1. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    22 Sep '08 06:31
    This is a very complicated game with a beautiful queen sacrifice. It is a very famous game, but I present it here for those who haven't seen (and admired) it. Rashid Nezhmetdinov was a very strong IM. He has a nice scalp of Tal among his best games. I believe he was also the USSR champion of draughts (checkers?). Another interesting thing about him, is that Bobby Fischer used a lot of his openings. He played the King's Indian Defense, Sicilian Defense, Bc4 in the Open Sicilian, and the Two Knights' Caro-Kann (all Fischer weapons). In the following game, Lev Polugaevsky had white.

2. Joined
    12 Feb '05
    Moves
    22 Sep '08 09:51
    For the record, 24. Rh1? was the losing move.
  3. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    22 Sep '08 10:04
    Here is Nezhmetdinov-Tal.
    It is hard to believe someone did this to Mikhail Tal !!!

It's mate in after 32. ...Ke8 33. Bf7 #.
  4. e4
    Moves
    22 Sep '08 15:46
    Tal was actually on the receving end of quite a few brilliancies.
    It was his style that encouraged players to get their sacs in first.

I have Nezhmetdinov's book, it's in Russian but you do not need
    to know Russian to play over and marvel at the brilliant games.
  5. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    22 Sep '08 16:001 edit
    That is quite a nice game. When I saw this thread, I assumed the game that was going to be posted was this one:

Truly an amazing game. So many beautiful quite moves that display a total understanding of material imbalances, the initiative, and amazing calculation. Bravo! 😀
  6. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    22 Sep '08 16:26
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    That is quite a nice game. When I saw this thread, I assumed the game that was going to be posted was this one:

[pgn]

[Event "Rostov"]
    [Site "Rostov"]
    [Date "1962.??.??"]
    [EventDate "?"]
    [Round "?"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [White "Nezhmetdinov"]
    [Black "Oleg L Chernikov"]
    [ECO "B35"]
    [WhiteElo "?"]
    [BlackElo "?"]
    [PlyCount "65"]

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 N ...[text shortened]... material imbalances, the initiative, and amazing calculation. Bravo! 😀
    Real masterpiece.
  7. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    22 Sep '08 20:213 edits
    Ah yes, Nezhmetdinov. When he was good, he was very, very good.

But when he was bad...

... he was horrid!
  8. Jerusalem
    Moves
    22 Sep '08 20:28
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    Ah yes, Nezhmetdinov. When he was good, he was very, very good.

But when he was bad...

[pgn]
    [Event "Rostov-on-Don 1st category"]
    [Site "Rostov-on-Don 1st category"]
    [Date "1936.??.??"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "Alexander Konstantinov"]
    [Black "Rashid Nezhmetdinov"]
    [Result "1-0"]

1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. e5 c5 4. dxc5 Bxc5 5. Bd3 Nc6 6. Qe2 Qc7
    7. N ...[text shortened]... c3 Bxc3+
    12. bxc3 Qxc3+ 13. Qd2 Qxa1 14. Bb1
    1-0
    [/pgn]

... he was horrid!
    ...and black resigned because 15.Bb2
  9. Joined
    23 Sep '07
    Moves
    22 Sep '08 21:01
    ^ Hey that exact game was also in the newpaper puzzles. Was super easy, good to see the actual game it came from.
    You can't blame him for a dumb game, everyone has had those.
  10. Joined
    08 May '07
    Moves
    23 Sep '08 02:2015 edits
    Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
    I believe he was also the USSR champion of draughts (checkers).
    My father was a master checker player. By the way, he is 79 and recently crushed a state champion. We've been worrying about him losing his memory, and he played checkers as strong as he did 50 years ago. That was in incredible moment for me.

Draughts or American Checkers is played on an 8x8 board just like the chessboard. Russian checkers, or international checkers, is played on an 10x10 board. There are also many variations to the 8x8 board. There are many different standards for this game, e.g., Spanish Checkers, Polish Checkers, even Pool Checkers. Some play on the light squares while others play on the dark squares. Pool checkers even allows the pieces to move like bishops capturing pieces at a distance.

I have a collection of hundreds of books on checkers. Many of them date back to the mid-1800's.

Rudolf Anderssen, the chess players who played a match with Paul Morphy, was also the world checker champion. Several other chess masters were world class checker champions too.

Larry Evans, U.S. Chess champion several times, co-authored several books about chess/checkers with Tommy Wiswell.

http://www.bobnewell.net/nucleus/checkers.php

Checkers is not an easy game. It is just not in fashion these days. Opening systems, problem solving, study of the endgame, etc. All of these are just as important in checkers as in chess.

http://www.edcollins.com/checkers/index.html

American Checkers was considered mastered in the 1940's. A deck of cards was added giving the first two moves of the game. This too became boring after a decade or so and the deck was changed to three moves. That is, the first three moves of the game are predetermined by the card selected before the start of the game. These games also used clocks.

Chinook, a computer program, has now played every move possible in these openings and has determined the game to be drawn from the start unless someone makes a mistake. A few openings were believed to be lost from the start and were not included in the deck of cards, but this was based on the opinions and experience of the masters. Chinook also proved these openings that had been discarded to be losing moves.

http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/~chinook/

Marion Tinsley, former world checker champion, once said that checkers was like the ocean because of the vast amount of moves possible while checkers was like a deep well. There are basic techniques in checkers that may be 35 moves deep, and you must know all of these positions before you can even start to play competitively. That's what he meant by "like a deep well." In checkers you must be able to calculate very deep while most of the time in chess we may see four or five moves deep.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marion_Tinsley

Who was it that replied to the question, "How many moves deep can you see?" "I only see one move, but it is always the best one."

http://usacheckers.com/index.php

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree