1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    07 Sep '10 18:12
    I'd like to post my games from the recently completed NYS Championship where I played in the U1800. Though it was my first OTB tournament in a year and I was playing in the U1800 for the first time, my final result: 1W 2L 2D was a bit disappointing. In fairness as you will see, I had an easy win in my last game that somehow faded to a draw (in a position where I was still better; fatigue was definitely a factor). Then again, the "box" says I should have lost this one though the win isn't totally obvious (or at least wasn't obvious to those of us doing the post-mortem; no one found it). Openings were kinda fun though; I got to play a Budapest in game 1, an early piece sac against the Najdorf in my game 3 loss (I still think it was sound) and a Scotch Blumenfeld in game 5 (where I had a crushing attack). Anyway for your amusement and comment with light annotations:

2B. My beloved Budapest which:
    3W. He chickens out of accepting (which many OTB players do);
    3B. dxe4 is most common, but I decided to keep some tension;
    5W. A deferred acceptance after all;
    5B. Apparently a novelty though it seems reasonable;
    8B. I started worrying about a3-b4 winning the Knight, so wood chopping commences. f5 is an alternative though it seems to leave me a pawn down without the usual Budapest compensation of White having doubled c-pawns;
    10B. The e5 pawn is a goner but;
    11W. My opponent finds a way to post an annoying knight on d6;
    12B. Probably c5 would have been better preventing White from anchoring the Knight.
    15B. When I played f5, I thought I could continue with Rf6-Nf7 getting rid of the Knight. Alas I realized that after Nf7, White could respond Bc4 and I'd drop the exchange or worse. Rushing to be "active", I play a bad move which could have been tactically refuted. Probably g6 was best aiming to get my King off the diagonal to g7; there really wasn't that much of a rush.
    16W. Fortune favors the bold. I had missed that after 16 exf4 Rxf4 17 Re1 is a killer because I can't retreat my Knight because of back rank weakness caused by my trapped Bishop because of White's strong Knight outpost on d6. The "box" gives a number of lines which all wind up with me losing the exchange at least.
    16B. Engines like Rb8 and then bringing the Bishop to b7, but this looks senseless to me; the pieces are just as much tied up in that setup as they are now. Instead, I try to maneuver to trade my bad and inactive Bishop for White's good one (yes, I've been reading Silman). I work towards that goal when:
    18W. Manna from heaven. White trades his dominating Knight for my "bad" Bishop allowing me to connect Rooks to boot.
    19W. Obviously he wants to seize the open file and get a Rook to the 7th. But I have a surprise for him.
    20W. My best move of the game forcing the exchange of the Bishop for the Knight and getting great activity for my Rooks. It also leaves White with an inferior pawn structure in the a Rook endgame.

But I hate endgames and didn't like those where I had to cede my d7 pawn to win his on h2 or c5. So I offered the draw on move 25 which my young opponent first declined and then re-offered without making a move. I instructed him to make a move first (always willing to help those without proper etiquette skills) but accepted after his vanilla 26th move. Maybe the endgame experts here have a way to play for advantage; Rybka and Fritz have the final position right around 0.00 (but what do they know).

I'll post some more later; feedback would be appreciated.
  2. e4
    Moves
    07 Sep '10 18:512 edits
    Ah OTB games...Thank you.

If I see another FICS or ICC Blitz game I'll scream.

(why post games they played there on here? are their forums crap?).

No.1 you can slip the notes into the games. I know it's
    a minor hassle but it really works. They see the note with the diagram.

{put comment in these things after the move you want the note to appear}

(see last blog for example).

Going tp watch the football (soccer) but will be back.

Edit 1 - Game 1 fizzled out - I want to see the piece sac.
  3. timed out again
    Moves
    07 Sep '10 19:01
    If you are going to be playing lots of OTB games then I would play in an OTB style here and slow games on places like ICC if you have access. This would enable you to make decisions under pressure and get a feel for the opposition.

This game looked drawn, but if I was white I would definitely have gone for the jugular with the d6 knight, but first he should have played f3 and e4 to preserve the kingside.
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    07 Sep '10 19:12
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Ah OTB games...Thank you.

If I see another FICS or ICC Blitz game I'll scream.

(why post games they played there on here? are their forums crap?).

No.1 you can slip the notes into the games. I know it's
    a minor hassle but it really works. They see the note with the diagram.

{put comment in these things after the move you want the note to app ...[text shortened]... all (soccer) but will be back.

Edit 1 - Game 1 fizzled out - I want to see the piece sac.
    Piece sac is Game 3; probably tomorrow.

