1. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    18 Apr '06 14:28
    How do you meet 1.e4? Why?

I played the Sicilian religiously for 25 years, have had good results with the Petroff and several variations of the Spanish, but have been employing the French as my primary response to 1.e4 for about three years. Since adopting the French, my OTB rating has begun to climb again.
  2. Parallel Universe
    Moves
    18 Apr '06 14:30
    Originally posted by Wulebgr

I played the Sicilian religiously for 25 years, have had good results with the Petroff and several variations of the Spanish, but have been employing the French as my primary response to 1.e4 for about three years. Since adopting the French, my OTB rating has begun to climb again.
    What about playing the French do you attribute to your OTB rating climb?
  3. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    18 Apr '06 14:36
    Originally posted by pinkthunder
    What about playing the French do you attribute to your OTB rating climb?
    Better results. Original play. Forcing me to think positionally as well as tactically.
  4. Parallel Universe
    Moves
    18 Apr '06 14:36
    I usually play e6 (sometimes 1...d6, 2...Nf6, 3...g6, 4...Bg7). Against considerably lower-rated players, however, I'll play c5. I like e6. It fits my style and offers counter-attacking possibilities.
  5. Parallel Universe
    Moves
    18 Apr '06 14:37
    Better results. Original play. Forcing me to think positionally as well as tactically.
    Original play because the opening is less-known/understood? Is it your finding that people in general only know basic ideas about the French?
  6. Big D
    Moves
    18 Apr '06 15:46
    It could be that by changing your opening, you're forcing yourself to think differently about chess, because the positions that arise from the French (i.e. doubled pawns, pawn phalanx, kingside attack, bad bishop) are peculiar to that opening. Playing over some of the games where Botvinnik and Boleslavsky defended the French will really broaden your overall understanding of the game.
  7. London
    Moves
    18 Apr '06 17:14
    Originally posted by der schwarze Ritter
    It could be that by changing your opening, you're forcing yourself to think differently about chess, because the positions that arise from the French (i.e. doubled pawns, pawn phalanx, kingside attack, bad bishop) are peculiar to that opening. Playing over some of the games where Botvinnik and Boleslavsky defended the French will really broaden your overall understanding of the game.
    What is a pawn phalax?
  8. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    18 Apr '06 17:46
    I say 1...c5

Gives black a reasonable chance, fun lively games, tons of tactics, majority of Gm's play it, etc...

I play 1...e5 always, tried 1...c5 in otb when I first joined since i saw gm's playing it, didn't know much about it, got crushed twice. Switched back to 1...e5.

Read Starting out the Sicilian and now i'm trying it out again. First in CC then when i'm comfortable i'll play it in OTB, althought i did play it onces in feb to avoid the vienna gambit since i had black and didn't like facing it.
  9. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    18 Apr '06 18:56
    I like 1...d6, the Pirc defense. White players are usually not as well prepared for it as they are for other more common defenses (sicilian, french, caro, etc.). Plus, there are a good many who think it is a 'weak' defense, or 'unsound', and play over-optimistically against it.
  10. Brasilia, Brazil
    Moves
    18 Apr '06 19:15
    I like 1 ... d5, the Scandinavian.
    Theoretically it's not the best play for black, but it's usually less known by the opponents (never underestimate suprise effect, specially OTB).
  11. buzz'n near your ear
    Moves
    18 Apr '06 21:17
    I used to play ..c5 Najdorf starting out in competative play, not sure why I stopped playing it though, tried out the Pirc for a bit, but didn't like playing against Bc4 lines. Then switched to the French, loved the Winawer line and the advance, but hated playing against Tarrasch/KIA/Chigorin. I've finally settled on Alekhine's Defense, something about it that's rather addictive.
  12. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    18 Apr '06 21:37
    The Caro-Kann,1...c6,has been my mainstay vs.1.e4 for the last 25 years. I back it up with 1....Nc6,Nimzovitches Defense,as a good surprize weapon. 1....e5 is the absolute best response to 1.e4,but there are too many lines,and too much theory to know.
  13. Under Cover
    Moves
    19 Apr '06 01:50
    OTB and online blitz I play almost exclusively 1...c6. It is solid and easy to understand how the pieces fit together, and fits well with a Slav or Semi-Slav vs. 1. d4. At RHP I have experimented recently with 1...c5 (with considerable help from various databases and books) and 1...e5, following the ideas in Larry Kaufmann's book (The Chess Advantage in Black and White). I liked the Sicilian alot, but am nowhere near ready to implement it in "real" games.
  14. Forgotten
    Moves
    19 Apr '06 02:50
    Originally posted by Freddie2006
    What is a pawn phalax?
    Phalanx: Greek military formation invented by Alexander the Great and perfected by the Roman legions. In chess, pawns form a phalanx when there are at least two of them standing next to each other on adjacent files. This is typically a strong formation, since a phalanx controls a minimum of four squares immediately in front of it.
  15. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    19 Apr '06 02:57
    Originally posted by BLReid
    OTB and online blitz I play almost exclusively 1...c6. It is solid and easy to understand how the pieces fit together, and fits well with a Slav or Semi-Slav vs. 1. d4. At RHP I have experimented recently with 1...c5 (with considerable help from various databases and books) and 1...e5, following the ideas in Larry Kaufmann's book (The Chess Advantage in Blac ...[text shortened]... White). I liked the Sicilian alot, but am nowhere near ready to implement it in "real" games.
    i also used to think of the caro-K as a thing that fit in with the slav ...

but the slav is very dangerous - i do not like the slav against someone using an aggressive database.

i am at present trying to fit my response to d4 into my C-K plans and still avoid the slav ...

anyway - when they play 1d5, i still cannot resist 1 .. c6 and hope for the best 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree