_Ten Myths About Israel_ by Ilan Pappe (2017)
Ilan Pappe's an Israeli Jewish historian now at the University of Exeter in the UK.
"History lies at the core of every conflict. A true and unbiased understanding
of the past offers the possibility of peace. The distortion or manipulation of
history, in contrast, will only sow disaster. As the example of the Israeli-Palestinian
conflict shows, historical disinformation, even of the most recent past, can do
tremendous harm. This willful misunderstanding of history can promote
oppression and protect a regime of colonization and occupation.
It is not surprising, therefore, that policies of disinformation and distortion
continue to the present and play an important part in perpetuating the conflict,
leaving very little hope for the future.
The Zionist historical account of how the disputed land became the state of Israel is based
on a cluster of myths that subtly cast doubt on the Palestinians' moral right to the land.
Often, the Western mainstream media and political elites accept this set of myths as
a given truth, as well as the justification for Israeli actions across the last sixty or so years."
Here are the titles of the chapters about myths.
1) Palestine was an empty land.
2) The Jews were a people without land.
3) Zionism is Judaism
4) Zionism is not colonialism.
5) The Palestinians voluntarily left their homeland in 1948.
6) The June 1967 war was a war of 'no choice'.
7) Israel is the only democracy in the Middle East.
8) The Oslo mythologies.
9) The Gaza mythologies.
10) The two-states solution is the only way forward.
Regarding these ten myths, Ilan Pappe asserts:
1) The Zionist slogan of Palestine as 'a land without people for a people without land' is absurd.
Before the arrival of Jewish settlers in the late 19th century, the Palestinians
had a thriving society (under the Ottoman Empire) undergoing modernization.
2) The Jewish settlers who began arriving in the late 19th century were far from
being the same people as the Jews who had lived under the Romans around 70 CE.
3) It's wrong to claim that Zionism is Judaism or that anti-Zionism is anti-Semitism.
4) Zionism is a settler colonial project, essentially a form of racist imperialism.
5) Israel forcibly expelled many Palestinians in 1948 and lied about doing so.
6) Israel attacked first in the 1967 war in order to further its conquest
of Arab lands that it had not yet occupied in the 1948 war.
7) Israel is hardly a true democracy; it's a Herrenvolk democracy at best.
8) Was the Oslo process a successful Israeli ploy to deepen its occupation of the Palestinians?
9) The misery of Gaza's people should not be blamed only or primarily upon Hamas.
10) The two-states solution should not be the only framework for the peace process.
I strongly recommend _Ten Myths About Israel_ by Ilan Pappe.