In retrospect, I probably should have brought my Queen back to e7 (it's normal post in the Budapest) rather than swapping it
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    07 Sep '10 21:021 edit
    Game #2 my lone win:

2W. After many unpleasant experiences against the Winawer, I've been playing the King's Indian Attack against the French for the last couple of years. The opening stays in standard book for a while.
    8B. This has been played over a 100 times in the Chessbase database, but it seems like a waste of time to me. White's not going to contest the advance of the b-pawn for a while.
    10W. Nf1 is more common and better though the game transposes as it happens.
    12W. Finally out of book though the standard move Bf4 is better. Black's queenside pawn storm marches on either way.
    14W. Another "bad" Bishop for "good" bishop attempt which Black allows after wasting a tempo with h6.
    16W. A touch move error; I was going to play this Knight to d2 for some reason, but then realized that simply drops the d-pawn. There was no other square to move it to.
    16B. The beginning of a miscalculated sequence by Black that leaves me on top.
    19B. Black has dropped a pawn, but perhaps figures that his chances for attack against the a and c pawn compensates but he misses:
    20W. White winds up with both Knights and a pawn for a Rook. An observation is that the most common error I see among mid level OTB players is to miss combos down long diagonals.
    22B. I get a little careless here; Be4 or Bf3 would have lessened Black's chance for mischief down the diagonal. Black gets some annoying counterplay as the game proceeds.
    27W. A mistake which Ra2 would have punished giving Black an outside passer.
    28W. The move I should have played on 27.
    30B. Black has to allow the trade off of his strong Bishop; Be4 is refuted by Nd2.
    32W. The beginning of a strong attacking sequence which Black has no adequate defense to.
    33W. Obvious but strong.

The rest requires little comment; I missed a forced mate but had less than a minute for my last 4 moves before the first time control (40/120, SD/60) so that's a bit understandable. Black was cooked absent an appalling blunder.

So ended the first day and I felt pretty good; a draw against the highest rated player in my section (according to the wall boards) and a convincing win. But Sunday was not to be so kind ..................

(To be continued)
  6. timed out again
    Moves
    07 Sep '10 21:44

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    07 Sep '10 22:031 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I very much appreciate your point about this being a chess forum, but I think Greenpawn34 also has a point- posting a game from another site here for comments is a little like buying a Toyota and then going to the Honda dealership because the car makes a funny noise.

That aside, I think GP's point was that seeing a serious OTB game played under a tournament time control, and especially one played in a tournament where a state title is at stake, has a little more cachet than a 3 minute blitz game played anywhere.

I'm not sure what brought on the blog comment, but I assume it was a byproduct of your passion on the issue.

In any event, no1marauder is givinig us some quality OTB games to enjoy, so on with the show! And as a long time KIA player, I am REALLY enjoying this!

Paul
  8. timed out again
    Moves
    07 Sep '10 22:14

9. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    07 Sep '10 22:151 edit

10. timed out again
    Moves
    07 Sep '10 22:28

11. timed out again
    Moves
    07 Sep '10 22:31

12. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    07 Sep '10 22:44
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Game #2 my lone win:

[pgn]

[Event "NYS Championship"]
    [Site "?"]
    [Date "2010.09.04"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "Kevin J. Brown"]
    [Black "David Worl"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [ECO "C00"]
    [WhiteElo "1636"]
    [BlackElo "1679"]
    [PlyCount "89"]
    [EventDate "2010.??.??"]

1.e4 e6 2.d3 d5 3.Nd2 Nf6 4.Ngf3 c5 5.g3 Nc6 6.Bg2 Be7 7.O-O O-O 8.Re1
    Rb8 9.e5 Nd7 10.h ...[text shortened]... was not to be so kind ..................

(To be continued)
    Considering the time pressure, the attack was awesome! I particular enjoyed the play as it went from one side of the board to the other, and the exploitation of the material imbalance. Congrats on a well-played game!
  13. Joined
    08 Sep '10
    Moves
    08 Sep '10 11:47
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Game #2 my lone win:

[pgn]

[Event "NYS Championship"]
    [Site "?"]
    [Date "2010.09.04"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "Kevin J. Brown"]
    [Black "David Worl"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [ECO "C00"]
    [WhiteElo "1636"]
    [BlackElo "1679"]
    [PlyCount "89"]
    [EventDate "2010.??.??"]

1.e4 e6 2.d3 d5 3.Nd2 Nf6 4.Ngf3 c5 5.g3 Nc6 6.Bg2 Be7 7.O-O O-O 8.Re1
    Rb8 9.e5 Nd7 10.h ...[text shortened]... was not to be so kind ..................

(To be continued)
    I liked the game, I just might look up some KIA vs French lines because my 1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Bd3 is getting old.
  14. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    08 Sep '10 14:22
    Just wanted to try using the comment feature. Here's no1marauder's game one more time:

Game #2 my lone win:

The rest requires little comment; I missed a forced mate but had less than a minute for my last 4 moves before the first time control (40/120, SD/60) so that's a bit understandable. Black was cooked absent an appalling blunder.

So ended the first day and I felt pretty good; a draw against the highest rated player in my section (according to the wall boards) and a convincing win. But Sunday was not to be so kind ..................

(To be continued)
  15. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    08 Sep '10 15:17

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree