1. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 13:25
    If you're like me, you need another chess book like you need a hole in your head. But Yasser has a new book out, Chess Duels. I knew it might be a hit when I noticed that online chess stores seemed to have a hard time keeping the thing in stock.

Now Silman's come out with the first major review of the book that I've seen:
    http://www.jeremysilman.com/book_reviews_js/Chess_Duels.html

Let the feeding frenzy begin!

P.S. I noticed that the signed and unsigned copies are the same price. Yaz is saying his signature isn't worth anything? 😉
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 13:56
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    If you're like me, you need another chess book like you need a hole in your head. But Yasser has a new book out, Chess Duels. I knew it might be a hit when I noticed that online chess stores seemed to have a hard time keeping the thing in stock.

Now Silman's come out with the first major review of the book that I've seen:
    http://www.jeremysilman.com/boo ...[text shortened]... nd unsigned copies are the same price. Yaz is saying his signature isn't worth anything? 😉
    i love that kind of anecdotal chess book, my last one was Tigran Petrosian, his life and his games. In it you get a real feel for the tournaments, the characters of the players involved, Geller. confident like a peacock, the sorrow and the jubilation, how the Russians teased and played Fischer, honestly the biography was often as good as the games. The video that i have seen is that Yaz is a blether (a talkative story teller), whose gift just might be in producing a thoroughly entertaining and enjoyable chess book. i gonna see if i can get it. ( i gave up on my Karpov one, it wasn't scandalous or scathing enough for my tastes, no heroes, no villains, no damsels in distress). BTW why is Yaz not president of USCF.
  3. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 14:20
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    BTW why is Yaz not president of USCF.
    He lives in Amsterdam now, I think. But even if he were living in the U.S. , I'm not sure everyone would want to descend to the depths of USCF politics. 🙂
  4. Joined
    24 Jun '10
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 19:19
    Can somebody post the review? I refuse to visit Silman's site on principle. It's not that I don't think he's a talented chess writer, it's the fact that his site promotes astrology, "Western Magick", and other pseudoscience/philosophy. I mean come on.

I took a look at this book in Barnes and Noble and was very impressed. I really could not put it down and I spent about 2 hours flipping through it. Seirawan's a very talented writer, and in my experience seems like a genuinely nice guy. He obviously put a lot of effort into this book: the annotations are great, the stories are fascinating and personal... it's certainly not ghost written like most game collections! Lastly, it has a hard cover, which is something I wish every chess book had...
  5. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 19:25
    Originally posted by DivGradCurl
    Can somebody post the review? I refuse to visit Silman's site on principle. It's not that I don't think he's a talented chess writer, it's the fact that his site promotes astrology, "Western Magick", and other pseudoscience/philosophy. I mean come on.

I took a look at this book in Barnes and Noble and was very impressed. I really could not put ...[text shortened]... ections! Lastly, it has a hard cover, which is something I wish every chess book had...
    I imagine posting the entire review might run afoul of copyright issues. Fair use usually only allows posting bits and pieces. He did give the book his highest recommendation.

BTW, I don't have to agree with every one of Silman's belief systems to visit his web site, but to each his own. 🙂
  6. Joined
    24 Jun '10
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 19:42
    Mad Rook, in my opinion the crap his website promotes is on the same level as Scientology, Homeopathy, etc. It's a scam and it just disgusts me frankly. I don't want anything to do with haha. Viva la culture that doesn't suck.
  7. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 20:47
    Originally posted by DivGradCurl
    Mad Rook, in my opinion the crap his website promotes is on the same level as Scientology, Homeopathy, etc. It's a scam and it just disgusts me frankly. I don't want anything to do with haha. Viva la culture that doesn't suck.
    I couldn't understand what all the angst was about, so I visited the other parts of his web site. And...yes, I'm afraid so... I've been converted. I'm right this very minute surfing the net in search of crystals and any other nic-nac that will show me the way to true inner peace and happiness. And I owe it all to you and Mr. Silman's wonderful web site. I'm off now, must drive to the local mall and find those crystals.

😉
  8. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    11 Jul '10 22:37
    Bump.

This may be old news to some, but I just learned of a recent ChessFM audio interview with Yasser. A two-parter, it's mostly trying to generate interest for Seirawan's new book. Most ChessFM broadcasts are for ICC members only, but this one is free to all.

Vintage Seirawan, I thought it was worth the time to listen.

http://webcast.chessclub.com/Watson/2010_06_15/Watson_Chesstalk.html

http://webcast.chessclub.com/Watson/2010_06_22/Watson_Chesstalk.html
  9. Joined
    10 Dec '06
    Moves
    12 Jul '10 18:06
    I just read the review, and the book sounds very good.
  10. Standard memberwargamer66
    Steve B.
    Salt Lake City
    Moves
    13 Jul '10 05:49
    I picked up one of the signed copies, and it is quite good I think. There is lots of talk, and interesting games. I met Seirawan very briefly at the 1999 US Championship in Salt Lake City and was impressed with how nice a guy he was. He was very polite to us patzers and an all-around cool guy.
  11. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    13 Jul '10 23:34
    Originally posted by wargamer66
    I picked up one of the signed copies, and it is quite good I think. There is lots of talk, and interesting games. I met Seirawan very briefly at the 1999 US Championship in Salt Lake City and was impressed with how nice a guy he was. He was very polite to us patzers and an all-around cool guy.
    I had a similar experience meeting Karpov- there's something about meeting them that takes you beyond the media caricatures and makes them human.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree