 'Lord, Lord', and those like the foolish virgins and many others who end up weeping and gnashing their teeth,

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
22 May 16

He is the same God in the Old testament as the NT. This is an old question.
here is an excerpt from the book "Don't blame God".
The basic reason why God did not reveal the Devil to people in Old Testament times is that they were unprepared to deal with such a powerful spiritual being. They were not spiritually equipped to combat an invisible enemy with incredible supernatural ability who was committed to their destruction. Given that the vast majority of them had no spiritual weapons, the loving thing for God to do was to hide the Devil’s existence from them. To His credit, through the Old Testament God just “took the rap,” as it were, for evil by saying that if His people obeyed, He would bless them, and if they did not obey, He would afflict them. The latter is language that is explained in our book, Don’t Blame God! It is absolutely critical that Christians understand the Old Testament in light of the New Testament. God is love, and He will not do harm to His people.

http://www.truthortradition.com/articles/why-is-there-basically-no-mention-of-the-devil-in-the-old-testament