The Universe

The Universe

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Nov 14
2 edits

We simply don't know how big or how small the universe really is.

We can receive information from its outskirts in any direction only up to a point. And it is getting further away every second, the outermost observable boundary.

But it all belongs to a Man. Every inch of it belongs to a Man - a God-man Jesus.

" ... in the last of these days spoken to us in the Son, whom He appointed Heir of all things, through whom also He made the universe." (see Hebrews 1:2)

This man - Jesus, is the Heir of the whole thing. From microcosm to macrocosm, it is all His real estate.

One of the Voyager space crafts is now speeding beyond the last known planet of our solar system. It is traveling about a fast as we can get a rocket to go. To reach the nearest star system - Alpha Centauri will take it roughly another 75,000 years.

That's the nearest other system of two or three stars linked together with some possible planets involved.

Anyone who is really curious about the real estate of the Son of God would be well advised to receive with Him the gift of eternal life. Then we MAY find out if God has some spectacular use for all these places.

Could be.

Get saved. Join the "Christ Trek." Then will notice that there is only ONE place in all the universe - in Jesus Christ - in His love.

ps. some faster rockets are being proposed with other forms of propulsion.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
10 Nov 14

Originally posted by divegeester
I fairly sure no one could make any more of an ass out of you than you do yourself, although I shall have to assume you are going to decline the opportunity to declare your chess honesty. If it was me and I was innocent, I would take the thread as a gifted opportunity to lay it on the line before God and all witnesses that I was so. It is interesting that you won't.
I have already done that before and anyone who is that interested can look it up. There is no point in doing it over and over, especially to the likes of you, because you have it set in your mind what you are going to believe anyway.

It does not really matter what you believe about me, but it does matter what you believe about God and eternal torment in the Lake of Fire and Brimstone.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
10 Nov 14
2 edits

Originally posted by sonship
We simply don't know how big or how small the universe really is.

We can receive information from its outskirts in any direction only up to a point. And it is getting further away every second, the outermost observable boundary.

But it all belongs to a Man. Every inch of it belongs to a [b]Man
- a God-man Jesus.

" ... in the last of these ...[text shortened]... - in His love.

ps. some faster rockets are being proposed with other forms of propulsion.
If there is evidence that the universe is expanding that would mean it was smaller in the beginning. Perhaps God needed to stretch out the heavens to have enough room as he placed more and more stars in the heavens. 😏

Cape Town

Moves
10 Nov 14

Originally posted by josephw
They say the observable universe is 46 million light years in diameter.
That should have been 46 billion light years, but I think we both agree that that figure is quoted by most sources. It is the other figure I am looking for.

I'm trying to find we're I read about the dimensions of a flat universe.
Yes, that is what I have been asking for, yet both you and RJ just keep on posting references to sites that use the word 'flat' but are not talking about the 3 spacial dimensions.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
10 Nov 14

Originally posted by JS357
Yes but the article also ways "When physicists describe the universe as being flat or nearly flat, they're talking geometry: how space and time are warped according to general relativity."

This is not the everyday usage of "shape".
Strange to me that "warped" is used as a descriptive of 3 dimensional space. Strange that there are forces working that bend light so that terms such as relativity are used.

From what I've been reading it seems that little is really known about the size and shape of the universe.

In my minds eye I see the mass of matter existing in a void called space extending outward infinitely. The question seems to be what does "outward" mean if the universe is not just 3 dimensional.

What do you think the universe looks like from beyond the distance of light?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
10 Nov 14

Originally posted by twhitehead
As already pointed out:
1. The 'flatness' they are referring too is not one of the 3 spacial dimensions.
2. The figures you quoted are not in that article.
3. The article says the Universe may be infinite (ie has no shape).

So can you give us any source that gives the figures you keep mentioning, or did you make them up?
"So can you give us any source that gives the figures you keep mentioning, or did you make them up?"

Fix it in your mind twhitehead, josephw doesn't "make" things up, and I don't lie.

I saw the figures. I lost the source. So just forget it. It doesn't really matter. I saw a lot of figures that I have no idea what they mean. I could have merely misread what I thought I saw.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
10 Nov 14

Originally posted by divegeester
You are confusing challenging with bashing.

This is a debate forum where people debate one another; challenging opinions and firmly held beliefs. I choose to confront you for your lack of courage to admit to the forum that you adhere to the horrendous medieval beliefs you hold about God. That you don't like me doing this is neither h ...[text shortened]... o call out you fundies who propagate these horrible beliefs which bring disrepute to the gospel.
A challenge is when one refutes by debate a contention another makes about a topic or subject. Usually objectively.

But bashing is what you do. Bashing is characterized by name calling, insults and belittling, all of which you do consistently against Christians in this forum.

I am merely pointing out the obvious.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
10 Nov 14
1 edit

Originally posted by twhitehead
Assuming that you are capable of understanding science, or the subject of this thread, does make an ass out of you. But your assumptions don't rub off on me.
As already pointed out multiple times, the flatness in those articles do not refer to one of the 3 spacial dimensions.
But not you. You never look like an ass. Not once in your whole life I bet.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
10 Nov 14
1 edit

[b]"So can you give us any source that gives the figures you keep mentioning, or did you make them up?"

Fix it in your mind twhitehead, josephw doesn't "make" things up, and I don't lie.

I saw the figures. I lost the source. So just forget it. It doesn't really matter. I saw a lot of figures that I have no idea what they mean. I could have merely misread what I thought I saw.[/b]
I bet those figures are going to keep changing anyway. It is clear that there is much that they don't know or they would not be using weird and unexplained names for things they can't see, like black hole, dark matter, Oort cloud, etc. I think much of it is just speculation, like the evolutionists do, when they claim they know something like the back of their hand or something like that.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
10 Nov 14

Originally posted by googlefudge
Basically 'flat' in this context means that mater/energy is [roughly speaking] evenly spread out over the
entire universe.

When looked at on the largest scales.

As space is distorted by fluctuations in the mass/energy density the fact that [on large scales] there
is little variation in mass density means that space is largely flat.

The tradi ...[text shortened]... . You might learn something.

Apologies if anyone else has said this [several times] before.
Now that I understand. Thanks for that explanation.

In spite of my obvious ignorance of complicated scientifical stuff I eventually begin to see what is being offered by science as an explanation for this type of thing. I finally see what you're saying. My apologies for being ignorant.

Science is fascinating to say the least. By it do we learn about what we perceive through our senses exists. But it is even better than that. With our minds we develop devices so sensitive we are now close to "seeing" that very moment of the beginning of the universe. Astonishing.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
10 Nov 14

Originally posted by RJHinds
I bet those figures are going to keep changing anyway. It is clear that there is much that they don't know or they would not be using weird and unexplained names for things they can't see, like black hole, dark matter, Oort cloud, etc. I think much of it is just speculation, like the evolutionists do, when they claim they know something like the back of their hand or something like that.
Halarious RJ.

In my post above I was going to include the comment that science probably will never develop any theory that explains or describes the human spirit.

God is invisible. No science can detect Him. God is known by the spirit of the man who has trusted Him. Through faith!

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
10 Nov 14

A challenge is when one refutes by debate a contention another makes about a topic or subject. Usually objectively.

But bashing is what you do. Bashing is characterized by name calling, insults and belittling, all of which you do consistently against Christians in this forum.

I am merely pointing out the obvious.
I consistently challenge horrible beliefs and if I see it, dishonesty.

Cape Town

Moves
10 Nov 14

Originally posted by sonship
But it all belongs to a Man. Every inch of it belongs to a [b]Man - a God-man Jesus.[/b]
Owning something you can never affect in any way is a pretty useless kind of ownership, and applies to most of the universe. Its kind of like a snail on the ocean floor announcing that he owns the Solar System.

Cape Town

Moves
10 Nov 14

But not you. You never look like an ass. Not once in your whole life I bet.
And your point is?

Cape Town

Moves
10 Nov 14

I saw the figures. I lost the source. So just forget it. It doesn't really matter. I saw a lot of figures that I have no idea what they mean. I could have merely misread what I thought I saw.
OK.
I hope that you are now clear that:
1. The observable universe is about 46 billion light years in all directions, which is merely a fact that that is how far we can see.
2. We have no idea how much bigger than that it is, and it may be infinite.
3. Any scientist talking about whether or not the universe 'flat' is not referring to the 3 spacial dimensions.