Why do people think they have a soul?

Why do people think they have a soul?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
22 Jul 14

Originally posted by RJHinds
That belief comes mainly from what people have been taught and what they learn from reading religious books like the Holy Bible.

Why do you believe you do not have a soul? Could it be because you have been taught to believe in evolution over billions of years?
I don't think it took sonhouse billions of years to learn about evolution.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
22 Jul 14

Originally posted by DeepThought
I don't think it took sonhouse billions of years to learn about evolution.
Ha ha. I certainly hope not.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
22 Jul 14

Originally posted by Dasa
The Bible is a book supporting the 6000 year creation story.

That is absolutely absurd ...........so it is no wonder that the Bible does not mention that plants and animals have consciousness,

The Bible does not mention many things and thus it does not have perfect knowledge because it was written 400 years after the death of Jesus by dishonest speculator ...[text shortened]... in the Vedas is the only place to find perfect knowledge on this earth and in all the universes.
You ended with universes, does that mean you believe in more than one universe? If so, how many does the vedas say there are?

r
Suzzie says Badger

is Racist Bastard

Moves
22 Jul 14

Originally posted by sonhouse
I hear people called soulless and such, really bad guys who we now call sociopaths and such but is there any objective evidence of humans having this 'soul' thing? And further, why do humans insist only humans have souls, well, Abrahamic religions insist that, animals don't have souls, yet we see highly intelligent actions done by supposedly dumb animals.
...[text shortened]... then animals do also, of course that is sacrilegious to some but that doesn't bother me at all.
bang on bro

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
23 Jul 14

I hear people called soulless and such, really bad guys who we now call sociopaths and such but is there any objective evidence of humans having this 'soul' thing? And further, why do humans insist only humans have souls, well, Abrahamic religions insist that, animals don't have souls, yet we see highly intelligent actions done by supposedly dumb animals.
...[text shortened]... then animals do also, of course that is sacrilegious to some but that doesn't bother me at all.
It should bother you.

Man is a living soul. Why do you have to have a problem with that? What's the big deal?

Oh! I get it. It's because God made man a living soul, and you can't handle it. It's just too much for you. You need to say it isn't so to satisfy some sociopathic desire not to have a soul. 😲 😉

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
23 Jul 14

Originally posted by josephw
It should bother you.

Man is a living soul. Why do you have to have a problem with that? What's the big deal?

Oh! I get it. It's because God made man a living soul, and you can't handle it. It's just too much for you. You need to say it isn't so to satisfy some sociopathic desire not to have a soul. 😲 😉
Wow, what an arrogant stance.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
24 Jul 14
2 edits

You seem to be the one with the arrogant stance to me. Insisting you know that the Holy Bible is just clap trap to control people appears to be an arrogant stance to me along with your billions and millions of years of past history.

The Holy Bible says that when God breathe the spirit of life into the body of man that He became a living soul. You can just think of your soul as the living part of you that has a mind and a will to think and control your body. The Holy Bible says God made certain animals as living souls also, like a cow and a horse and a sheep and a dog. Dasa could probably tell you more about that because he has the vedas.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
24 Jul 14

You seem to be the one with the arrogant stance to me. Insisting you know that the Holy Bible is just clap trap to control people appears to be an arrogant stance to me along with your billions and millions of years of past history.

The Holy Bible says that when God breathe the spirit of life into the body of man that He became a living soul. You can ju ...[text shortened]... e and a sheep and a dog. Dasa could probably tell you more about that because he has the vedas.
Let me get this straight. Cows, sheep, dogs all have souls but the great apes do not. Nor birds nor lions or giraffes or elephants, just those three listed.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
24 Jul 14

Let me get this straight. Cows, sheep, dogs all have souls but the great apes do not. Nor birds nor lions or giraffes or elephants, just those three listed.
I said animals like those. I was giving examples. That does not mean those are the only four kinds of animals that have souls.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
24 Jul 14

I said animals like those. I was giving examples. That does not mean those are the only four kinds of animals that have souls.
So animals with souls go to heaven? It seems a bit of a stretch to think they converted to Christianity.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
24 Jul 14

So animals with souls go to heaven? It seems a bit of a stretch to think they converted to Christianity.
There is no need for animals to convert to Christianity. Where did you get that crazy idea?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
24 Jul 14
2 edits

"Soul"

Definition: In the Bible, “soul” is translated from the Hebrew ne′phesh and the Greek psy·khe′. Bible usage shows the soul to be a person or an animal or the life that a person or an animal enjoys. To many persons, however, “soul” means the immaterial or spirit part of a human being that survives the death of the physical body. Others understand it to be the principle of life. But these latter views are not Bible teachings.

What does the Bible say that helps us to understand what the soul is?
Gen. 2:7: “Jehovah God proceeded to form the man out of dust from the ground and to blow into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man came to be a living soul.” (Notice that this does not say that man was given a soul but that he became a soul, a living person.) (The part of the Hebrew word here rendered “soul” is ne′phesh. KJ, AS, and Dy agree with that rendering. RS, JB, NAB read “being.” NE says “creature.” Kx reads “person.&rdquo😉
1 Cor. 15:45: “It is even so written: ‘The first man Adam became a living soul.’ The last Adam became a life-giving spirit.” (So the Christian Greek Scriptures agree with the Hebrew Scriptures as to what the soul is.) (The Greek word here translated “soul” is the accusative case of psy·khe′. KJ, AS, Dy, JB, NAB, and Kx also read “soul.” RS, NE, and TEV say “being.&rdquo😉
1 Pet. 3:20: “In Noah’s days . . . a few people, that is, eight souls, were carried safely through the water.” (The Greek word here translated “souls” is psy·khai′, the plural form of psy·khe′. KJ, AS, Dy, and Kx also read “souls.” JB and TEV say “people”; RS, NE, and NAB use “persons.&rdquo😉

Gen. 9:5: “Besides that, your blood of your souls [or, “lives”; Hebrew, from ne′phesh] shall I ask back.”

(Here the soul is said to have blood.)

Josh. 11:11: “They went striking every soul [Hebrew, ne′phesh] that was in it with the edge of the sword.” (The soul is here shown to be something that can be touched by the sword, so these souls could not have been spirits.)

Sorry for the little faces, no idea what those are.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
24 Jul 14

Oh come on sonhouse! I'm just funnin' with ya! Why get so serious?

Didn't you see the winking smiley face?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
25 Jul 14
1 edit

Originally posted by galveston75
"Soul"

Definition: In the Bible, “soul” is translated from the Hebrew ne′phesh and the Greek psy·khe′. Bible usage shows the soul to be a person or an animal or the life that a person or an animal enjoys. To many persons, however, “soul” means the immaterial or spirit part of a human being that survives the death of the physical body. Others understa ...[text shortened]... se souls could not have been spirits.)

Sorry for the little faces, no idea what those are.
If there were only eight souls saved then what happened to the animal souls?

What does this mean?

And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

(1 Thessalonians 5:23 KJV)

P

Moves
25 Jul 14

What character of the bible was born without a soul, during it's lifetime aquired a soul, and before death lost it again?