Litus Gambit

Litus Gambit

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E

Moves
25 Oct 09

Does anyone play this opening? Ilya Odessky mentions it in his book Play 1.b3!

I was wondering what the main ideas were behind it and what are some basic opening lines.

g

Moves
26 Oct 09

ChessMaster calls this the Nimzowitsch-Larsen Attack. Show the moves too this so called gambit. I never did like playing against 1. b3 .... .

E

Moves
27 Oct 09

1.b3 d5 2.Bb2 Bg4 3.f3 Bh4 (Bf4) 4.e4

NMD

Moves
27 Oct 09

Oops those moves do not compute.

System failure imminent.😕

E

Moves
27 Oct 09

Oops, you're right. I think you can figure out what they were supposed to be. If not, the correction should be Bh5 (Bf5).

g

Moves
27 Oct 09

Originally posted by Eladar
1.b3 d5 2.Bb2 Bg4 3.f3 Bh4 (Bf4) 4.e4
If I remember correctly the book on this opening is for Black to take the offered pawn and return it by playing c6 then Nd7. I will assume that the true gambit is to take the f pawn.

E

Moves
27 Oct 09

I was trying to get info for the white side of the board.

NMD

Moves
28 Oct 09

This still seems very mysterious lets see if a pgn will help

That does help a little bit.

g

Moves
28 Oct 09

Looking at a few web pages about this opening it seems to me that the opening is at best trapy for the Black player that does not know about the opening. Looking at some database games of this opening it seems to me that Black has little to be concerned about. Black can easily equalize. Taking the f pawn could result in the loss of the Bishop if it was played to h4. White does not give Black any material but is offering bait. This opening does not seem like a gambit opening to me.

E

Moves
28 Oct 09

Originally posted by gambit3
Looking at a few web pages about this opening it seems to me that the opening is at best trapy for the Black player that does not know about the opening. Looking at some database games of this opening it seems to me that Black has little to be concerned about. Black can easily equalize. Taking the f pawn could result in the loss of the Bishop if it was play ...[text shortened]... Black any material but is offering bait. This opening does not seem like a gambit opening to me.
I agree gambit. There really doesn't seem much for white. Here is one line given in the book.

There really doesn't seem to be much there for white after, Qd7. Therefore I was wondering why white would even play this line. Sure, I could see Nf3 but that still puts white one pawn down.

Dale,

I think it is rather odd too. That's why I started this thread. I don't see any point to the opening. I'd like to know the idea behind it.

g

Moves
28 Oct 09

I think that I.M. Ilya Odessky seems to champion this opening for blitz games because he has been able to win with it. He was able to beat G.M. Isoif Dortman and G.M. Yasser Seirawan. The Seirwan win was to a time out. When a player is faced with an unusual opening he may play one or more poor moves. With so little time he was able to beat the unprepared Black player. I have no idea if he would use the opening in longer then blitz times. After he beat Seirawan he would not grant him a rematch and boasted to his friends about beating Seirawan.

NMD

Moves
29 Oct 09
1 edit

Its a gambit ive never seen b4 but it seems extremely easy for white to develop super fast.
I`m willing to play the white side in blitz games on RHP if anyone wants.

I also predict black cannot play 6...Qd7 in response to that queen check since white can play 7.Qxb7 and if 7...Qc6 perhaps 8.Bb5

HMM although 8...fxg2 might be good for black.

I dont know what to think now actually its seems complicated in any event so its not easy for black even if its good for him.

A

Moves
29 Oct 09

Yeah, Bxc6 check...... ouch, and that pawns fall whitout saving the black rook and your queen is lost....

you can find better.

g

Moves
29 Oct 09

Originally posted by National Master Dale
Its a gambit ive never seen b4 but it seems extremely easy for white to develop super fast.
I`m willing to play the white side in blitz games on RHP if anyone wants.

I also predict black cannot play 6...Qd7 in response to that queen check since white can play 7.Qxb7 and if 7...Qc6 perhaps 8.Bb5

HMM although 8...fxg2 might be good for bla ...[text shortened]... actually its seems complicated in any event so its not easy for black even if its good for him.
After 6. Qb5+ Black should play Bd7?

g

Moves
29 Oct 09

After 6. Qb5+ Qd7 7. Q.b7 Qe6+ 8.?. Black should return the pawn and play c6 and Nd7 to avoid all of this? Perhaps Black could play through the traps and force White to prove his opening is strong enough if Black prefers this style of play.